Was Rhaegar feminine?

Nami

Sansa likes hotties, but shes also all about whats on the inside. Shes grown up, our little bird.

Mamoa is sexy? Huh...i suppose hes just not my style. Too much beef for my cake. I like dudes well built though, so ill just take Kit Harington and....

:leaving:

You have to get some of that facial hair off of Drogo and see Jason himself smile. I've never seen him in anything else, but I've seen a quickie youtube of him calling a fan 'Moon of My Life' and it was the sweetest thing. Kit Harrington is all kinds of stunningly beautiful, certainly not how Jon Snow is described in the books to be Ned Stark/Sean Bean Jr, but I'm not complaining, LOL

I can't imagine the stunning masculine beauty that would be required for casting Rhaegar. I wouldn't mind helping with a casting call, maybe we can get a good illustrated KotLT story to go with something played out on screen. A girl must......dream.

Sansa likes hotties, but shes also all about whats on the inside. Shes grown up, our little bird.

Mamoa is sexy? Huh...i suppose hes just not my style. Too much beef for my cake. I like dudes well built though, so ill just take Kit Harington and....

Lady Fevre Dream is right; he's more polished these days when he's not being Drogo or hardcore surfing. But different strokes/pokes for different folks! Damn, a shorter list would be actors on the show who I don't find sexy. It's a sexy sexyperson fest full of pretty people, from pretty young stags to svelte silver foxes.

I was totally agreeing with your theory, though. Pretty boys then muscley studmuffins. Stages*. (*Unless you like dogs, in which case, you always do.)

(Poor Jeyne, I hate what happened to her.)

...I am trying not to let my awful sense of humor send me into giggles. Not working. *collapses in pile of sympathetic sadface giggles*

I can't imagine the stunning masculine beauty that would be required for casting Rhaegar. I wouldn't mind helping with a casting call, maybe we can get a good illustrated KotLT story to go with something played out on screen. A girl must......dream.

This whole thread is making me want to fire up the Photoshop and start doing silver hair/purple eye makeovers on a few actors.

Perhaps that is the very reason why there are no flashbacks in the show. Ive pondered that at length. No flashbacks = No one hot enough that exists to play Rhaegar and/or Arthur Dayne.

Thats a pretty big cockblock, HBO.

...I am trying not to let my awful sense of humor send me into giggles.

At least I didn't say anything about what dogs do to wolves. :)

Perhaps that is the very reason why there are no flashbacks in the show. Ive pondered that at length. No flashbacks = No one hot enough that exists to play Rhaegar and/or Arthur Dayne.

I know, I want to see that SOOOOOOOO bad.

Well, it's not just Tyrion who is the God of TITS and wine, le sigh, HBO, le sigh.

At least I didn't say anything about what dogs do to wolves. :)

I know, I want to see that SOOOOOOOO bad.

If Sansa reunites with Sandor, it's going to be what wolves do to dogs :cool4:

Bran needs to get back to dreaming. Bloodraven better make him look at Robert's Rebellion. Or maybe there will be a lone weirwood when Rhaegar tracks down the Knight of the Laughing Tree, teehee.

If Sansa reunites with Sandor, it's going to be what wolves do to dogs :cool4:

You are right! It's her turn! :)

Bran needs to get back to dreaming. Bloodraven better make him look at Robert's Rebellion. Or maybe there will be a lone weirwood when Rhaegar tracks down the Knight of the Laughing Tree, teehee.

Oh, please, I so want to hear more of that story. He said we would!

Rheagar's entire life revolved around some future destiny that others seem to have been unable to understand. Great Uncle Aemon was probably the closest to understanding what he was trying to fulfill and possibly Ser Arthur Dayne. Rheagar was not feminin from what we were told, but scholarly and marshal with a depressing lonliness.

A good example of an emotion-free analytical approach to text.

Rhaegar was also married with two small children. Also, according to our friendly Ned Robert was muscled like a maiden's dream, thus he was probably pretty smoking hot.

My impression is that sometimes people are a bit oblivious to what many intelligent women are attracted to. Hint: nothing to do with muscles and superficiality, much to do with intensity and complexity. It's all in the challenge ;)

Regarding Rhaegar, pffffft, my favorite characters are Theon, Jaime, and Sansa. Give me all the fucked up complicated characters, I find them interesting. So yeah, Rhaegar intrigues me. Smart dumbass, looney tunes hottie, well-meaning megalomaniac, immature scholar-prince who wanted to make a choice that was his and not a duty + save the world with prophecy babies? All of the above? Tell me GRRM!

Indeed :) A characterization is spot on when readers are left 'craving' for more insight into the 'mystery'. Rooting for this or that character is a waste of intellectual energy that could instead be used to try and get into the head of the author and understand the finer aspects of his talent. I'm all in for the ride.

Indeed :) A characterization is spot on when readers are left 'craving' for more insight into the 'mystery'. Rooting for this or that character is a waste of intellectual energy that could instead be used to try and get into the head of the author and understand the finer aspects of his talent. I'm all in for the ride.

I think we're all being a bit lighthearted intentionally here. You can "get into the head of the author and understand the finer aspects of his talent" and most of us have spent "intellectual energy" doing just that. You can also take time to just enjoy the story.

And I think in the midst of being lighthearted, we were also reflecting on his writing. He's deliberately shown two strong women getting weepy over Rhaegar. Lyanna sniffled. Cersei wept. He often uses repetition to make points. I think he's saying that there's something about Rhaegar that's very appealing to women, so that's likely part of their character motivation.

My impression is that sometimes people are a bit oblivious to what many intelligent women are attracted to. Hint: nothing to do with muscles and superficiality, much to do with intensity and complexity. It's all in the challenge ;)

This sounds judgmental to me, why can't intelligent women be attracted to attractive men?

As le cyg says we all enjoy literature in different ways. Me, I like to root for characters I like. You are free to enjoy the books in your own way as well brah, and I wouldn't call how you like to read a waste of intellectual energy, or nerdy, or any other adjectives I can think of to describe it.

I think we're all being a bit lighthearted intentionally here. You can "get into the head of the author and understand the finer aspects of his talent" and most of us have spent "intellectual energy" doing just that. You can also take time to just enjoy the story.

And I think in the midst of being lighthearted, we were also reflecting on his writing. He's deliberately shown two strong women getting weepy over Rhaegar. Lyanna sniffled. Cersei wept. He often uses repetition to make points. I think he's saying that there's something about Rhaegar that's very appealing to women, so that's likely part of their character motivation.

:agree: That's what I meant with 'leaving the reader craving for more'. Rhaegar is - narratively speaking - an example of GRRM's talent 'cause after 5 books still leaves people wondering. Lightheartendess was not what my 'energy saving' bit was addressing lol. Rather certain exaggerated manifestations of... dislike that sometimes afflict the boards. We are here 'cause we all love the Song, with its high and low notes, its adagios and allegros and its endless tonal nuances.

He's pretty damn sexy, the sexiest guy in the series so far. If he had less eyeliner and a more normal beard...

I don't quite get the Kit thing, he's seems kind of small, and that awful beard... But different strokes :leer:

This sounds judgmental to me, why can't intelligent women be attracted to attractive men?

Never said that. Muscles or superficiality don't equate attractiveness though.

As le cyg says we all enjoy literature in different ways. Me, I like to root for characters I like. You are free to enjoy the books in your own way as well brah, and I wouldn't call how you like to read a waste of intellectual energy, or nerdy, or any other adjectives I can think of to describe it.

Sometimes 'rooting' gets rude though. Even hurtful. And it's a pity 'cause it ruins the magic of sharing a passion. As for 'nerdy', I don't mind it all :) I think Martin and his complex, multi-layered writing style is the epitome of nerdness ;)

He's pretty damn sexy, the sexiest guy in the series so far. If he had less eyeliner and a more normal beard...

I don't quite get the Kit thing, he's seems kind of small, and that awful beard... But different strokes :leer:

Heh, true that. I don't really get the Kit Harington thing either, but then what women are attracted to is sometimes a mystery to me >.<

I'll agree with E-Ro that somebody's intelligence has nothing to do with what you're attracted to, to me it seems like a defense mechanism when somebody doesn't like you: that the person in question is just dumb and superficial.

I like beautiful women, does that make me superficial? Sod that, if I'm not attracted to a person, there's no point in pretending to be in the name of political correctness, what good would that do anyone?

Never said that. Muscles or superficiality don't equate attractiveness though.

Eh, I disagree. Of course people can be attractive in different ways but looks are the first indicater. Dismissing people who are attracted to good looking people as superficial or shallow is insulting. Also I don't know what world your living in but in this one people are judged based on looks, it doesn't make you shallow it makes you human.

Sometimes 'rooting' gets rude though. Even hurtful. And it's a pity 'cause it ruins the magic of sharing a passion. As for 'nerdy', I don't mind it all :) I think Martin and his complex, multi-layered writing style is the epitome of nerdness ;)

Occasionally things get heated, no doubt. That doesn't make it any less fun though.

Heh, true that. I don't really get the Kit Harington thing either, but then what women are attracted to is sometimes a mystery to me >.<

I'll agree with E-Ro that somebody's intelligence has nothing to do with what you're attracted to, to me it seems like a defense mechanism when somebody doesn't like you: that the person in question is just dumb and superficial.

I like beautiful women, does that make me superficial? Sod that, if I'm not attracted to a person, there's no point in pretending to be in the name of political correctness, what good would that do anyone?

Agreed.

If you think you know, you're probably as far away from the truth as possible ;)

:agree: That's what I meant with 'leaving the reader craving for more'. Rhaegar is - narratively speaking - an example of GRRM's talent 'cause after 5 books still leaves people wondering.

Yep. To judge by the number of threads devoted to an off-screen character who's been dead 14 years prior to the beginning of the first book, I'd say Martin has done a bang up job of creating and sustaining interest.

I'd venture to say that less intelligent Westerosi females thought Rhaegar was hot too.

Archived