Are Terry Goodkind books of the So Bad its Good type?

Ser Rodrigo Belmonte

How does Goodkind feel about the show? Is it a cruelly cancelled masterpiece or is it a foul mockery of his brilliance?

I may be mis-remembering, but I don't believe he liked it.

The whole, "kinda like Xena" angle...

I remember the Yeardites mostly hated it. Not only did it become a Fantasy series devoid of Important Human Themes, it even made Dick into a nice person who did things out of altruism! The production company clearly realising that the wider TV audience was not quite ready for a "hero" who refused to help people until they "deserved" it, etc etc etc. :D

Goodkind liked the show and wanted a third season. Sure it went completely against his "philosophy", was hated by fans of the books, and had about as much in common with his books as a documentary about bats has in common with Batman, but on the other hand it was making him money, and that's the really important thing. If I was a fan of the books I'd be pissed. But I'm not, so I just laugh.

I liked "Legend of the Seeker" well enough. I liked "Xena: Warrior Princess" as well, and find them both good light entertainment. I read "Wizard's First Rule" for the first and only time about 15 years ago, and I thought it was ok. I liked David Eddings much better back then. I actually read the entirety of the Mallorean, the Belgariad, and the Elenium. I've only read the one Goodkind book.

TBH, I found Eddings to be a far superior writer- and the best part is, Eddings acknowledged that he was writing light fantasy for children and young adults. He never claimed to be a Great Artist wrestling with Important Issues and Human Themes.

RIP David Eddings, you brought a lot of enjoyment to nerdy kids everywhere.

How does Goodkind feel about the show? Is it a cruelly cancelled masterpiece or is it a foul mockery of his brilliance?

It's hard to say, since he wanted it both ways; I'm betting he loved the money that the show generated for him, and at first he and Mystar were all over the place talking the show up, while at the same time trying to gently lower expectations. But once it became clear that the show wasn't doing great, and more that the book fans near universally hated it, Terry released a statement on his website about how he was disappointed with the show and how the TV people ruined his creation.

"Its pointed, barbed, erect phallus stood out, plainly silhouetted against the candles beyond''

Signature line if I ever saw one.

I never read Tairy, not a word. Jebus, I could barely make it through three books of Jordan. You people have either unholy stamina or read this stuff when you were too young to have shit detectors. When the Tairy threads started a few years ago, I would read them at work and laugh until I cried. Especially at the chicken and the goat. Jebus.

Yeah, reading Goodkind is a horrifying little journey where you get to learn everything you never ever wanted to know about Terry's kinks.

We get hot torture nymphs in the Episode where Ramsay Theon gets separated from his favourite toy.

That was Theon, not Ramsay, and only in the show anyway. In the book it was only alluded at and there was a lot of discussion what parts of his anatomy the little jerk may be missing, besides fingers and toes. ;)

(I don't even watch the show since the introduction of Talisa, but I've read about that scene.)

Archived