People who cruise in the passing lane

Ser Scot A Ellison

I know two wrongs don't make a right. However, I find it utterly necessary to cut off a left lane blocker on the right with my blinker going on. Perhaps my douche move makes them aware of their douche move.

See, this is why it is better to have that person in the passing lane move over - otherwise you get asshats swerving in and around traffic causing an even more dangerous situation.

There are ALWAYS asshats swerving around traffic, no matter what the speed. Seriously. I have been cruising along at a stately 85 mph in a 70 zone and I can't count the number of times some maniac has blown my hair back as he blisters by at 100+.

Maybe it's just I-75. :dunno:

There are ALWAYS asshats swerving around traffic, no matter what the speed. Seriously. I have been cruising along at a stately 85 mph in a 70 zone and I can't count the number of times some maniac has blown my hair back as he blisters by at 100+.

Maybe it's just I-75. :dunno:

Oh, absolutely - you could be doing 90 in the passing lane and still have someone creeping up your pooper, it's the "I'm going to show you by getting you back" that adds on top.

I remember driving around the beltway near DC years ago - I was following a friend down to FL. I looked down at my speedometer at one point and was doing 110 MPH. In the center lane. And was getting passed like I was nailed to the road. There were all sorts of cars that weren't just going by me, they were pulling away quickly.

A few months ago I was going 70 in a 50. I was following another car (though not on his ass), we were in the left lane, and as we were approaching two cars in the right I checked my rearview and see this black BMW X5 bearing down on me. The guy cut to my right and then cut in front, between myself and the car I was following, just before he rear-ended the first of the two cars on the right. He then got stuck behind the car I was following until he was able to dart out past the second car in the right lane. He had to have at least been doing 90 - 100 before he started these maneuvers.

It all happened so fast - it was one of those moments where, from the moment I saw the guy approaching, I just stayed where I was and the speed I was going (no sudden movements!) so as not to cause an accident.

The car in front of me moved over and I took a mental snapshot of the Beemer driver's plate (naughty Pennsylvanian) before he took off. I then thought about calling the cops and 30 seconds later decided it needed to be done. It was the beginning of the morning commute the guy was driving in such a dangerous manner (I mean, speeding is one thing, the stunt he pulled was so fucking dangerous). So I called the local cops and because we would soon be out of their jurisdiction, they forwarded to call to the state police.

Meanwhile, the guy slowed down some but continued to weave (which was really unnecessary at this point because we went from a 2- then 3- then 5- lane highway with plenty high speed cruising opportunities if you just stay in your lane and chill). I could still see him a mile or two ahead of me (I had no interest in trying to keep up).

Holy shit I have never seen so many state troopers along this stretch of highway ready to pounce. It was extraordinary. Four miles and 5 troopers later I see a sixth trooper peel out from his hiding place and take off after the guy. I saw the guy getting pulled over just as I was passing by.

There are three types of people driving on my road. There is me, who is the greatest driver the world has ever seen. There are the people going slower than me, who are cautious jackasses who need to get off my road. And there are the people going faster than me, who are reckless jackasses who need to get off my road.

In other words, get off my damned roads so I can drive in peace!

Oh man, Bale. That is like my "catch an asshole driver" fantasy come true.

:lol:

Yeah. But honestly, I really did debate as to whether or not I was being a prickly asshole about it or if it really needed to be done because I, ya know, have a history ;) and didn't want to be a hypocrite. But then I thought, "Of all the shit I've pulled driving, I would never have attempted such a dangerous move that was going to be all for naught," because I would have taken into consideration I would have gotten stuck behind cars in either lane and no matter what would have to wait until one lane of cars completely passed the other before I could move on. The risk he took was beyond my reasonability meter.

Oh man, Bale. That is like my "catch an asshole driver" fantasy come true.

Seriously, that is awesome Bale. I can't count the times I've prayed for a trap to be just over the next rise or around the bend so that jackass can get nailed. Course now without a handsfree device in my car, it's a little harder to make that call.

Hahaha, I'll tell my husband. I've been doing it for years here, so it always felt forced to me to grumble in silence while over there! Now when I am back up north I horn people and flash them as much as I want. :lol:

I totally did the undertaking thing in the UK as well. Without it, driving up the M23/A23 would be unbearable.

Your husband must have the patience of a Saint not to do it all the time, I've not been on the M23 for a while, the M25 though I think is my most hated road ever.

A few months ago I was going 70 in a 50. I was following another car (though not on his ass), we were in the left lane, and as we were approaching two cars in the right I checked my rearview and see this black BMW X5 bearing down on me. The guy cut to my right and then cut in front, between myself and the car I was following, just before he rear-ended the first of the two cars on the right. He then got stuck behind the car I was following until he was able to dart out past the second car in the right lane. He had to have at least been doing 90 - 100 before he started these maneuvers.

It all happened so fast - it was one of those moments where, from the moment I saw the guy approaching, I just stayed where I was and the speed I was going (no sudden movements!) so as not to cause an accident.

The car in front of me moved over and I took a mental snapshot of the Beemer driver's plate (naughty Pennsylvanian) before he took off. I then thought about calling the cops and 30 seconds later decided it needed to be done. It was the beginning of the morning commute the guy was driving in such a dangerous manner (I mean, speeding is one thing, the stunt he pulled was so fucking dangerous). So I called the local cops and because we would soon be out of their jurisdiction, they forwarded to call to the state police.

Meanwhile, the guy slowed down some but continued to weave (which was really unnecessary at this point because we went from a 2- then 3- then 5- lane highway with plenty high speed cruising opportunities if you just stay in your lane and chill). I could still see him a mile or two ahead of me (I had no interest in trying to keep up).

Holy shit I have never seen so many state troopers along this stretch of highway ready to pounce. It was extraordinary. Four miles and 5 troopers later I see a sixth trooper peel out from his hiding place and take off after the guy. I saw the guy getting pulled over just as I was passing by.

Is it wrong that I find his biggest crime is driving a BMW X5?.

Isn't that what your computer is for?

The Beed knows I am no longer in the UK :crying: so they have condemned me to watch BBC world, which is a very poor substitute for the Real Thing. (I even miss Antiques Roadshow. Yep, I am that sad.)

In fairness there are some conventions that are really good - like if you're driving on a standard single-lane road and you've got a car coming up behind you, you get over as far to the verge as possible so they can overtake you more easily, which almost everyone does.

But when they're insane, they're really insane.

Although not as insane as Russia, as you only have to enter 'Russia dashboard cam' into youtube to find out.

Oh yes, we do that here as well in Sweden, the getting over as far to the verge as we can to let people pass, which seems like an unknown concept in the UK. Or perhaps it's just that there are very small or non existent verges!

I do not disbelieve you about the Russians. A couple of years ago I worked in Slovakia for a little while teaching a course and they told me all sorts of stories about Russians. After that, I felt absolutely terrified of all things Russian. :lol:

All the darkest traits in my personality always come out when driving. I'm otherwise an extremely calm person (never been in a fight, and only once or twice been in a really heated argument), but I can fucking murder the asshole pedestrians who take too long to cross the zebra crossing, and the bicyclists who travel on the car road when there's a perfectly good bicycle path right next to it deserve the death penalty. Thank God I only drive a couple of times a year, otherwise I would've had a rage-induced heart attack a long time ago.

Roundabouts are the work of Satan.

Roundabouts are fantastic. The hard stop of a stop sign is often unnecessary.

Also nothing worse when there's 3-4 cars at a stop sign but the driver who clearly got their first either did not realize that fact or did but is being "polite" and trying to wave on some other driver leading to mass confusion.

Recklessness is the cardinal sin of driving and yet recently I've been finding that 9 outta the 10 things that annoy me are example of extreme passivity.

When I'm in a roundabout, it's not passivity that I'm feeling. It's more a sense that I'm about to go out of control and careen into a fucker.

ETA: Hence, the post about Satan. I could say "The devil made me do it, officer!"

In Sweden that sort of beaviour would have me flash my full beams or even use my horn, but according to my SO that is not the Done Thing in the UK, so I'd just facepalm and hope for Divine Intervention or something.

Are you sure he's not Canadian? The Canadian Way is to glare at them (only in your head of course) and hope they feel the searing heat of their social faux-pas.

Honking a horn would be ... rude.

Roundabouts are fantastic. The hard stop of a stop sign is often unnecessary.

Also nothing worse when there's 3-4 cars at a stop sign but the driver who clearly got their first either did not realize that fact or did but is being "polite" and trying to wave on some other driver leading to mass confusion.

Recklessness is the cardinal sin of driving and yet recently I've been finding that 9 outta the 10 things that annoy me are example of extreme passivity.

The Rolling Stop is our saviour from traffic.

Also, yes, Roundabouts are awesome. People are weirdly scared of them.

Archived