[Spoilers] Breaking Bad - The whole thing felt kinda shady, y'know, morality-wise?

Bridgeburners

Why does Elliot have the ears of a professional wrestler?

:rofl:

While not perfect, I think the ending was very good, stayed true to the show, and the only things that could/should have been added could have been shown without words, just music. Like JR getting the money (would have been nice) Jesse going to court getting the boy, Hank getting a proper 21 gun salute, and Skyler moving on.

Anybody see the story about Walter Blanco? damn, can't do a link.

ETA: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/02/breaking-bad-spanish-walter-blanco/

Jesse going to court getting the boy

That would be the most far fetched thing in this show's entire history. Brock has a grandmother and Jesse is an ex-junky with a number of arrests who would definitely be wanted by the DEA or presumed dead because Skyler and Marie would certainly have filled the cops in on his involvement, and he has no job, prospects, money, or anyone to recommend him as a guardian except for fellow junky burnouts. Also, the deal Hank promised was never made official, I wonder if the law wouldn't like to go after Jesse for his involvement since Heisenberg escaped their grasp and there is no deal to make.

Jesse would be a horrible parent or guardian, no matter how much he likes kids. He is prone to depression and self-destructive behavior and almost certainly scarred mentally and emotionally from his enslavement and watching Andrea die.

That would be the most far fetched thing in this show's entire history. Brock has a grandmother and Jesse is an ex-junky with a number of arrests who would definitely be wanted by the DEA or presumed dead because Skyler and Marie would certainly have filled the cops in on his involvement, and he has no job, prospects, money, or anyone to recommend him as a guardian except for fellow junky burnouts. Also, the deal Hank promised was never made official and unless the Aryans didn't destroy the tape, I wonder if the law wouln't like to go after Jesse for his involvement since Heisenberg escaped their grasp.

Jesse would be a horrible parent or guardian, no matter how much he likes kids. He is prone to depression and self-destructive behavior and almost certainly scarred mentally and emotionally from his enslavement and watching Andrea die.

All this.

What Jesse has to do is simply disappear. The cops have no reason to assume he's alive anyway.

It might be worse for Jesse if the Aryans were dumb enough to not destroy the tape, because then they have Jesse confessing to a number of crimes and the deal he never really had is no longer on the table anyway. So, yeah, fleeing is the best move.

Was it ever confirmed they were lovers?

I read that Esposito thought they were best friends, not lovers. I think he also said VG purposefully left it open for interpretation.

That would be the most far fetched thing in this show's entire history. Brock has a grandmother and Jesse is an ex-junky with a number of arrests who would definitely be wanted by the DEA or presumed dead because Skyler and Marie would certainly have filled the cops in on his involvement, and he has no job, prospects, money, or anyone to recommend him as a guardian except for fellow junky burnouts. Also, the deal Hank promised was never made official, I wonder if the law wouldn't like to go after Jesse for his involvement since Heisenberg escaped their grasp and there is no deal to make.

Also, it would be very easy to connect Andrea's murder with Jesse. Even asking him about it would have Jesse's face basically confess that they are connected.

Really? In his video Q&A Esposito said he believed they were a couple.

Hmm.. Strange. I'll try to find the article but I read it right after Gus' death so it's been a while. Maybe his perception changed from the time of playing the scene and seeing the final product?

I believe she was a waitress or something, and he was working at Los Alamos - or something - and he used to get lunch where she worked. And they both did the NYT crosswords. There's a story about it in one episode

I wonder if he thought that her need to work as a waitress made her less smart, more likely to depend on him to be the bread-winner and inferior to him in the ways he cared about. Even though I think he and Sky had an overall loving relationship before the lies started, I never got the feeling that he would be able to truthfully say that being married to her was his ideal life - not just because it happened after leaving Gray Matter, but that she wasn't the kind of wife he'd want to be married to if things hadn't worked out with Gretchen but he hadn't left the successful company. I think she was always second best to him.

I wonder if he thought that her need to work as a waitress made her less smart, more likely to depend on him to be the bread-winner and inferior to him in the ways he cared about. Even though I think he and Sky had an overall loving relationship before the lies started, I never got the feeling that he would be able to truthfully say that being married to her was his ideal life - not just because it happened after leaving Gray Matter, but that she wasn't the kind of wife he'd want to be married to if things hadn't worked out with Gretchen but he hadn't left the successful company. I think she was always second best to him.

Interesting. He did seem a bit full of himself when we see the flashback of them buying the house.

Actually, a shitload of stuff from the past was left unknown or ambiguous.

Why did Walt ditch Gretchen and leave Grey Matter? (I know it has been said in interviews, but never on the show)

Why did Mike leave the police force?

Who was Gus in Chile?

How did Walt and Skyler meet?

Why does Elliot have the ears of a professional wrestler?

On Mike, I think he may have had to leave because of that incident with the woman whose husband was abusive. He said he took him out and put a gun in his mouth and made him swear not to ouch her, then the husband killed her. I assume Mike was furious and went and did something to the husband.

On Mike, I think he may have had to leave because of that incident with the woman whose husband was abusive. He said he took him out and put a gun in his mouth and made him swear not to ouch her, then the husband killed her. I assume Mike was furious and went and did something to the husband.

You're probably right. To clarify, I didn't mean it was bad that we never learned the details of everyone's past, I just think it's interesting that they left so much of it vague and up for interpretation.

You're probably right. To clarify, I didn't mean it was bad that we never learned the details of everyone's past, I just think it's interesting that they left so much of it vague and up for interpretation.

There was a great interview with two of the writers for BB on Terry Gross' show on NPR this afternoon. They said they purposely left things for the audience to fill in the blanks. I think this was one fo BB's strengths. It allowed you participate - probably the reason I'm feeling so at sea right now. Walt was an evil man, but strangely, I miss him.

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/03/228813142/breaking-bad-writers-this-is-it-theres-no-more

There was a great interview with two of the writers for BB on Terry Gross' show on NPR this afternoon. They said they purposely left things for the audience to fill in the blanks. I think this was one fo BB's strengths. It allowed you participate - probably the reason I'm feeling so at sea right now. Walt was an evil man, but strangely, I miss him.

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/03/228813142/breaking-bad-writers-this-is-it-theres-no-more

Speaking of, I thought Walt's monologues about his wish to die fits great with the show itself. How they chose to end on top rather than churn out ten seasons, long after all the inspiration and brilliance is gone, "artificially alive, just marking time". As Walt said in Fly, "you want them to actually miss you".

I have to disagree here - I thought the story was very much about good and evil, and how the choices we make reflect that regardless of our intentions. No, Walter was neither inherently nor purely evil, but there quickly came a point where that was irrelevant because the evil he committed corrupted everything around him regardless of his intent.

True that. That he was so obviously going to bring down everyone who cared for him through his unintented consequences is probably the reason why I have had a hard time to care about the fact that some of his actions really were selfless and for others than himself.

That said, the finale really made him human again to me. I cried some really manly tears during the Holly scene. Considering the things he lost, I have a hard time seeing the end as him winning, but I'm not trying to convince anyone so don't bother telling me how he killed the WS etc.

Concerning the WS, I mainly consider them an avatar of the criminal world that we knew from the very start would come back and draw WW down with it. I don't mind them being successful in all their operations up until the end because the damage that they caused to WW and friends, is a consequence of Walt's decision to cook meth, not the actions of this important villian with an agency of his own. That's how I read it anyway.

Speaking of, I thought Walt's monologues about his wish to die fits great with the show itself. How they chose to end on top rather than churn out ten seasons, long after all the inspiration and brilliance is gone, "artificially alive, just marking time". As Walt said in Fly, "you want them to actually miss you".

On his video interview on Talking Bad, Bryan Cranston actually had an awesome quote that said something to that effect, but I'm drawing a blank on what it was. Anyway, I'd much rather be missing it than watching it go downhill after it's been on too long.

I'm starting a bit of a rewatch, now beginning with "Gray Matter". It's very strange watching Walt and Skylar acting like a "normal" couple. And even more bizarre seeing Walt and Elliot as friends (or at least friendly).

I did note Skylar mention that she was due to deliver in only 10 weeks, which implies that the end of season 2 is only two or three months away from Elliot's birthday party. I don't know if that timeline really makes sense.

Has it been discussed here (I went back 2 pages, I'm not trawling through 18) about the theory going around that Walt died in the car and everything else is actually him dreaming an end for himself? I don't buy it as VG says it isn't the case but it does actually work reasonably well and does address the issues so many have with how neatly Walt wraps things up.

Archived