Attack on Titan

Gendels Children

so ive been watching the new Anime series 'Attack on Titan' and so far ive been really really loving it!. BUT my friends have not seen it nor my work mates and im starting to wonder just how popular it is because I truly think its worth a big fuss. also I found this shirt on tee fury http://www.teefury.com/gallery/2570/Attack_on_the_Wall/ (which I bought right away) that incorporates both my fave things, ASOIAF and AOT, I just wanted to share that with you guys and find out just how you all feel about the anime series

• 8 months later...

I have to admit that I'm not really into anime. Apart from Pokémon, I can only recall enjoying "Gundam Wings". Most of the other anime I saw was so bad that it isn't worth mentioning. Attack on Titan though, now that was something different. Don't know how I started watching them, usually I avoid anime, but this just drew me in.

The style is amazing, I love the kitsch elements (only Germans seem to have survived), the action is cool, the characters well written, etc. After 25 episodes I can only say that I love AoT. I'm seriously ticked off that we apparantly aren't getting a second season in 2014. That just sucks.

I'm a fan. Great characters, great action, a good central mystery, and truly horrifying villains - huge sexless smiling cannibal giants. Creepy. AoT is the only anime series I've been able to watch straight through since Samurai Champloo.

Levi, Annie, Mikasa, Pixis, and Commander Smith are all awesome, and the ODM's make for some interesting and wholly original fight scenes.

My only quibble with AoT:

The cast of characters is rather large, and it's hard to keep track of all the secondary characters, especially the scout regiment soldiers. One will die, and they have to remind us of that character through flashback or dialogue or something. This was more prevalent in the battle for Trost than in later episodes, but because of this, I thought for a few minutes that Reiner had died, so I was subsequently bummed out until the explanation. It's a minor complaint, but it did jar me out of the story a bit.

AoT is actually really popular in the anime circles right now. I really like it, but the manga only comes out around once a month iirc. So the anime gets held up a bunch for a long time to wait for the manga to get ahead (having no crappy filler arcs/episodes is worth it imo). The art work in the manga combines with the shear number of characters and similar character designs makes it really hard for me to differentiate the different people until the anime comes out and colors everything so it looks different. So I really am still waiting for the second season for the anime to come out.

I have to admit that I'm not really into anime. Apart from Pokémon, I can only recall enjoying "Gundam Wings". Most of the other anime I saw was so bad that it isn't worth mentioning. Attack on Titan though, now that was something different. Don't know how I started watching them, usually I avoid anime, but this just drew me in.

The style is amazing, I love the kitsch elements (only Germans seem to have survived), the action is cool, the characters well written, etc. After 25 episodes I can only say that I love AoT. I'm seriously ticked off that we apparantly aren't getting a second season in 2014. That just sucks.

the author releases a new chapter of the manga each month which you can find online to read.

Obviously we wont be getting a new season until he's written enough new material

the author releases a new chapter of the manga each month which you can find online to read.

Obviously we wont be getting a new season until he's written enough new material

I'm like 3 issued behind but I think there would be enough for another 12 episodes or so. Guess they're waiting for 2 seasons worth of material

I love Attack on Titan, probably my favorite manga/anime to come out in a long time. Everything from the aesthetic (steampunk-ish with evil giants), to the characters, to the plot, to the...well, everything. I binge-watched it when it first came out in Netflix, and finished the entire first season in about three or four days... :drool:

So what exactly is this?

I watched Gundam Wing sporadically and liked it (although I was often confused about what was happening; see, sporadically), and I saw most of Dragonball/Z and thought it was fine, albeit with way too much filler during the Freeza saga. And that's about it for my anime-watching. I'm fine with the genre in theory, but I get easily tired of teenage protaganists, or, even worse, pre-teens who are geniuses/have a great deal of responsibility. I dealt with it during Gundam though because giant fighting robots.

So what exactly is this?

I watched Gundam Wing sporadically and liked it (although I was often confused about what was happening; see, sporadically), and I saw most of Dragonball/Z and thought it was fine, albeit with way too much filler during the Freeza saga. And that's about it for my anime-watching. I'm fine with the genre in theory, but I get easily tired of teenage protaganists, or, even worse, pre-teens who are geniuses/have a great deal of responsibility. I dealt with it during Gundam though because giant fighting robots.

*Spoilers for first episode*

It's basically about a world where humanity has walled itself off from these giant (3-15 meter) human-like creatures that eat people. Eventually, one of the walls breaks, the giants seep in, kill people, and things get real. It does feature pubescent protagonists in the beginning, although the first season contains a time skip of several years pretty early on, so I think they end up about sixteen or seventeen. I thought the setting was pretty novel, the action scenes were great, the music was great, and while I felt some of the characters tend to fall into common anime stereotypes, I think those stereotypes are done very well in this case.

I'd definitely give it a try.

The main characters a lot older than most anime, instead of like 14/15 i think they're like 17.

It's also not just action, it has mystery and twists and a lot of VERY DIFFERENT and likable characters. It really is a cut above a lot of anime. When it first came out it was quite big in anime circles.

and a lot of VERY DIFFERENT and likable characters.

Who are all of German descent :p Btw does the manga give an explanation for that? I love the kitschiness of the bavarian style towns and the German looking populace XD

Also, love the Norma Desmond pic. More people should watch Sunset Blvd. such a great classic

So what exactly is this?

Strange isn't it, I don't like anime at all, so I usually tend to avoid it. There are only two series that I really love: AoT and Gundam Wings. I remember seeing GW on the tv when I was a young boy. And you like GW as well, even though you haven't seen much anime.

Since there seem to be some aficionados of anime in this thread, how do anime fans look at GW? Is it a cult classic or one of the all time greats? Do people still watch it?

When i heard they were producing an AoT anime, i whispered to myself "It's about time". The manga is great, though having to wait in between chapter releases is a constant pain in my side, though usually worth the wait. The anime didn't disappoint and unlike some anime adaptations stuck extremely close to the manga, which is a plus in my book. I am glad they are holding off for season two, even though it is green lit. Gives some more material to work with that way.

Time for the truth though. I am not a fan of Levi at all. No logical reasons really, just find his character grating, but that's just my own two cents.

I recommend reading the manga, and if you are a fan of Levi, his spin off manga. There is also a before the fall manga which takes place around 70-100 years BEFORE the events in episode one. I can not attest to the Levi spin off manga, but the "before the fall" manga is pretty good so far and I am hoping it will answer some of the mysteries.

In a sad way it is a shame for it to become so popular, but that's just me wearing those silly "hipster" glasses

Okay so I watched the first several episodes today. Those are some pretty crazy-looking monsters. The main character was grating as a kid, but he's better grown up, and the rest of them are either fine or get so little screen time that it doesn't matter. Music's pretty awesome.

Here's a question (although if the answer's a big spoiler don't tell me it), is this supposed to be a post-apocalyptic Earth or is it a fantasy world? I can't quite tell.

Never really say because there are no maps of the world anymore. But I always assumed it was Earth, and that the story took place around central Europe maybe on top of and a little East of Germany present day.

My big questions is how much land are between these walls? Because it feels like there is very little land, and then an almost infinite amount of land some time later. Like there is no real amount and the writer is just using what he wants at the time.

Who are all of German descent :P Btw does the manga give an explanation for that? I love the kitschiness of the bavarian style towns and the German looking populace XD

I haven't read the manga, but I think that the Wall is in what was previously Germany or a Central Europe country. Quite simple.

They talk btw in the show about Mikasa's asian origins and say that people with asian features are very rare. Which makes sense given the supposed location of the Wall.

Archived