Are Terry Goodkind books of the So Bad its Good type?

Ser Rodrigo Belmonte

"Its pointed, barbed, erect phallus stood out, plainly silhouetted against the candles beyond."

If that is a quote from Terry, then "philosophy" and winding up fans isn't the only thing he and Bakker have in common. All Terry needs is some "black as night, black bodily fluids" :)

:bowdown: THAT gem? That had to be weeks and weeks for sure.

Nah, Tairy does not edit. Every sentence emerges, perfectly polished and full formed, like Athena, from his genius cranium!

He actually said in that interview that it sometimes takes him hours to write one perfect :bawl: paragraph. Athena seems to need a chainsaw to get out of his brain at times.

He may just be slow at writing - the idea is fully formed

I wonder how long it took him to polish that one to perfection. :)

See The Killer Shark.

He may just be slow at writing - the idea is fully formed

Just think about this in relation to the nable cock and the ritual.......or the famous moon blood scene....

Is there any book that is 'so bad it's good', I've seen movies and tv shows like that. But reading a book that is very bad is just painful.

Personally I think the Naked Empire is his worst.

This one has the slaughter of unarmed hippies, the straw men, the killing of neighbours and loved ones, pointless rape, the antidote just by tasting and if I remember correctly; Betty.

Personally I think the Naked Empire is his worst.

This one has the slaughter of unarmed hippies, the straw men, the killing of neighbours and loved ones, pointless rape, the antidote just by tasting and if I remember correctly; Betty.

Yep. Although, I'm not sure if it had Betty.

I can't say for sure it was the worst, though. Because Naked Empire was the book that made me say, "Enough is enough!" with regard to Goodkind. I didn't read any more of the books after that one.

IIRC Pillars of Creation was the book with Betty. Also the second book in the series, after Soul of the Fire, to complete ignore Dick and K'lan to focus on yet more Rahl-siblings we and Dick didn't know about. Mind-numbingly dull, as I recall.

IIRC Pillars of Creation was the book with Betty. Also the second book in the series, after Soul of the Fire, to complete ignore Dick and K'lan to focus on yet more Rahl-siblings we and Dick didn't know about. Mind-numbingly dull, as I recall.

Only book I've read of him. Found it in the lobby of the hotel I was working at part time (night receptionist). So I read it. I had little to do.

It was truly terrible. And I couldn't tell you the first nor last thing about it outside that fact.

Tairy's books are too damn long to be "so bad it's good". I say this as an elite connoisseur of terrible barbarian fiction: shorter is better, cos the joke wears very thin very quickly.

I've read them all. Then I've also read all of mission earth by hubbard.

Ayn Rand and objectvism I had never heard of before i started lurking here, and scientology wasn't something that ever crossed my mind at all, ever.

I thought it was satire.

I should probably re-read both series now I know both authors are odd.

I read the first four books for one reason, and one reason only. Cara.

I liked the tv show (it reminded me of Xena), and while most of it was not particularly memorable I kept watching because there aren't that many fantasy tv shows (this was before GoT). Then the first season finale introduced Cara, and she became a main character in the second season. It was like she was designed to keep me watching the show. She was badass, sarcastic/snarky yet stoic, clever, cynical, gorgeous, bisexual, she had an excellent back story and an actual character arc. Not to mention the actress who played her was better than the ones playing Richard and Kahlan. The episodes that were about Cara were the best in the series. When the show was canceled, I was sad only because it meant I wouldn't get to see Cara kick ass and take names anymore.

So, desperate for more Cara, and despite all the warnings I was given about the series, I started reading them. She wasn't in the first one, she showed up for about two pages in the second, she was in the third but she was lumped in with a bunch of other Mord Sith and didn't really do anything to stand out. I was starting to get concerned, but decided to give the books one more chance, so I started reading the forth book. At first, I was actually hopeful. Cara was given a more prominent role right off the bat, so I dared to feel dream that the rest of the book would be worth reading. Big mistake.

TVCara is a stoic badass who had to ordered to reveal anything about her past and would rather die than show or admit her true feelings, hiding behind a facade of heartlessness and sarcasm, and yet she nevertheless slowly opens herself up to friendship after enduring all manner of hell with the heroes (unlike in the books, in the show they are actually heroic). BookCara reveals her entire back story in the second chapter of the 4th book for no reason and at a really random time, goes on and on about how much she loves Richard (not in a romantic way), gets her ass handed to her in her first fight, and is made to play with chipmunks. Fucking Chipmunks! TVCara would beat the crap out of Richard if he even suggested such a thing!

I realize it is entirely irrational to hate Goodkind for ruining Cara, because it was the tv show that changed his characterization of her, and not the other way around, and I should focus on how the show was able to salvage something out of those god awful books, but you know what....I READ 4 GOODKIND BOOKS FOR NOTHING! I DO NOT FEEL LIKE BEING RATIONAL!!!!!

Archived