[Spoilers] Breaking Bad - The whole thing felt kinda shady, y'know, morality-wise?

Bridgeburners

I didn't see anyone predict robogun. I certainly didn't. Makes sense now though. We were led to believe he'd go all Scarface, even including them showing Scarface on the show. But that would have been silly with Walt.

Me and some others discussed it back in the threads during part 1, and it was actually considered a bit too simple/easy in most of our minds. The way it played out though was perfect. I had considered maybe Walt would set it up to work with a phone or something and kill them all with a remote gun while in the bathroom or something.

I was satisfied with these last two episodes, I think they were great, although there was very little Marie and Jesse in these two episodes. But more than that, what is really great is this series as a whole. If you look at it from start to finish it's a great story.

And damn, episode 15's ending was brilliant. And as many have said, even though Walt has done some bad things, I was still rooting for him during these episodes. I liked the mounted gun, it showed what Walt's character is and has been doing during the show. He is great at coming up with stuff like that.

And no, the finale wasn't the shows best episode, but it was good enough and a satisfying conclusion to the story.

Just wanna say I dislike when people try to use the argument of, "How did you want it to end?" or "How would you change it?". It's a ridiculous qualifier. It's like going to a restaurant, not liking the meal, and then having a random patron come up and say, "But what exactly didn't you like about the meal? What would you change to make the meal better?". The audience doesn't have the burden of saying what they'd like better. They pay for the entertainment, it's the entertainer who's paid to satisfy. Period.

I'm not trying to apply this to BB by the way, since even though I was somewhat disappointed by the ending, I'd never accuse BB of shorthanding me. The show is fucking phenomenal. It's my second favorite after The Sopranos. But the argument I described comes up in the discussion of many types of media and I've always disliked it, and you only see it come up when there's a group of people trying to defend something they like from a vocal (and often justified) group of people that don't. It's like a last resort argument.

For me BB is #1, just ahead of the Sopranos and Wire. I loved the ending, even though it didn't completely blow me away. I also appreciate that for once a show ended on a high note, and we don't get those too often these days.

Well, I guess the wait for the next generational show begins...

For me BB is #1, just ahead of the Sopranos and Wire. I loved the ending, even though it didn't completely blow me away. I also appreciate that for once a show ended on a high note, and we don't get those too often these days.

Well, I guess the wait for the next generational show begins...

Haven't seen the Sopranos, though I intend on it at some point. But as far as BB and the Wire go, they are the two best shows I've ever seen. However, I don't know if I'll ever watch something that I like more than the Wire. Watching it was an experience like I've never known before. (if you cant tell by my username and avatar :p)

I've maintained for the last while that The Wire is my favourite show of all time. Although after BB is done, I don't know if I can judge it objectively. I'm going to give 5b some time to sink in, then I'll think a while later. But in my mind they're basically tied.

Haven't seen the Sopranos, though I intend on it at some point. But as far as BB and the Wire go, they are the two best shows I've ever seen. However, I don't know if I'll ever watch something that I like more than the Wire. Watching it was an experience like I've never known before. (if you cant tell by my username and avatar :P)

I watched the Wire late on DVDS and was watching Breaking Bad at the start, and I used to think of the Wire as my number 1 show, and Breaking Bad as number 2. It's much closer now though having seen all of Breaking Bad. It's hard to compare them because the Wire is like the ASOIF books, with a huge sprawling cast of incredible characters. Breaking Bad is great at really focusing like a laser on it's main characters though. I didn't fully appreciate that in the early seasons. The Wire really kicked the viewers teeth in on some of the finale decisions, too. Won't go into them as this is a Breaking Bad thread.

Walt and Jesse going into business for themselves was my favorite part of the series and I really wanted it to go on longer. It was brutal for me when Combo got shot. Really loved that the old crew of Badger and Pete returned. Walt's last minions. :)

How can we not mention Six Feet Under when talking about great series finales? Shame how that show seems to become more and more forgotten for every year that passes.

That is my favorite series finale of all time. I have never had more emotional response to a tv show, or movie before, or since.

Isn't there a treatment for ricin poisoning? Lydia knows that she was poisoned with ricin, and was clearly capable of driving to a hospital. Is there any chance she might have survived?

From what I understand, there really isn't a treatment. Either you don't ingest enough of the poison to kill you or you die.

According to Wiki there are experimental antidotes, but they're not necessarily widely available from the sound of it. In any case, it probably depends on the dose. The median lethal dose or ricin is less than 40 mg, so if Walt used an amount equivalent to a baby aspirin, he'd have used at least twice the lethal dose.

And it seems to have been at least 12 hours since Lydia had her extra packet of stevia.

Re: Scrubs - wouldn't you have to get through the awful final season(s) to get to the finale?

Well how else did you think that a) this series could close, either him going to jail, or dying, it was pretty much 50/50 there, and b- after watching the flash forwards, did you think Walt would escape unharmed? I didn't think it'd be by his own gun, but I thought Jesse or the Nazis would have killed him for sure.

I mean this is just the logical conclusion. It was either jail or death based on the show as a whole, and specifically based on what we knew. I always leaned towards his death. I thought it was the only way for it to end. Now we can debate specifics, but in the broad sense, this was the only logical conclusion.

Yeah, death or imprisonment are the logical conclusion, sure... but nobody who's complaining about the ending is disputing that. What doesn't feel right is Walt neatly visiting vengeance or reparation on every loose end and having everything work out perfectly. He could've gotten caught anytime before Albuquerque, or gotten burned down by the Nazis immediately, and it would've still satisfied "death or imprisonment" while not feeling quite so fantastical.

Would've been a hell of a lot more depressing, though.

Archived