NFL 2013 Week 2 - Week 3: Running Back Graveyard

BLU-RAY

Uggggh... that was a rough game to watch for an EST guy with work at 8 AM.

Niners are going to have to work hard all season to make sure they can get homefield over the Seahawks. No way they want to repeat that experience.

Wow...they play the Bills too. If it's any consolation, I think the Browns have a good thing going on defense. They could definitely build around that.

If there was ever any indication that the Thursday night games should be destroyed (excepting Thanksgiving), this match up may be it.

I hope you haven't missed The Onion's take on fantasy football...

http://youtu.be/JpFunW63W9o

Hilarious man. That reminds me of my league so much (as well as any other league I suppose). We have a fantasy party on the last day of the season at the local dive, and whoever comes in last has to make a speech about why they should be allowed back into the league the following year.

I've forgotten the name of that website last year that did the QBs' Facebook conversations after the games were played. Are they doing that again this year? Some of that was hilarious.

I did see a meme of Peyton and Eli last night. It was a collage of pictures with facial expressions of the two of them and it had:

Peyton: Knock Knock

Eli: Who's there?

Peyton: Owen.

Eli: Owen Who?

Peyton: Owen two.

:rofl:

I think for the Browns, it's time to falter for Bridgewater.

I don't know if any amount of faltering will get them under Jacksonville though.

Oooooh... after I typed that first sentence, I just checked the Browns' schedule.

Check it out!

Week 13. Browns v. Jags. Loser gets Bridgewater.

:lol:

I think for the Browns, it's time to falter for Bridgewater.

There are a few other options as well, like Mariota, Carr, Fales, ect. I think any of them would be better than Weeden and younger. So even if they miss out on Bridgewater, I still think they take a QB.

There are a few other options as well, like Mariota, Carr, Fales, ect. I think any of them would be better than Weeden and younger. So even if they miss out on Bridgewater, I still think they take a QB.

But Jadaveon Clowney is still the consensus best player in the draft is he not? (I haven't looked at any draft boards since the season started and don't know if he has dropped at all.)

So given that Bridgewater is the clear cut best QB out there, would you take a Mariota or someone like that before you took Clowney? I think if I were going second in the draft and the Jags took Teddy; I'd go Clowney and then grab a QB at the top of the second. The drop off in QB talent from there doesn't seem drastic to me.

ETA: Or maybe they could just trade for Josh Freeman...

Running the ball is not sexy.

Well, the more accurate answer is that running the ball doesn't produce as many points as passing it, especially with new rules protecting quarterbacks and wide receivers, but even before. NFL coaches are a notoriously conservative and risk averse bunch, and it's only slowly changing.

ETA: How much credit should Seattle fans get for the noise in the Qwest field? It was designed by acoustic engineers to maximize the crowd noise.

But Jadaveon Clowney is still the consensus best player in the draft is he not? (I haven't looked at any draft boards since the season started and don't know if he has dropped at all.)

So given that Bridgewater is the clear cut best QB out there, would you take a Mariota or someone like that before you took Clowney? I think if I were going second in the draft and the Jags took Teddy; I'd go Clowney and then grab a QB at the top of the second. The drop off in QB talent from there doesn't seem drastic to me.

i think if you are picking second, you almost have to take clowney. clowney from what everyone seems to say is a number one pick in almost any year. dominant player at a premium position.

I'd take a borderline pro bowl quarterback over a top twenty all time pass rusher. The questions are if you're guaranteed to get a pretty good quarterback, (since despite recent busts like Vernon Gholston, I think pass rushers are still easier to evaluate than quarterbacks) and if you can't wait a round a still get a pretty good quarterback.

He didn't play well during the meaningful portion of the game. Too many 3 and outs. And zero points at halftime is unacceptable. That said, he's a distant second to the play of the defense as far as "concerning things about this team" right now.

The defense has been really bad, without question. But I actually think that from the first two games, the offense has been worse. The first two weeks, we've played the Eagles and the Packers. Both teams have really good offenses. Vick + McCoy + Chip Kelly = a lot of points. Aaron Rodgers has made a lot of good defenses look terrible. Even in a losing effort he put up 28 on the road against SF, and that might be the most anyone scores on them all year. So some struggles from the defense was to be expected. Now, obviously I thought they would be a helluva lot better than this, but some growing pains are gonna happen against elite units.

Compare that to the Eagles and Packers defenses though. Both units have been terrible when playing non-Washington teams this year, and both were very poor last year. And yet, in the first half of those two games, the Washington offense has managed 0 points, 0 third down conversions, 2 interceptions, 1 fumble lost, and 1 safety. Is it any wonder that the defense is struggling? I mean, I remember the Steve Spurrier Redskins and the Grossman/Beck experiment, and I have still never seen offensive ineptitude like this. And this is against two so-so defenses. What is going to happen when we play Chicago, or Denver, or San Francisco? I'm sure it can get worse, but I'm not really sure how.

The offense is playing so badly that it is really really hard for the defense to do anything but fail. And remember, the defense was pretty awful in the first 9 games last year too, and only moved up to "pretty decent" during the 7 game win streak. The offense is the strength of this team, and they have been catastrophically failing against weak competition these first two weeks.

Yes. I would take a QB if there was one there that I strongly believed could be a franchise player. A pass rusher is important and a premium position but a QB will dictate your future. If your guy is there, you take him.

The offense is playing so badly that it is really really hard for the defense to do anything but fail. And remember, the defense was pretty terrible in the first 9 games last year two, and only moved up to "pretty decent" during the 7 game win streak. The offense is the strength of this team, and they have been catastrophically failing against weak competition these first two weeks.

To an extent, I agree. But the difference I see is that the defense isn't even competing out there. It's not just giving up a lot of yards and points, it's that the Skins aren't even contesting passes or showing up in the screen to bottle up the run. Every play looks like it's 11 on 9. And even when it comes to making the mop up tackle 15 yards downfield, we're missing those too. There's nothing fundamentally sound occurring there.

And yes, while the offense is undoubtedly the strength of the team and has done terrible in the first half against two suspect defenses...I don't feel like it's that far off. It's the rust and the sloppiness especially showing up on third down that's preventing them from executing. I feel like just a little bit more precision and it can easily start getting on a roll. As for the defense I have no idea where you even start to correct some of the things we saw on Sunday. Aaron Rodgers is an awesome QB, but it has never been that easy for him in his career. I'm more concerned than just the results at this point...it's the difference in process I see between the two units.

ETA: Also feel like the offense's struggles are explainable. You have a QB coming back from major knee reconstruction who is rusty and hesitant and not quite himself in several ways similar to others trying to return to form from major ACL injuries. The defense, I don't know where to even start to explain it...outside of shaky rookie play in the secondary becoming burnt toast, but that's only part of what is going wrong.

I'd take a borderline pro bowl quarterback over a top twenty all time pass rusher. The questions are if you're guaranteed to get a pretty good quarterback, (since despite recent busts like Vernon Gholston, I think pass rushers are still easier to evaluate than quarterbacks) and if you can't wait a round a still get a pretty good quarterback.

i think you are. in all the time that ive been watching college football i think bridgewater is the 5th skill position player that has looked like a can't miss star. well at the skill positions. i dont really attempt to evaluate linemen. peterson, calvin johnson, aj green, and pre-injury lattimore. bridgewater looks to be in that class. better than any qb to come out of college since likely manning. (im guessing, i was too young to see much of mannings college career)

in general you are correct, its easier for a qb to fool people than a pass rusher, but this one specifically, i highly doubt it. if bridgewater isnt better than luck, griffin, kap, etc, i will be shocked

I'm not so sure that pass rushers are easier to evaluate, at least at the top of the draft. I think the miss rate is fairly similar.

Archived