Watch, Watched, Watching: Winter Edition

RedEyedGhost

I watched Whitechapel series 1 the other day. It was fun. I'll watch series 2 soon.

I'm watching World Without End on netflix streaming; it's fucking hilarious. Just like its predecessor The Pillars of the Earth the characters are ridiculous cardboard cutouts, particularly the villains - there's absolutely no gray in this world. The production values are good, but the show is just not. It's one of those shows that's so bad that you can't stop watching. I've laughed more at this shit than I do at most comedies.

Season 2 Volume 2 is finally available on dvd... but the price is a bit absurd.

That's the truth. The DVD I have, I borrowed from my nephew. :smug:

I forgot to mention that I watched The Place Beyond the Pines. I enjoyed it quite a bit. ...and I really didn't get why everyone was raving about Eva Mendez's performance - it was fine, but I didn't find it to be anything special.
Yep, I said exactly the same thing after I saw it. Her performance was ok, but nothing special. People were RAVING about what she did with the character. Hmmmmmmm. The film certainly felt long in the cinema. I wanted it to be over way before it was. And Bradley whatsit, he should probably stick to TV acting.

Watched the new Ricky Gervais show for Netflix

Done in same style as the Office and Extras, only less funny.

Carl pinkinton(sp?) is in it, they work at a retirement home

I just watched all episodes of it. I think for some it will probably be overly sentimental almost saccharine and not enough funny, but I really got my heartstrings tugged with this show and really liked it. And I think Carl Pinkerton's Dougie is a great character. Can't stand Kev though.

Yep, I said exactly the same thing after I saw it. Her performance was ok, but nothing special. People were RAVING about what she did with the character. Hmmmmmmm. The film certainly felt long in the cinema. I wanted it to be over way before it was. And Bradley whatsit, he should probably stick to TV acting.

Bradley Cooper was laughable as a uniform-cop, buuuuuutttttt I think that actually worked for his role in the movie. The kids both did a good job too, although I really didn't buy Gosling's kid's outrage over a random coincidence and his own dirtbag father.

I just watched all episodes of it. I think for some it will probably be overly sentimental almost saccharine and not enough funny, but I really got my heartstrings tugged with this show and really liked it. And I think Carl Pinkerton's Dougie is a great character. Can't stand Kev though.

I watched some of this when it originally aired and couldn't even make it through the first episode - I thought I had, but when I searched and found my post about it:

More awkward than funny, but the
was kind of funny.

Speaking of Ricky Gervais I tried watching the first episode of Derek, and it was beyond awful - especially Karl Pilkington playing Karl Pilkington with a wig. I think I made it 2/3 through before I shut it down.

Bradley Cooper was laughable as a uniform-cop, buuuuuutttttt I think that actually worked for his role in the movie. The kids both did a good job too, although I really didn't buy Gosling's kid's outrage over a random coincidence and his own dirtbag father.
Yes, I thought that both the kids were really good.

Last week I went to see Upstream Color. I see lots of people bitching that it's not like Primer. I think you're supposed to understand it instinctively rather than logically. It does quite interesting things with sound and colour that made it worth seeing at the cinema. I'm sure there are parts of it that I will never understand but I'm content that I get the general gist of it.

In the Ladies toilet in the cinema when I came out of the film an older lady asked me if I'd just seen Upstream Colour. I said yes and she said, WHAT ON EARTH WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?!

One little complaint I have is that in the film they conflate immature worms (larval stages) with insect larvae. Now, while this doesn't really change much about the message or theme of the film it IS factually incorrect science. Just pure laziness in not checking some basic biology. Tut tut.

Insects = egg -> larva -> pupa -> adult

Worms = egg -> larva -> adult

Worms don't pupate. :)

I watched a totally rubbish 'horror' film called Cry Wolf at the weekend, about a serial killer at a school. It was labelled as 'don't watch alone' and super scary and whatever. It was just really tame and flat and not actually good in any way. It was an alright (if not madly original) concept but it was just executed in such a way that you didn't care about anyone or anything in it. Not even Jon Bon Jovi, who plays a teacher.

To think that was rec'd to me as 'If you like Kill List you will like this'. If Kill List got a 10/10, this film would get a 1 or 2/10. Please don't anybody watch Cry Wolf ever.

I finally got around to watching Django Unchained, and while I'm not a big Tarantino fan I actually really enjoyed this one. The violence was absurd (oh but the blood was hilarious) and it was overly long but I felt the pacing justified the length. After so many reviews that led me to believe I would be disappointed my expectations were quite low, so I'm sure that had some effect on how much I enjoyed it.

Watched the premiere of Lucky 7 tonight. I really liked it. Last night I was switching back and forth between Hostages and The Blacklist, both boring me I didn't want to finish either. Lucky 7 kept me entertained throughout, a diverse group of characters all with different problems and dilemmas in their lives and then sharing in having won the lottery, I like the concept and from the pilot at least the cast is making it work. I think this is going to be one of the better new shows of the fall.

Watching Me, you and everyone we know. It's getting a bit weird.

ETA: Finished the movie and I'm not sure what I think of it. It was certainly different ( always a plus) but I can't decide if I liked it or not. I think I did, but I might want to watch it again at some point as I had to start/stop the movie several times. Totally smitten by Miranda July though.

Watched the premiere of Lucky 7 tonight. I really liked it. Last night I was switching back and forth between Hostages and The Blacklist, both boring me I didn't want to finish either. Lucky 7 kept me entertained throughout, a diverse group of characters all with different problems and dilemmas in their lives and then sharing in having won the lottery, I like the concept and from the pilot at least the cast is making it work. I think this is going to be one of the better new shows of the fall.

I liked it too, but apparently the ratings weren't good and it's already being talked about as a possible first cancellation of the season.

I finally found the time to watch Richard II (from The Hollow Crown), but unfortunately my power was cut off unexpectedly. So perhaps tonight.

I've watched the first hour and I've got to say I really liked it, although I am a wee bit disappointed they didn't add Henry IV"s skin disease. (I'm not even sure why I wanted to see it anyway.)

I saw Rush last night and thought it was the best movie I've seen so far this year. I was engaged from the opening scene and cared about both racers more than I expected. Highly highly recommended to everyone, regardless of whether you give a shit about Formula One, which I don't.

Archived