Getting drinks w/someone?

Mormont'sRaven

I abstain from drinking more often than not and have almost never been charged for non alcoholic beverages. And I've always felt perfectly safe.

When I was 10-13 years old, we lived in a blue-collar neighborhood with a local bar. It was one of the two safest places to go in our neighborhood after school if someone was bothering you. The other place was the little store 2.5 blocks further away. In those days, a kid could walk into a bar and play pinball, skeetball, or just listen to the jukebox. The bartender was the eldest son of the police officer that lived two doors down from me. The regulars were men that lived in the neighborhood...and if you were a kid in their neighborhood, you were protected. I think neighborhood bars are a hub of a community and the Southeastern US is poorer for not having them.

OK ICYMI: We're going to a craft beer bar tomorrow night.

Now, I'm not sure what I should wear.

She's coming straight from work so she's probably gonna be dressed up nice-ish (the bar doesn't have a dress code, my friends informed me), so I guess I should be dressed up too? I'd wear just a polo w/nice but I'm "fat skinny" and such things aren't flattering for my physique :frown5:

But I'd be concerned that wearing a black T-shirt w/casual blazer and jeans would be a little over dressed. Hmm.

The blazer is overkill -- I'd avoid it. A polo with jeans or trousers is just fine. Alternatively, wear a nice t-shirt and trousers. It's going to be hot tomorrow, and the vibe at that bar is such that anything above business casual is going to stick out and you'll end up feeling self-conscious.

Oh yeah, and wear proper shoes. Most of the time, sneakers are OK. But for this, you'll want something slightly nicer. Again, don't go overboard and bust out the job-interview shoes, as that's also overkill.

In agreement with Xray. When I think "business casual" for men, I think a nice collared shirt (ie. a golf shirt) and reasonably comfortable pants - khakis, with reasonable shoes (but not the spit shine interview shoes).

I don't know the bar, but I'm guessing a nice button dress shirt with jeans would also be appropriate.

I don't know that the blazer would be overkill with a t-shirt ala NCW; depends on the weather where you are. But echoing Xray and SSW, no sneakers or interview shoes...here in the Southeast, it would be a pair of loafers, khakis and a polo/golf shirt. Nice jeans with nice (but not dressy) shoes and a polo should also work.

I am sure nobody will invite you out and then bring you to a place you are likely to get beaten.

Clearly you have never been out with the London BWB. :P

These two quotes increased the odds of me coming to London next year for Con by about 5%.

But what is the weather like MR? If it is too hot, you will look strange. If its starting to get chilly in the evening, then wear it and casually toss it over the chair while its still warm.

And this thread makes me grateful that I am in my 40's, not my 20's :D

But what is the weather like MR? If it is too hot, you will look strange. If its starting to get chilly in the evening, then wear it and casually toss it over the chair while its still warm.

And this thread makes me grateful that I am in my 40's, not my 20's :D

Well it's hot during the day but at night it can get chilly. The issue is, if I wear a t-shirt underneath and I end up taking the blazer off, I'll just be wearing a t-shirt. Hmm.

Thank you all so much. Idk what I'd do w/o this forum seriously.

Well it's hot during the day but at night it can get chilly. The issue is, if I wear a t-shirt underneath and I end up taking the blazer off, I'll just be wearing a t-shirt. Hmm.

Thank you all so much. Idk what I'd do w/o this forum seriously.

Go for a polo or a decent button-down shirt. Something with a collar, if you're concerned about looking (british style) smart-ish.

I mean I kind of would like to wear a blazer because the pockets on my nice jeans are SOO tiny.

Hmm. But then again I don't want to be overdressed too. Dang.

Dude, you are over thinking this. Just wear something your comfortable in and try not to worry so much about how you're coming across. You've got a lot of good tips from everyone on here, and you should be just fine. Oh, and remember to try and have fun.

Since we already have this thread I thought I'd use it. Anyone want to get some drinks in approximately 2 years? We can plan it out thoroughly here if anyone is game.

*doing the math* Is that London Con? 'Cause if so, I'm down. I'll get first two rounds, but only if you show up with a dropbear.

Since we already have this thread I thought I'd use it. Anyone want to get some drinks in approximately 2 years? We can plan it out thoroughly here if anyone is game.

Dude I LOL'd at this.

Yeah I know it's a lot of effort for something seemingly trivial but I'm not very social and I don't really have a social circle to ask questions like this to so forums are really all I have, as pathetic as that sounds haha.

Thanks again, everyone!

Dude, you are over thinking this. Just wear something your comfortable in and try not to worry so much about how you're coming across. You've got a lot of good tips from everyone on here, and you should be just fine. Oh, and remember to try and have fun.

I agree. Being yourself is getting lost here. :) What would you feel comfortable in?

And no, you are not pathetic. Better to panic here where you have bouncing board than to panic all alone in your closet on the night of! :D

Archived