Watch, Watched, Watching: Winter Edition

RedEyedGhost

Shit. I watched a Michael Bay movie and I actually enjoyed it. Not just a movie produced by him, but also one directed by him. Dammit, I feel dirty. The movie was Pain & Gain. Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, and Anthony Mackie play body builders who end up kidnapping and torturing a millionaire because it's Wahlberg's character's way to be a "do-er" and succeed in life. The fact that it is based on true events is horribly disturbing, and at the same time successfully used as comic relief

when told to grill off two dead bodies' fingerprints The Rock sets the grill up in the front driveway with the arms sitting out in the open, because it got 'too smokey' inside, and they popped up a cation on the screen saying "Remember this is a true story."

I'm still loving Graceland on USA. It's too bad there's no episode this week, but I'm sure the final two episodes will be explosive. Immensely entertaining show.

Yeah what's with that?...the more I watch Loki the more i like him....I'm like two inches away from :leer: liking him...and when I first saw Thor there was nothing...zero...zilch...nada...

Aaaagghhhh! Me too! Although Hiddleston is too young for me. :blushing:

And Thor does absolutely nothing for me either.

I'm done with season one of boardwalk empire now. it was good, but not quite as brilliant as the top tier of television is though.

but it was damn well-produced and well acted. the sets are great and the 1920's feel is absolutely there. but, the show is very slow. there are episodes where the plot barely moves. and sometimes nucky feels like a version of tony soprano, just not as deep and interesting.

and i like buscemi as an actor, he is so great in movies where he plays the quirky side character. and he is one of the best things in reservoir dogs, armageddon etc. but, i don't want to be mean, but he doesn't feel like he is leading man material. i don't know if it's the character or buscemi, but nucky doesn't have much charisma. and he doesn't feel menacing, even when he is supposed to be. i really enjoy al capone, rothstein, darmody and richard harrow as characters though. the show has created a great gallery of interesting side characters. but i feel buscemi doesn't really feel like the leading man in the show.

but as other people have said, it feels very much like a straight up gangster show, maybe it doesn't really want to be anything else eihter.

i'm gonna go and rent season 2 on blu-ray tomorrow. the show is both damn exciting and thrilling at times. chalky white is great too. michael k williams owns the role, as he did with omar.

I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild and was extremely disappointed after all of the praise it's received. It just felt like Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy as Read by a Young, Poor, African American Girl.

I also watched Life of Pi, and it was amazing. Stunning imagery, captivating story. Lovely film.

so i've now seen two episodes of boardwalk empire's second season. and i feel like i need to change some things i wrote in my last post.

i think buscemi fits the role and he is certainly an actor who is skilled enough to carry the show. he works as the leading man and nucky is more of a behind-the-scenes schemer, which fits buscemi well. so i change my statement before and say that buscemi works as the leading man. hopefully nucky gets some more scenes where he shows other emotions too. it happened one time in season one, but it would be great to see him angry and nervous more.

Nucky is always so calm and collected, but it suits the character though.

I like the bleakness and dark ess of the show. And there are characters i root fir, like jimmy, chalky, harrow and nucky.

it feels interesting and a good thing that season 2 has the plot of the commodore trying to take down nucky. a good change from season 1, which felt more like nucky's rise to a gangster.

Looking forward to the rest of season 2, which so far has been better than season 1. a 9/10 show for me.

Each season of Boardwalk Empire gets better, imho. Though they all have a lull point for setting things up. Season one's was its entire first half. Season 2 was like every third episode. Season 3 is great with it's pace, it just has a 2 - 3 episode lull a little past midpoint.

I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild and was extremely disappointed after all of the praise it's received. It just felt like Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy as Read by a Young, Poor, African American Girl.

I also watched Life of Pi, and it was amazing. Stunning imagery, captivating story. Lovely film.

Weird, I had the opposite reaction to these films. I thought Life of Pi was pablum, and BofSW was gorgeous and genuinely emotional.

While I liked them both, I though Beasts of the Southern Wild was the superior film. The score, the story, the setting and the characters were wonderful. Wonderful being the best word I can use to describe the movie as a whole. I don't understand the Jack Handy reference, what didn't you like?

Each season of Boardwalk Empire gets better, imho. Though they all have a lull point for setting things up. Season one's was its entire first half. Season 2 was like every third episode. Season 3 is great with it's pace, it just has a 2 - 3 episode lull a little past midpoint.

Okay, good to hear someone's opinion. I don't want to look up the be-spoiler thread on the forum yet, even though i know some things coming up.

I agree that the pacing is a bit slow at times. Some episodes have very little plot movement. But many of the best dramas do have slow points, but bempire may be a bit too slow at times, i agree.

Just finished Mad Men season 6. While I would consider season 6 to be the weakest so far, Mad Men is still one of the best written shows on television. Don's story took some interesting turns this season but also threatened to become a bit too circular. This was also one of the best seasons yet when it came to the portrayal of Pete Campbell. And of course Jon Hamm's portrayal of Don Draper was brilliant as usual.

I don't understand the Jack Handy reference, what didn't you like?

She was spouting so many truisms at the start of the movie that really reminded me of Jack Handy, they were toned down halfway through but I couldn't get that thought out of my head for the rest of the movie.

Finally watched "Animal Kingdom" it's a crime movie based in Melbourne and it was probably the most intense movie experience I've had in a while. It's a perfect slow burner of a movie and I'm really glad I finally got around to watching it. The score was also spot on, which obviously helped in setting the tone of the film.

Finally watched "Animal Kingdom" it's a crime movie based in Melbourne and it was probably the most intense movie experience I've had in a while. It's a perfect slow burner of a movie and I'm really glad I finally got around to watching it. The score was also spot on, which obviously helped in setting the tone of the film.

One of my favorite movies ever. The score is brilliant, Ben Mendelsohn as Pope was amazing. I see big things for writer/director David Michod.

I watched Whitechapel series 1 the other day. It was fun. I'll watch series 2 soon.

I'm watching World Without End on netflix streaming; it's fucking hilarious. Just like its predecessor The Pillars of the Earth the characters are ridiculous cardboard cutouts, particularly the villains - there's absolutely no gray in this world. The production values are good, but the show is just not. It's one of those shows that's so bad that you can't stop watching. I've laughed more at this shit than I do at most comedies.

Watching "Gargoyles" DVD, and still love it.

Season 2 Volume 2 is finally available on dvd... but the price is a bit absurd.

I forgot to mention that I watched The Place Beyond the Pines. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I was surprised that

Ryan Gosling's character died so early.

and I really didn't get why everyone was raving about Eva Mendez's performance - it was fine, but I didn't find it to be anything special. For some reason it really reminded me of Copland, not necessarily in plot, but in the feel of it.

Archived