[Spoilers] Breaking Bad - The whole thing felt kinda shady, y'know, morality-wise?

Bridgeburners

Everything Walt accomplished was in Gus' shadow. Even the Czech deal. Walt would not have been able to take the cartel. Just look at how close the cousins were to killing Walt--a call from Gus saved Walt. Gus knew how to stay hidden. Walt and Jesse brought him on the radar.

When Walt tried to be a gangster and "whack" Gus he failed miserably. That's Gus's shtick, he's spent years doing it. When Walt has time to think and be Machiavellian he does better. He wouldn't have even been on the Cartel's list if he had had a chance to get his ricin to Tuco before the guy went crazy, forcing him to use less subtle measures.EDIT:

It wasn't until the Aryan Brotherhood was about to kill Hank that the consequences of Walter actions really sank in. Watching the scene where he offers the AB all his money if they let Hank live, I could feel him thinking in his head, "If they kill him I am truly lost."

Which was probably the reason for his sheer insanity which is the only explanation I can think of for him thinking that that situation was going to end any differently. Yeah, he gave the money to prove to himself that he would do would have done anything to stop it I think. As a sort of penance so he can look in the mirror after it happens as it must.

I mean, this is just a few millimeters away from Cat Stark territory (except Walder Frey made up his mind months ago).

About Walt as a supervillian. What's great about this show is that he is and he isn't. He's brilliant, lucky, and strong willed. But there are times he's just a guy. It appeared he was having trouble stealing the car before he found the keys.

I remember when Hank was watching the tape of the first big heist. He's amazed when he sees Walt using his chemistry to burn through a door. But then as Walt and Jesse are leaving with the barrel, Hank laughs at them as they struggle with the barrel. "It's a barrel, it rolls." I forget, he might have called them knuckleheads, LOL.

Everything Walt accomplished was in Gus' shadow. Even the Czech deal. Walt would not have been able to take the cartel. Just look at how close the cousins were to killing Walt--a call from Gus saved Walt. Gus knew how to stay hidden. Walt and Jesse brought him on the radar.

Not really. The show established that they were very similar characters. Look at this shot:http://heisenbergchronicles.tumblr.com/post/61376505600/4x08-5x14-x

Walt ended up doing to the Nazis basically what Gus did to the Cartel. You think with Walt's vast chemistry knowledge, the idea of poisoning the Cartel wouldn't have occurred to him? As far as the Czech deal, who ended up killing super-paranoid Lydia? Walt.

He is from Chile and emigrated to Mexico at some point and I believe it is said he may have changed his name and any recor dof his time in Chile is missing, Hector mockingly calls him "grand generilissmo", Don Eladio when he kills his partner says something like, "we know who you are, that is the only reason you are still alive."

Really? How did you find/get the implication of this?

The Cartel don't kill him because they "knew who he was" , presumably he's connected (perhaps the same reason the NN had for not killing Walt).And he was told that he was not in Chile, the implication being that he was no longer a big dog or connected man once he entered Mexico

He emigrated the same year as an assassination attempt on Pinochet and Hector referred to him as "Generalissimo".

That's about it.

It is heavily implied that Gus was part of the Pinochet regime in Chile, so he likely had legit experience in a military dictatorship, he wasn't some yokel that decided to become a gangster.

I'll have to re-watch, but I got the opposite impression - I thought it implied he was a criminal that fled Chile for Mexico rather than being a member of the regime.

I'll have to re-watch, but I got the opposite impression - I thought it implied he was a criminal that fled Chile for Mexico rather than being a member of the regime.

It doesn't make sense to me for Eladio to say "we know who you are, that's why we won't kill you" if he was just a normal refugee from Chile. Giancarlo Esposito got the same impression and according to him it came from Gilligan.

http://seriable.com/breaking-bad-giancarlo-esposito-reveals-gus-backstory-that-might-still-come-to-light/

I think ties to the regime explain how methodical and brutally effiicient he was in running his own empire.

He played up fleeing Pinochet when Hank questioned him as way of explaining why there was no record of him before he showed up in Mexico, but I thought that was just to show how well he covered up his past.

It is heavily implied that Gus was part of the Pinochet regime in Chile, so he likely had legit experience in a military dictatorship, he wasn't some yokel that decided to become a gangster.

I'd always assumed he had just escaped to America and then later on had his records destroyed. It makes a lot more sense for him to have been in the government and fled during its collapse. I feel like...duh...now

It doesn't make sense to me for Eladio to say "we know who you are, that's why we won't kill you" if he was just a normal refugee from Chile. Giancarlo Esposito got the same impression and according to him it came from Gilligan.

http://seriable.com/breaking-bad-giancarlo-esposito-reveals-gus-backstory-that-might-still-come-to-light/

I think ties to the regime explain how methodical and brutally effiicient he was in running his own empire.

He played up fleeing Pinochet when Hank questioned him as way of explaining why there was no record of him before he showed up in Mexico, but I thought that was just to show how well he covered up his past.

Gus being some ruthless general or criminal in Chile just doesn't jibe with me. In the flashback, Gus looks like a deer in the headlights who doesn't understand the ways of the cartel (he just came from Chile, so I'll give him that). But he also seems very eager to please, kind, and almost...innocent. And he's very emotional, seeing his reaction of Max's death. Bottom line: he seemed like a first-time entrant in 'the game'. Now he could've been a small timer or some legitimate executive in Chile, but I doubt he was the ruthless, hiding-in-plain-sight kind of guy he is in present day.

It would then make sense if Gus had become what he is in present day by building it up in the 20 years after his friend's death. He wanted revenge, but he was also ambitious, so he chose the patient route in accomplishing all his goals.

Archived