Football 53: Come on feel the Moyes!

Xray the Enforcer

Sturridge and Suarez continue to be a fantastic partnership though, none of the other top teams has a striker partnership so attuned to each other and where both players score easily.

Soldado and Giroud are alone upfront, United doesn't really have a fixed partner for RvP at all, Chelsea also plays a lone striker and it changes from week to week who that is. So City comes closest, but I don't see the same level of chemistry there.

Oh, in other news, I watched Real vs Atletico live last night. Atletico continues to be great, the should have won by bigger numbers. Real Madrid was nowhere to be seen. Ronaldo was invisible, Benzema awful once again and booed by his own fans again. Bale came in from the right. Atletico however has Diego Costa, the man with the best villain face in Spanish football. Only 24 years old he is, and the Spanish FA is doing their utmost to get him to be eligible to play for Spain at the 2014 World Cup.

At least Liverpool reversed their mini-slump today, especially in a potential banana-skin away from home against a motivated wild card team. But thankfully Sunderland does not have enough attacking talent to go with their temporary zeal.

Sturridge and Suarez linked beautifully and Danny looked fitter today and benefited from defenders needing to watch Suarez too. Aside from the two goals, there were a couple of occasions where only a perfect tackle from Cuellar prevented Sturridge from going through to set up other goals.

Mignolet had a bad error to gift them a soft goal, but at least he picked the right game to make a mistake. Otherwise they created very little. They had a lot of shots but nearly all from distance and mostly blocked. The two best chances were a Larsson free kick that was not a foul by Lucas and a chip to Gardner who should have been called offside.

This 3-4-1-2 formation is deeply suspect but largely forced by injuries in a thin squad. Sakho, Toure and Skrtel all did very well today. I don't know how Rodgers will keep all the CBs happy when Agger is back, not to mention Ilori not yet getting a game either. Moses is very out of position but did OK. Henderson has the engine for that wing-back role but his many crosses produced nothing and we need his coverage in the middle. Gerrard and Lucas are still underperforming in central midfield. Lucas is suspended for the next game so I guess we'll see Alberto there with Allen still injured, or else Henderson there with Sterling as a right wing-back at home to Palace. When we have Coutinho and Allen back available, I think Gerrard will need to be "rested". His occasional Hollywood passes are not enough.

The good news is that Suarez will get better as match sharpness returns and the team will get better when Johnson, Kelly, Cissokho return to offer attacking full backs and Coutinho and Allen return to offer link-up play going forward.

The next international break comes after next weekend. These stop-start interruptions to the season are really annoying. Let's hope for no injuries. I can imagine Sturridge playing for England even though he isn't fully fit yet.

Inter dropped the ball with a draw against Cagliari today, next week it's Roma at home who are in great form at the moment, I'm quietly confident though, still it could be worse I could support the wrong Milan Club :P.

Inter was very unlucky, they were the better team by far.

I am a Roma fan and have been ecstatic by our season so far. Everything is going great so far, all new players have been hits, even Gervinho, Benatia has been absolutely sensational at the back, and the team is best organised since the early Capello years. Rudi Garcia has done a fantastic job so far. The schedule's been easy, of course, but still it's these games against the minnows which we've always struggled with a lot.

The game against Inter next week should tell us a lot whether this Roma is for real and about Mazzarri's Inter too, which has been very impressive so far.

Inter was very unlucky, they were the better team by far.

I am a Roma fan and have been ecstatic by our season so far. Everything is going great so far, all new players have been hits, even Gervinho, Benatia has been absolutely sensational at the back, and the team is best organised since the early Capello years. Rudi Garcia has done a fantastic job so far. The schedule's been easy, of course, but still it's these games against the minnows which we've always struggled with a lot.

The game against Inter next week should tell us a lot whether this Roma is for real and about Mazzarri's Inter too, which has been very impressive so far.

Roma have been great so far it just goes to show what getting a good coach can do, for both Roma and Inter actually, I'm looking forward to next week, it should be a great game that I will be glued to, win or lose :).

Good first half from Seattle. Spent the last 30 minutes or so knocking on the door, and got a spot kick right at the end. Great to see Brad Evans knock it in. Red Bulls are pretty toothless without Henry. Martins is so industrious for this side, love that. ETA: lol, Brad Evans tugs on Cahill's shirt, who promptly puts Evans into a head lock.

Sturridge and Suarez continue to be a fantastic partnership though, none of the other top teams has a striker partnership so attuned to each other and where both players score easily.

Soldado and Giroud are alone upfront, United doesn't really have a fixed partner for RvP at all, Chelsea also plays a lone striker and it changes from week to week who that is. So City comes closest, but I don't see the same level of chemistry there.

i don't know about that.

van persie and rooney seemed very comfortable together last season and didn't look half bad this season either.

Here's my write up of the Spurs vs City U18's game from Saturday.

http://typicalcity.org/2013/09/30/tottenham-u18s-vs-manchester-city-u18s-saturday-28th-september-2013/

Will be of interest to board members of The Yid Army, City fans and anyone interested in youth football.

Eta: there's a comment from a spurs fan on the end that says I'm a credit to Manchester City.

Its hard to argue really.

You are a credit to all who know ye.

*firm noed*

Ha, cheers!

Maltaran - I did, yeah. I defer to my Tottenham supporting friends on this who have a much more intimate knowledge on the issue than me, the FA, or the politicians weighing in.

http://www.youllwinnothingwithyids.com/2011/04/you-cant-take-y-word-away-from-us.html?m=1

http://dispatchesfromafootballsofa.com/2013/09/22/were-tottenham-hotspur-well-sing-what-we-want/

http://dispatchesfromafootballsofa.com/2013/09/23/afterword-were-tottenham-hotspur-well-sing-what-we-want/

Apologies if my usage above caused any offence, obviously.

Here's my write up of the Spurs vs City U18's game from Saturday.

http://typicalcity.org/2013/09/30/tottenham-u18s-vs-manchester-city-u18s-saturday-28th-september-2013/

Will be of interest to board members of The Yid Army, City fans and anyone interested in youth football.

Eta: there's a comment from a spurs fan on the end that says I'm a credit to Manchester City.

Its hard to argue really.

Thanks, nice write up.

The Spurs youth teams have been doing really well for a few years now.

Archived