Getting drinks w/someone?

Mormont'sRaven

When in doubt...

But seriously. A bar is generally a pretty neutral, low pressure environment. Just sit, chat, enjoy a drink or two (or not, a seltzer and lime or other soft drink is totally acceptable). Have some nachos.

If you decide to accept the email invitation, maybe mention you're not a real bar or pub person, but would be open to a quiet, laid back kind of place...

You can, but the other person might feel a bit weird about it and wonder why you said yes to going out for drinks when you didn't actually want a drink. If you're that uncomfortable with it, suggest something else. Go for lunch, get a coffee.

This! Last time I sang I butchered "My Way".

Last time I went out, I sand ''Wild Thing'' and ''These Boots Are Made For Walking'' lol, they're my staple karaoke songs. Plus they're not difficult songs so I can give off the illusion of actually being a good singer in comparison to the braver people who go for harder choices and drunkenly miss some of the notes, hahaha :cool4: :cool4:

If I don't drink can I just get a sprite or something?

Get a seltzer with lime. It's non-alcoholic, and you won't look like a sorry-ass teenager to a business contact.

You can, but the other person might feel a bit weird about it and wonder why you said yes to going out for drinks when you didn't actually want a drink. If you're that uncomfortable with it, suggest something else. Go for lunch, get a coffee.

Disagree with this. Coffee or lunch isn't always feasible or desired. When I couldn't drink for medical reasons, I still went out "for drinks," but I drank seltzer/lime. This might be different in other cities, but in NY, that's just the SOP.

What Every said. If you don't drink and you are really uncomfortable with the thought of going to a bar, why not email back saying that you'd love to go out, but you don't drink and suggest coffee instead. Is it a single person or a group of coworkers? If it's a group, I think that you'd be fine going and ordering a soda. Offer to be the designated driver so you have an ironclad excuse not to drink. (I was asked out for drinks with girlfriends once when I was pregnant but not telling aynone yet. I accepted and then quickly offered to drive everyone home, thus disguising the fact that I wasn't drinking.)

Last time I went out, I sand ''Wild Thing'' and ''These Boots Are Made For Walking'' lol, they're my staple karaoke songs. Plus they're not difficult songs so I can give off the illusion of actually being a good singer in comparison to the braver people who go for harder choices and drunkenly miss some of the notes, hahaha :cool4: :cool4:

Excellent choices. My go to song is "Godzilla" but I'm also known to mix in "Dust in Wind" or "The Morning After". I sang "My Way" so bad but there were awesome people in the bar who started singing along and I loosened up. I feel like I would've have done better if I had fourth drink.

I can not remember. Is it the person invited that brings the cocaine and hookers, or is it the person doing the inviting responsible for that?

We are talking about banking/investment/Wall Street job interviews right?

Excellent choices. My go to song is "Godzilla" but I'm also known to mix in "Dust in Wind" or "The Morning After". I sang "My Way" so bad but there were awesome people in the bar who started singing along and I loosened up. I feel like I would've have done better if I had fourth drink.

Go to the Asian Karoke bars, as you and your friend get your own room.

Much funner IMO as everyone usually participates.

Disagree with this. Coffee or lunch isn't always feasible or desired. When I couldn't drink for medical reasons, I still went out "for drinks," but I drank seltzer/lime. This might be different in other cities, but in NY, that's just the SOP.

Fair enough. I don't drink much myself, and I think it's fine to go out with a group and not drink, as Skunkbelly said, or to go out with a friend you already know and who knows that you won't be drinking. I just think I would find it a bit weird to ask someone out for drinks, and get there and then find out they don't drink - it would make me feel awkward, which isn't something you want to do to a new contact.

I gotta go with X Ray. The bar atmosphere, even if you are not drinking, seems more conducive to a relaxed social/professional encounter. By deliberately excluding a bar or the like, you can be unwittingly giving the other party ideas. I'm assuming from your other posts, you don't have an objection to bars or alcohol in general, say due to either some moral or personal concern, it's just not your natural scene. Either way, just be up front an honest. Maybe order one beer, then move on to seltzer and lime (seriously, pretty delicious). If the other person asks, just shrug it off, and say your not much of a drinker. Maybe even get the chance to drive the other drunk ass home and come away with a new friend slash favor in your pocket...

Current co-worker/ professional contact, discussing a current project or assignment = coffee during the work day, on the clock

New network contact, discussing areas of overlap or mutual benefit, or "hey this idea will make us both look like geniuses and make us an assload of money" = after hours, at the bar, even without alcohol (assuming the "genius" idea was conceived outside the bar...)

son of a bitch i am glad i work in the industry i work in.

when invited out in my industry you are expected to match the host or hostess drink for drink and shot for shot.

years ago i was looking at taking a sous chef job at a brewpub. part of my interview process was to taste all of the beers. as one of the people interviewing me was the brewmaster i was worried it would be disrespectful to not drink that which i was poured. i managed to leave the interview only reasonably tipsy and was offered the job.

I used to go out for drinks with co-workers all the time, bosses included. For better or worse its a good way to get to know people. I may have overstepped my bounds one time when I told an old boss of mine that his recent firing of someone was 'fucked up' after we'd gone beer for beer for quite sometime, but I didn't get in trouble for it. It was a one on one conversation, it wasn't like I called him out or anything. The guy he fired threw a chair at another coworker. My stance was that the guy who had the chair thrown at him was a prick (he was) and that he deserved to have a chair thrown at him. :laugh: The only thing that upset me about it was that he missed.

Also in a lot of jobs in my field going out for drinks with potential coworkers before or after an interview is pretty common. Mainly because a lot of jobs entail spending time in a remote location in the middle of nowhere or stuck on a boat or something. So you aren't just working with people you are also living with them at times. In which case it sometimes pays to get a few drinks into that person, or at least get them out of professional mode to see what they are all about.

Archived