Getting drinks w/someone?

Mormont'sRaven

Remember, it's just drinks. There's no promise of future interaction on either end, so you don't have to freak out. If this is your first meeting with the person, it's probably not a great idea to get hammered, and having a plan for how to get home is an awesome idea.

Just try to relax enough to enjoy yourself, and think of a couple of topics to talk about. Don't let this turn into employer 2.0.

Remember, it's just drinks. There's no promise of future interaction on either end, so you don't have to freak out. If this is your first meeting with the person, it's probably not a great idea to get hammered, and having a plan for how to get home is an awesome idea.

Just try to relax enough to enjoy yourself, and think of a couple of topics to talk about. Don't let this turn into employer 2.0.

why did you have to remind me *massive, massive sigh*

Yeah sorry, is this a "first date/get to know you" situation? Or like, coworkers hanging out shooting the shot situation?

Either way, IHeartTesla is correct (and I failed to mention) TIP YOUR BARTENDER.

Also, are you just not a bar person, or a drinker in general?

I guess more of a networking type thing where someone I knew asked me to get drinks. Whatever that means.

I'm really not either.

And the invitation/asking me was via email so I haven't answered yet.

Don't take your pants off in the bar.

Depends what kind of bar it is :leer:

Don't overthink it, OP. You're capable of drinking responsibly, you're capable of talking to people, you can do both contiguously (but not simultaneously, which could get messy). The more you stress about it, the harder it's going to be for you, so don't make it a big deal.

it's not an interview.

I'm actually going to disagree with this part. No, it's probably not a formal interview, but especially if it's a professional contact, treat it as a professional meeting. This is your first impression, so don't be uptight, but don't assume this is you out with your best friends, either.

Good advice so far. Some bars also offer appetizers or other fare (food helps slowdown the digestion of alcohol). I have gone out with coworkers . My first time going out there were a few people in a party who really wanted to see me get smashed (not really malicious, as they were female and wanted to see what I would be like without all my reservations). If your casual acquaintances it is unlikely they are trying to get you drunk. Perhaps they want to get a gauge of the type of person you are so they choose a comfortable setting. I am not big fan of bars myself, but if I hang out with people at work it usually is at bars. Some bars can be loud, more so at night , and many have live music, but it is possible to have a conversation (just be prepared for a little yelling). Try it out, if it is uncomfortable you can take the initiative next time to suggest alternatives places (like somewhere for lunch) for networking. I hope you enjoy yourself

I'm actually going to disagree with this part. No, it's probably not a formal interview, but especially if it's a professional contact, treat it as a professional meeting. This is your first impression, so don't be uptight, but don't assume this is you out with your best friends, either.

Oh, I understand it's a professional contact and to definitely not drink too much, but perhaps it wouldn't be best to treat it super formal either, which might seem too obvious. I dunno, I don't know about these things, lol :P

Archived