[Spoilers] Breaking Bad - The whole thing felt kinda shady, y'know, morality-wise?

Bridgeburners

Gus being some ruthless general or criminal in Chile just doesn't jibe with me. In the flashback, Gus looks like a deer in the headlights who doesn't understand the ways of the cartel (he just came from Chile, so I'll give him that). But he also seems very eager to please, kind, and almost...innocent. And he's very emotional, seeing his reaction of Max's death. Bottom line: he seemed like a first-time entrant in 'the game'. Now he could've been a small timer or some legitimate executive in Chile, but I doubt he was the ruthless, hiding-in-plain-sight kind of guy he is in present day.

It would then make sense if Gus had become what he is in present day by building it up in the 20 years after his friend's death. He wanted revenge, but he was also ambitious, so he chose the patient route in accomplishing all his goals.

Talked about this before but I think the most logical answer is that Gustavo's father was someone high up in Pinochet regime.

He's really too young to have been someone important. And if he was low level how would the cartel know who he was.

This also explains his relative naivete in his early mexico days.

If his father was someone very important it explains pretty much all.

Talked about this before but I think the most logical answer is that Gustavo's father was someone high up in Pinochet regime.

He's really too young to have been someone important. And if he was low level how would the cartel know who he was.

That... makes perfect sense to me.

That was my impression. It doesn't have to be his "father" per se, but I got that he was simply connected to a powerful crime family. Basically like D'angelo Barksdale from The Wire (but without all those damn pesky morals to hold him back).

Gus being some ruthless general or criminal in Chile just doesn't jibe with me. In the flashback, Gus looks like a deer in the headlights who doesn't understand the ways of the cartel (he just came from Chile, so I'll give him that). But he also seems very eager to please, kind, and almost...innocent. And he's very emotional, seeing his reaction of Max's death. Bottom line: he seemed like a first-time entrant in 'the game'. Now he could've been a small timer or some legitimate executive in Chile, but I doubt he was the ruthless, hiding-in-plain-sight kind of guy he is in present day.

It would then make sense if Gus had become what he is in present day by building it up in the 20 years after his friend's death. He wanted revenge, but he was also ambitious, so he chose the patient route in accomplishing all his goals.

But he was "hiding in plain sight" at first with the cartel. He didn't want them to know who he was (they found out anyway, apparently) so the "deer in the headlights" thing could have been an act. The grief over his "hermano" was real though

I always wished we knew more about Gus's empire. We never see any of his mid-level guys - only enforces like Mike and Victor and dealers like the ones Walt killed. Granted, Mike was also a sort of trusted advisor, but surely there must have been some "managers" or "capos"

I like this... I like this a lot. We might further speculate that his father fell out of favour with the regime by 1986, prompting Gus to leave for Mexico.

Either way, I enjoy the ambiguity.

I like this... I like this a lot. We might further speculate that his father fell out of favour with the regime by 1986, prompting Gus to leave for Mexico.

Either way, I enjoy the ambiguity.

Except it doesn't answer why the cartel spared him. On the other hand, if his father/relative was still very connected (say, head of Intelligence or something) it might give the cartel enough reason to avoid making enemies by killing Gus

He may have left simply out of a desire to go his own way, a disgust with the regime his father served, for his partner, etc. He didn't have to be fleeing

But he was "hiding in plain sight" at first with the cartel. He didn't want them to know who he was (they found out anyway, apparently) so the "deer in the headlights" thing could have been an act. The grief over his "hermano" was real though

I always wished we knew more about Gus's empire. We never see any of his mid-level guys - only enforces like Mike and Victor and dealers like the ones Walt killed. Granted, Mike was also a sort of trusted advisor, but surely there must have been some "managers" or "capos"

I have to rewatch, but why does he need dealers in one city anyway? Was his job not to distribute? Why open himself to petty street shit when he's selling in bulk home and abroad?

But he also seems very eager to please, kind, and almost...innocent. And he's very emotional, seeing his reaction of Max's death.

Walt killed Mike, Gus, Hector and the ten witnesses (when he was at his most callous). Still lost his shit when Hank died. Still lost his shit when killing Jesse was first proposed.

Hector was,as far as we know, a life long Cartel member. How did he react when his "family" died? What would happen if someone put a gun to Mike's grand-daughter's head? He's killed a ton of people, he should be fine right?

As for being eager to please...well, he is trying to deal with a Cartel don and he gave off that smooth salesman vibe. He doesn't need to be the completely shut down Gus we see, he just needs to have done bad things (though I'm coming around to this "somebody's son-in-law" argument)

I have to rewatch, but why does he need dealers in one city anyway? Was his job not to distribute? Why open himself to petty street shit when he's selling in bulk home and abroad?

It was kinda weird when he said those two were his "trusted employees." Maybe they were simply under his "protection" in his territory but not part of his org per se? He had an interest in keeping street violence to a minimum. Or maybe he dealt on the street level in ABQ (it seemed to be his base of operations) but sold in bulk everywhere else? And what were his dealings with Declan, who obviously knew who Gus was? I want to know more!!

Yeah, I had wondered as many of y'all had whether we'd get more Gus backstory down the stretch, but alas.

The idea that he had a family connection to the Pinochet regime feels right to me too. It makes sense on several levels.

Also...not only him being too young to himself have been the important figure....assuming Gus was gay, it also would have made it less likely that he himself would have risen too high, would it not? I don't know much about Chile in that era, but I would assume, especially in a regime w/ a militarized personnae like Pinochet's, that it would have been unlikely to pull off.

He has a family iirc so he could be bi and slipping under the radar. But if he was sleeping with the unlucky chemist guy it must have started later. Because if it started before Gus sent him to college you have to shave another 4 or so years off the timeline for his rise (assuming anyone found out, not guaranteed at all).

Part of Gus' brilliance as a character are his ambiguous beginnings. It's always good to have a character like that in my opinion, one that just creates a frustrating level of fascination and a need to know more.

Why Saul is getting a prequel series instead of someone like Gus or Mike is mind boggling.

Part of Gus' brilliance as a character are his ambiguous beginnings. It's always good to have a character like that in my opinion, one that just creates a frustrating level of fascination and a need to know more.

Why Saul is getting a prequel series instead of someone like Gus or Mike is mind boggling.

We don't need to know anything more about Gus. We know all we need to. Same with Mike. Saul can have a more comedic show created around him without going back to formative moments that we've already gotten an effective look at . Also, the others actors may have moved on.

Archived