Getting drinks w/someone?

Mormont'sRaven

That's great that you've been invited for drinks. Go, have a good time, but be aware this is basically a prospective employer checking you out, right?

Also, I don't drink. I've been entertaining/entertained/dining out/doing the cocktail scene at business functions for 23+ years, stone cold sober. It's no big deal. Lots of people don't drink. No one is going to think anything about you having a pellegrino or a coffee. It's not a big thing. Xray is totally spot on about this.

You've obviously got something going on or they would have asked someone else. :)

I knock back diet tonic on the rocks with extra lime like there's no tomorrow. :pirate:

He said it was "networking," IIRC, not a specific job interview. It's kinda hard to know what the heck the vibe is going to be since we really know so little. If we could just ask the industry...

If I don't drink can I just get a sprite or something?

No, you must drink tequila shots every 7 minutes. :huh:

Of course you can have what ever you want to drink.

Srsly at this point I'm wondering if you're an alt or a troll but you're definitely funning us...

N

The documentary Raiders of the Lost Ark has probably the most incisive

at what it means to grab a drink with someone in a modern professional environment. What I found useful before going out into the working world was to take a copious amount of notes on the specific nuances and mannerisms of the two drinkers depicted here and strived to emulate them. One thing you'll want to make special note of is the embarrassing faux pas that occurs at the end of the clip. I think it's safe to say the firm passed on that young associate's promotion.

If I don't drink can I just get a sprite or something?

Absolutely. And if the other person views you oddly, tough noogies. Otherwise, the alternative is that you are compelled to drink alcohol each and every time you go to such an event, even if you don't enjoy it. That's madness as far as I'm concerned.

Also, while not drinking is perfectly okay, appearing judgmental of those who do isn't. What you drink is your business, and what they drink is theirs.

Get there and order 6 shots of tequila, shoot them one after the other and prove what a man you are...they'll be so impressed.

sounds like a waste of tequila. sip and savor. please dont shoot

While I hate to disagree with Jamie, I cannot endorse the fine independent doc Raiders as a go to source here, as it is set in an earlier era, where drinking was a bit more socially acceptable. I would recommend Leaving Las Vegas as a guide to socially acceptable drinking. In all seriousness though, go enjoy yourself. You may find in your professional life that a lot of business does get done in barrooms.

Absolutely. And if the other person views you oddly, tough noogies.

Also, while not drinking is perfectly okay, appearing judgmental of those who do isn't. What you drink is your business, and what they drink is theirs.

Exactly. Nobody should be judged for their drinker/non-drinker status. So, being a non-drinker isn't a deal-killer, unless you're trying to make deals with douchebags.

MR: lots of networking gets done in bars. If one is in a field where networking matters (I am, for example), in NY, then one has to get comfortable with hanging out in bars even if one doesn't drink (and I couldn't, for a few years).

In General:

As someone who knows her way around a bar, though, I do watch to see what people drink and how they order.

Trying to impress a possible work contact? Don't order Sprite or Pepsi or any of that. Or, for that matter, some fruity "martini" drink or something with questionable nomenclature. Order a seltzer with lime (non-alcoholic), or a gin and tonic or something else relatively solid (whiskey/soda; craft beer).

If it's someone you already know, but is still in "the work zone," feel free to get a Manhattan -- but only one. After that, switch to something that isn't 100% booze or move to beer.

If it's a friend (and especially if it's Stego), go right ahead and get something that is blue and comes with a cocktail umbrella.

After the first round of drinks, it is a time-honored custom for the invited party to go to a quiet corner of the bar, call the bar's phone number from your cell phone, let the bartender answer, and then ask to speak to "Heywood Jablomey." Afterwards, go up to the barkeep, inform him that you are, indeed, Heywood Jablomey, and start giggling uncontrollably. This is a sure-fire way to get on the bartender's good side and earn free drinks for the rest of the night. This is 100% not a lie. It's a well-known code-word among bartenders all over the country to get free drinks. You're welcome for that awesome tip.

After the first round of drinks, it is a time-honored custom for the invited party to go to a quiet corner of the bar, call the bar's phone number from your cell phone, let the bartender answer, and then ask to speak to "Heywood Jablomey." Afterwards, go up to the barkeep, inform him that you are, indeed, Heywood Jablomey, and start giggling uncontrollably. This is a sure-fire way to get on the bartender's good side and earn free drinks for the rest of the night. This is 100% not a lie. It's a well-known code-word among bartenders all over the country to get free drinks. You're welcome for that awesome tip.

This made me snort out loud. I've also said "Heywood Jablomey" aloud several times, really fast, just because it cracks me up.

I

The guy he fired threw a chair at another coworker. My stance was that the guy who had the chair thrown at him was a prick (he was) and that he deserved to have a chair thrown at him. :laugh: The only thing that upset me about it was that he missed.

Stapler 2.0.

• 2 weeks later...

If you both live on Long Island, let them suggest the bar? If you don't both live on Long Island, why are you trying to go to a bar on Long Island?

/rimshot

OK so officially we're setting things up. Now the issue is I don't really know the bar scene because I haven't ever gone out drinking. Is there anyone who lives on Long Island who would be willing to help me out that I can DM?

Edited because on re-read I sound like a douche - completely unintentional.

In General:

As someone who knows her way around a bar, though, I do watch to see what people drink and how they order.

Trying to impress a possible work contact? Don't order Sprite or Pepsi or any of that. Or, for that matter, some fruity "martini" drink or something with questionable nomenclature. Order a seltzer with lime (non-alcoholic), or a gin and tonic or something else relatively solid (whiskey/soda; craft beer).

If it's someone you already know, but is still in "the work zone," feel free to get a Manhattan -- but only one. After that, switch to something that isn't 100% booze or move to beer.

If it's a friend (and especially if it's Stego), go right ahead and get something that is blue and comes with a cocktail umbrella.

You have devastated me. I'm often a cranberry soda kinda gal, but one of the fun things I like to do when I'm feeling sassy is to ask the server for a "cheesy girly drink" recommendation and then order it. It's often a giggle, breaks the ice, and then we can talk business much more relaxed (with interspersed comments critiquing said ridiculous concoction). With those few sentences, you have turned my whole world upside down. :bawl:

OP, never mind. Clearly I need a thread about what to order, so you keep doing what you're doing.

OK so officially we're setting things up. Now the issue is I don't really know the bar scene because I haven't ever gone out drinking. Is there anyone who lives on Long Island who would be willing to help me out that I can DM?

Where on Long Island?

You have devastated me. I'm often a cranberry soda kinda gal, but one of the fun things I like to do when I'm feeling sassy is to ask the server for a "cheesy girly drink" recommendation and then order it. It's often a giggle, breaks the ice, and then we can talk business much more relaxed (with interspersed comments critiquing said ridiculous concoction). With those few sentences, you have turned my whole world upside down. :bawl:

It probably depends on what you do for a living. In the broadest sense, my job is "professional asshole," or even "professional pedantic asshole," and that's going to affect any business interactions with other professional pedantic assholes. That said, if it were a specific instance where ordering obnoxious drinks was on the docket, I'd go with the flow. It's all about reading a situation. My guidelines are especially for people who are crap at negotiating an unfamiliar social interaction (same sort of advice as "wear a business suit to a job interview unless you know for sure that it will make you look foolish").

If you truly need this much hand-holding from strangers on the internet I have tremendous compassion for you, but even you must admit this is getting to the point beyond believability. :bang:

I don't think he's trolling, if only because of consistency.

However, Mormont, I do think you may want to look into resources for anxiety/depression. I've have some free one's in my sig, though if you have the means I'd suggest counseling.

Maybe I've too many New Yorker friends, but lot's [lots] of people I know sought out therapy if only for a short period of time. Can be incredibly beneficial.

It's just drinks! How I would handle the situation? Mention to the other person exactly what you said here. "I'd be glad to go, but I've never even been to a bar before, so you pick the place." Go from there. Why be all nervous and anxious about it like it could possibly be the end of the world? Usually when I'm nervous or anxioius about a new situation, I tell the people I'm with exactly how I'm feeling. Breaks the ice and helps me relax, because I'm not trying to pretend I'm something I'm not (in this case, someone familiar with the bar scene, yes?)

Relax, be yourself. Stop worrying about what might happen or what others might think. If you can't do that, follow Sci's advice.

Archived