Getting drinks w/someone?

Mormont'sRaven

I abstain from drinking more often than not and have almost never been charged for non alcoholic beverages. And I've always felt perfectly safe.

You what? What? They give you free non-alcoholic drinks at bars where you come from? Damn, I need to move (again). They absolutely charge you here, and my friend was telling me that in some places in Germany they even make you buy bottled water instead of giving you free tap water.

You what? What? They give you free non-alcoholic drinks at bars where you come from? Damn, I need to move (again). They absolutely charge you here, and my friend was telling me that in some places in Germany they even make you buy bottled water instead of giving you free tap water.

I've never been to Germany, but not-drinking there seems like it would be against the law or something.

So how long does getting drinks with someone usually last? Like do we get 1-3 drinks then go our separate ways?

Just play it by ear man. I've gone out and had one, then went home. I've also gone out had quite a few and went to someone else's home. If you dig this chick, hope for the second. Just try not to over think this too much, enjoy yourself, and see what happens.

From reading X-Ray's sound advice, I'm pretty scared about ever going out for drinks in the US. It sounds so complicated! :laugh: In the UK, we'd just go to a pub, pay by cash (most places only take card when you spend over a certain amount, usually £10), and order what you like. Tips aren't given - my local doesn't have a tip jar, and I can't recall being in a pub that does. A coke is fine if you're not a drinker, I drink it regularly as I usually drive, and I rarely drink anyway. Not drinking shouldn't be an issue - if anything, I'd view it as a good thing. The only problem with drinking would be drinking too much, and making a tit out of yourself. So don't do that :P

I'm guessing this meeting is tonight? I'll chime in with the have fun and relax comments, and good luck! Hope it all goes well :)

definitely have fun, relax & just go with the flow.

From reading X-Ray's sound advice, I'm pretty scared about ever going out for drinks in the US. It sounds so complicated! :laugh:

eh, don't be scared! Its a big country and lots of different ways to do things here. I live in the same city as X and we must run in very different circles. I have to go out for drinks professionally on occasion, and folks get whatever they want... its very common with the people I work with to get cokes and crazy fruity drinks (I work with a big artsy, freelance, poetic crowd... they also have no problem getting bombed either! lol)

Definitely gotta tip here though. Even if you order a glass of water, leave a very good tip for your bartender... you're taking up space at the bar, and you're paying the bartender's wages, so be nice about it!

I learnt a lot from the tipping thread, and now totally understand why you tip, but it's still so alien here! Plus the bartender at my local is a friend and.. ex-hook-up? :laugh: so tipping him would be weird!

I would have to learn the protocol properly if I were ever to visit!

I mean I kind of would like to wear a blazer because the pockets on my nice jeans are SOO tiny.

Hmm. But then again I don't want to be overdressed too. Dang.

In my humble opinion, jeans with a t-shirt and a blazer is pretty damn casual. I don't think it would be overkill unless you are going to a truly grimy dive bar.

I learnt a lot from the tipping thread, and now totally understand why you tip, but it's still so alien here! Plus the bartender at my local is a friend and.. ex-hook-up? :laugh: so tipping him would be weird!

I would have to learn the protocol properly if I were ever to visit!

I met my husband when he was still bartending a few nights a month. he is an awesome bartender... I tipped him well and he was very nice to me! lol :) When you come to the states, fly into NYC and we'll take you out for drinks and you can practice tipping in the company of friends before you have to go do it alone!

Since we already have this thread I thought I'd use it. Anyone want to get some drinks in approximately 2 years? We can plan it out thoroughly here if anyone is game.

Get the proper permitting in place first and then we can have a preliminary conversation on whether this is a possibility that we will potentially explore further.

I assume you'll do the 1:37 scale model this time of precisely what will go down and when?

So if I only plan on getting like 1-2 drinks should I even bother opening a tab?

Opening a tab simply means that you will pay the whole bill when you leave the bar, instead of paying after you receive each drink. Which option is the most convenient is completely up to you.

Get the proper permitting in place first and then we can have a preliminary conversation on whether this is a possibility that we will potentially explore further.

I assume you'll do the 1:37 scale model this time of precisely what will go down and when?

I've got a great idea - a diorama! http://www.tl-rh.com/01/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/steve-carell-diorama-dinner-for-schmucks.jpg

Is it just me, or is everyone else getting nervous now? I kinda feel like I should be there with a tiny microphone so I can whisper instructions.

:bites nails:

Opening a tab simply means that you will pay the whole bill when you leave the bar, instead of paying after you receive each drink. Which option is the most convenient is completely up to you.

Indeed. Unless the only option is to pay as you go (one of my favorite bars is cash-only), I prefer running a tab. Purely convenience.

Is it just me, or is everyone else getting nervous now? I kinda feel like I should be there with a tiny microphone so I can whisper instructions.

:bites nails:

Is it to much to ask for some real time updates on the night in question?

And I just realized I'm way to invested in this. :)

Archived