Small Questions v 10011

Stubby

Why were Lommy, Hot Pie and Gendry joining the nights watch?

Lommy was caught stealing (it's not totally clear whether that's how he lost his apprenticeship and now this is the only career left for him or whether he's forced to join because he'd sit in the dungeons otherwise). Gendry was told by his master he had to go. Hot Pie is implied to have joined for the food and board (he's an orphan like Lommy, the "Hot Pie!" selling was before his mother died).

Lommy was caught stealing (it's not totally clear whether that's how he lost his apprenticeship and now this is the only career left for him or whether he's forced to join because he'd sit in the dungeons otherwise). Gendry was told by his master he had to go. Hot Pie is implied to have joined for the food and board (he's an orphan like Lommy, the "Hot Pie!" selling was before his mother died).

I think it's at least implied that Varys was behind Gendry joining up, to prevent him from being included in the slaughter of Robert's bastards.

I believe the Ned was behind Gendry's impressment into the NW. I suspect it was part of the deal he cut with Cersei through Varys although Cersei. Remember Ned promised Robert he'd watch out for them as if they were his own. He had to assume Barra was not threatened. Mya was in the Eyrie. Edric was at Storm's End. But Gendry would not be safe and Ned could finish raising him at the Wall.

Do you mean as opposed to some supernatural bio warfare?

I asked because I read somewhere that Targaryens don't get sick. Yet many of them died during the Great Spring Sickness. After asking the question I realized that may not have been a good information source. However; yes I meant as opposed to some sort bio warfare. Or an imported disease like smallpox.

Was the "Great spring sickness" a natural illness?

It was a plague that hit all over Westeros except for Dorne, mainly because they had closed their borders. King's Landing was hit particularly hard, killing four out of every ten people, including several notables, which I won't name so as to not spoil anything. Bloodraven, under King Aerys, had the bodies burned in the Dragonpit. Also according to Septon Sefton, it killed every rat in King's Landing.

@Lost Melnibonean- that certainly seems correct, but why doesn't Ned every mention it in any of his POVs? Was it not deemed an important enough detail? Or was GRRM trying to save the revelation of Gendry's identity for another day?

Ned's last POVwas his meeting with Varys when the Spider told him Cersei would trade Sansa's life for Ned's capitulation.

I believe the Ned was behind Gendry's impressment into the NW. I suspect it was part of the deal he cut with Cersei through Varys although Cersei. Remember Ned promised Robert he'd watch out for them as if they were his own. He had to assume Barra was not threatened. Mya was in the Eyrie. Edric was at Storm's End. But Gendry would not be safe and Ned could finish raising him at the Wall.

Why would the Queen make such a deal and then send Goldcloaks after him a day or so later? I think it was Varys, the same guy who paid his apprentice fee and professes to care for children above all else.

I asked because I read somewhere that Targaryens don't get sick. Yet many of them died during the Great Spring Sickness. After asking the question I realized that may not have been a good information source. However; yes I meant as opposed to some sort bio warfare. Or an imported disease like smallpox.

Targs not getting sick is nonsense. At some point you have to separate what you're told from what you know to be true.

Why would the Queen make such a deal and then send Goldcloaks after him a day or so later? I think it was Varys, the same guy who paid his apprentice fee and professes to care for children above all else.

Cersei might not have been privy to that condition. Ned may have struck that aspect of the bargain with Vaeys. Or once Joff broke the deal Cersei was free to go after Gendry.

What is the one thing that Dany fears?

"Is that meant to frighten me? I lived in fear for fourteen years, my lord. I woke afraid each morning and I went to sleep afraid each night ... but my fears were burned away the day I came forth from the fire. Only one thing frightens me now."

"And what is it that you fear, sweet queen?"

"I am only a foolish young girl." Dany rose on her toes and kissed his cheek. "But not so foolish as to tell you that."

Were there any physical differences between the First Men and the Andals, like there are between Men and CotF? Or were they just two waves of human immigrants? Is this mentioned anywhere in any of the books?

I think the Andals were Fair. They looked more like the Lannisters. The first men were darker. They looked more like the Starks. But essentially two waves of human immigrants. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Andals

Were there any physical differences between the First Men and the Andals, like there are between Men and CotF? Or were they just two waves of human immigrants? Is this mentioned anywhere in any of the books?

Isn't really mentioned in the books the Rhoynar seem to the only ones with heavy physical differences.

Archived