Are Terry Goodkind books of the So Bad its Good type?

Ser Rodrigo Belmonte

Gabriele - Nah, it's a bit off topic me saying so, but Theon has no penis. George Martin wrote the episode where that happens, to put an end to a load of speculation on a subject that should never have taken place to begin with. In the books, he may even be missing his testicles, but he just gets his penectomy behind the scenes. The question is: was it flayed first? I say no. Flaying is for punishment. Ramsay just does this to Theon to unman him and thus subjugate and humiliate him more.

Off-topic, somewhat, but there it goes. Theon has no penis, in either the books or show.

"Its pointed, barbed, erect phallus stood out, plainly silhouetted against the candles beyond''

Signature line if I ever saw one.

I never read Tairy, not a word. Jebus, I could barely make it through three books of Jordan. You people have either unholy stamina or read this stuff when you were too young to have shit detectors. When the Tairy threads started a few years ago, I would read them at work and laugh until I cried. Especially at the chicken and the goat. Jebus.

Someone needs to write an essay comparing Terry and Bakker.

It's hard to say, since he wanted it both ways; I'm betting he loved the money that the show generated for him, and at first he and Mystar were all over the place talking the show up, while at the same time trying to gently lower expectations. But once it became clear that the show wasn't doing great, and more that the book fans near universally hated it, Terry released a statement on his website about how he was disappointed with the show and how the TV people ruined his creation.

looks like he did a good job of trying to have it both ways. Love the money then hate the show when it's getting cancelled.

They were chipmunks that were not chipmunks. They chittered chipmunkly, in a chipmunklike fashion, But there was something decidedly unchipmunklike about them. It was hard to put a reason on why exactly they were not chiipmunks, but they were not chipmunks nonetheless.

That encapsulates his writing surprisingly well based off the quotes I've seen on this thread. This and Mindonner's summary seems a safe amount of exposure to his work.

Gabriele - Nah, it's a bit off topic me saying so, but Theon has no penis. George Martin wrote the episode where that happens, to put an end to a load of speculation on a subject that should never have taken place to begin with. In the books, he may even be missing his testicles, but he just gets his penectomy behind the scenes. The question is: wwas it flayed first? I say no. Flaying is for punishment. Ramsay just does this to Theon to unman him and thus subjugate and humiliate him more.

Off-topic, somewhat, but there it goes. Theon has no penis, in either the books or show.

I suspect it was flayed first. That's Ramsay's modus operandi.

In the books, he may even be missing his testicles, but he just gets his penectomy behind the scenes. The question is: wwas it flayed first? I say no. Flaying is for punishment. Ramsay just does this to Theon to unman him and thus subjugate and humiliate him more.

Well, thank you for that mental image. Excuse me, I have to go find out if it's possible to get drunk enough to forget it.

I'm not hopeful. After all, two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers...and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls couldn't bleach away the memory of reading Goodkind.

Gabriele - Nah, it's a bit off topic me saying so, but Theon has no penis. George Martin wrote the episode where that happens, to put an end to a load of speculation on a subject that should never have taken place to begin with. In the books, he may even be missing his testicles, but he just gets his penectomy behind the scenes. The question is: wwas it flayed first? I say no. Flaying is for punishment. Ramsay just does this to Theon to unman him and thus subjugate and humiliate him more.

What I meant by spicing up things is the introduction of the hot girls. That's totally HBO. :)

Martin has said that not everything that gets 'solved' in the show is the way it will turn out in the books, but if he wrote the episode, then I agree that he wanted to put an end to Theon's junk speculations. Some people just don't get things; look at how many were surprised that Renly and Loras did more than praying in their tent at night. ;)

But we're doing it wrong anyway, speculating about missing penises instead of important human themes - and in a Goodkind thread to boot. :)

Regarding the original "is it so bad it's good" question, I actually kind of like the scene (I think in the second book) where Kahlan has all the soldiers strip naked and paint themselves white to attack the Imperial Order. It is gloriously ridiculous, and I love how she decides everyone who thinks this is a suicidally stupid idea must be a traitor. It is so typically Goodkind.

I always imagined this exchange:

Doomed Soldier: "I thought the idea was to sneak up on them. Shouldn't we be using camouflage instead of something that will make us perfect targets?"

Kahlan: "No, we using terror against the superstitious soldiers. That's why we're disguising ourselves as ghosts to attack the best soldiers in the world. Trust me, this is the only plan that could possibly work."

Doomed Soldier: "Ookaay, but why are we naked? Couldn't we just paint our armor?"

Kahlan: "Armor! That's the kind of left-wing pinko commie crap that's going to lose us this war. You know, I'm starting to think you're on their side!"

Doomed Soldier: "What!? They just slaughtered our entire city! All the women were brutally raped! You should know, it was described two chapters ago in rather disturbing detail. We would never side with them! We are going to fight them with or without you, and frankly, the 'without you' option is starting to look pretty good."

Kahlan: "Die traitor!"

And it's the middle of winter, too. Between that and everyone going along with the "ban fire" thing, I believe that the population of Dickland is all equipped with internal nuclear reactors to keep them warm rather than using conventional biological methods.

Anyway, it's OK, because by authorial fiat everyone that Dick or Kahlan accuse of being a traitor, turns out to be an eeevil traitor anyway, so they don't have to sully their moral clarity by accidentally executing someone innocent.

Anyway, it's OK, because by authorial fiat everyone that Dick or Kahlan accuse of being a traitor, turns out to be an eeevil traitor anyway, so they don't have to sully their moral clarity by accidentally executing someone innocent.

And as we know this applies to children too, because Dick has deducted that they will become evul Order soldiers so no one should have any remorse about slaughtering them.

And intend is same as deed.

And it's the middle of winter, too. Between that and everyone going along with the "ban fire" thing, I believe that the population of Dickland is all equipped with internal nuclear reactors to keep them warm rather than using conventional biological methods.

Surely basking in the radiance of their glorious leader should provide substantial warmth?

Are there any cases where something good happens in the books and it's "bad" because of it in a "so good it's bad" way?

Surely basking in the radiance of their glorious leader should provide substantial warmth?

Are there any cases where something good happens in the books and it's "bad" because of it in a "so good it's bad" way?

You mean like Dick abandoning his troops to tend for his wife but that was good because they shouldve risen up and lived their lives anyway?

Or running Denna through with his white hot thing of thruth killing her, but that was ok because he loved her?

Or how meat is good?

Or how there is a referendum but democracy is for commies?

Or how Dick executed the enlosing der Order-frage by ridding the world of every single Order soldier, member and sympathizer?

Or having the Daharans worship Richard is good, but it was a sign of how evil Darken Rahl was?

Or how torture is evil when Darken Rahl or the Imperial Order does it, but when Lord Dick does it it's the most moral thing in the world. In fact, torturing a man to death just teaches him to value life. I have to say, that line would have been great...coming from a villain. It is chilling as all hell.

Every now and again I remember that Lemmings of Discord is not just a random title to which we Tairy-mockers affix our flag, but was actually a hilariously poor metaphor that was employed in an attempt to insult us. And then I laugh and laugh.

*Death-chooser and proud*

Every now and again I remember that Lemmings of Discord is not just a random title to which we Tairy-mockers affix our flag, but was actually a hilariously poor metaphor that was employed in an attempt to insult us. And then I laugh and laugh.

*Death-chooser and proud*

Well, metaphors have never been Tairy's strong suit. Exactly what his strong suit is remains a mystery.

Archived