[Spoilers] Breaking Bad - The whole thing felt kinda shady, y'know, morality-wise?

Bridgeburners

He has a family iirc so he could be bi and slipping under the radar. But if he was sleeping with the unlucky chemist guy it must have started later. Because if it started before Gus sent him to college you have to shave another 4 or so years off the timeline for his rise (assuming anyone found out, not guaranteed at all).

He says he has a family, but we never see them. A lot of people theorize that Gus mentioning having a family was just him playing Walt, appealing to his incredible sense of familial duty and loyalty. When Walt goes to his house for dinner, we see children's toys strewn about on the floor, but when Jesse goes to Gus' for dinner, there are no signs of children or a family anywhere. Maybe it was Gus playing to Jesse's absence of family, or maybe it was just the natural state of his home when not putting on a show. Or maybe his wife cleaned up their kids toys, who knows. Considering how thorough and detail-oriented Gus is, it's not much of a stretch for me to believe that it was more of his "hiding in plain sight" motif.

Gus seems obsessively effeminate in his mannerisms at times, and is very neatly dressed. Certainly that doesn't point to any sexual orientation in any way, but it really struck me when Hector made the comment while peeing in the pool that Gus and Max "Like what they see" and then made a kissing motion with his lips in their direction.

Perhaps he's not gay at all, dresses very well, and his almost mechanical mannerisms are the result of a military-like discipline, but the vibe I got was that he was gay, and maybe that had something to do with him having to relocate to Mexico.

He says he has a family, but we never see them. A lot of people theorize that Gus mentioning having a family was just him playing Walt, appealing to his incredible sense of familial duty and loyalty. When Walt goes to his house for dinner, we see children's toys strewn about on the floor, but when Jesse goes to Gus' for dinner, there are no signs of children or a family anywhere

Kids can take a few days off. And this would be an pretty weak plan. Gus is a properous local businessman that has made a point of courting DEA favor and being in the public eye. Guess who has a DEA brother-in-law? Guess who can ask and easily get an answer? Fuck, Gus is probably on some charity board. It shouldn't be hard to find out the truth.

Gus seems obsessively effeminate in his mannerisms at times,

I...never got effeminate from Gus. There was a complete absence of masculine posturing true, but effeminate?

but it really struck me when Hector made the comment while peeing in the pool that Gus and Max "Like what they see" and then made a kissing motion with his lips in their direction.

Hector, the progressive ideal.

Perhaps he's not gay at all, dresses very well, and his almost mechanical mannerisms are the result of a military-like discipline, but the vibe I got was that he was gay, and maybe that had something to do with him having to relocate to Mexico.

It's absolutely possible.

Warren Ellis has an interesting take on the ending.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/warren-ellis-breaking-bad-heisenberg-theory.html

The reason it went so "neat & tidy" for Walt, with him accomplishing everything he wanted in the end, was because he was fully committed to being Heisenberg at that point, leaving Walt behind completely. His moment of going back to humanity and saving Jesse broke him out of that, he got hit by a stray bullet, and died.

No, it's just what I gathered from their relationship.

As I recall from the episode where Gus poisoned the leadership of the Mexican Mob, they said something to Gus about his boyfriend before flashing back to him getting shot in the head.

Everyone knows Walt's gay for Jesse.

Oh come on! Everyone knows Jesse is the non-gimp son Walt always wanted.

Maybe effeminate was the wrong word. Perhaps delicate or dainty would work better.

I think fastidious is the word you are thinking of....or maybe anal retentive.

I actually agree that Walt was not close to Gus. Sure, he killed him but I'm talking about actually running an empire. Going against Gus ended up being a huge mistake. If Walt just stayed a cook and quietly made his money while Gus handled the business, his family would be set right now.

Walt would not have been fine just cooking for Gus.Gus wanted to use Walt to teach his own people then get rid of Walt.What bothers me though is how quick Gus was to dismiss Walt's partner(Jesse) and want to kill him......wen Gus went thru the same thing with the kartel years ago when they killed his business partner and best friend.This is the same Jesse who he took to Mexico to cook and without Jesse his plan to kill the kartel would have never worked.He was a shrewd businessman...but to me the difference with him and Walt was that Gus had people to clean up messes....Walt didn't.I still think if Walt had to deal with the kartel he would use the ricin on them......but...could Gus have thought of killing those prisoners in 2 minutes like that...i think not.

Warren Ellis has an interesting take on the ending.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/warren-ellis-breaking-bad-heisenberg-theory.html

The reason it went so "neat & tidy" for Walt, with him accomplishing everything he wanted in the end, was because he was fully committed to being Heisenberg at that point, leaving Walt behind completely. His moment of going back to humanity and saving Jesse broke him out of that, he got hit by a stray bullet, and died.

Things probably could have been neater for Heisenberg earlier if he had been ruthless. If he had killed Pinkman instead of bothering with vacuum cleaners and shit he probably would have been much better off. Jesse was the sure one think Hank could use to wiggle out of his little hole. He might have gotten Walt anyway, but I find it hard to believe that he would have gotten as comprehensive a picture without Jesse. Of course, this is assuming that Hank doesn't just bite the bullet and tell the DEA or figure something new out. The man is a tenacious bastard.

Actually, a shitload of stuff from the past was left unknown or ambiguous.

Why did Walt ditch Gretchen and leave Grey Matter? (I know it has been said in interviews, but never on the show)

Why did Mike leave the police force?

Who was Gus in Chile?

How did Walt and Skyler meet?

Why does Elliot have the ears of a professional wrestler?

I thought Mike leaving the force was explained, wasn't it about the guy Mike didn't arrest killing his wife or something like that?

Elliott is a descendant of the Florents.

I thought Mike leaving the force was explained, wasn't it about the guy Mike didn't arrest killing his wife or something like that?

Yeah, I assumed that after the wife beating dude killed his wife, Mike just killed the guy.

Most has been covered, or at least heavily implied. Gus was obviously invovled with the Pinochet dictatorship (as per the year he fled Chile), Mike killed the wife beater, Sky was a waitress, etc.

And not every little thing for the past has to be explained. Many things are better left mysterious, and others are just uninteresting stories.

LOL

Why did Walt ditch Gretchen and leave Grey Matter? (I know it has been said in interviews, but never on the show)

Who was Gus in Chile?

How did Walt and Skyler meet?

Why did he leave grey matter ?

Archived