[Spoilers] Breaking Bad - The whole thing felt kinda shady, y'know, morality-wise?

Bridgeburners

I've been watching since season 1, episode 1 as well and that would have been a BETTER ending for me. Not the best ending ever perhaps, but better than we actually got.

A better finale is one that has a 50 minute dream sequence? Hmm, that would have been one of the worst endings of all time imo, even worse that Dexter's.

Anyway, like I said earlier the 'ending' in my view is the last three episodes. Ozymandias specifically is were we see Walt realize that he has lost everything, his family, his fortune, his 'freedom' in a sense since he became a wanted man. The last two episodes is him trying to get whatever he can of his money to his family. The final episode is sort of an epilogue like someone else has said earlier.

If you disregard everything that has happened this season before episode 16 then yes, Walt has won. But if you take everything into account then no, he has not. Only three episodes earlier he thought that he could live out the rest of his days with his loving family and $80m of drug money. In the end he did not get what he wanted, not even close.

Like Walt himself said, he did it for himself, for his pride. That's why people are saying that he won. He won as a drug lord. He failed as a father, as a husband, as a human being, but his quest was never about being a great human being, was it?

The point of the dream sequence ending was that it would be better than 50 minutes that feel just like a dream sequence, but aren't.

A better finale is one that has a 50 minute dream sequence? Hmm, that would have been one of the worst endings of all time imo, even worse that Dexter's.

Anyway, like I said earlier the 'ending' in my view is the last three episodes. Ozymandias specifically is were we see Walt realize that he has lost everything, his family, his fortune, his 'freedom' in a sense since he became a wanted man. The last two episodes is him trying to get whatever he can of his money to his family. The final episode is sort of an epilogue like someone else has said earlier.

If you disregard everything that has happened this season before episode 16 then yes, Walt has won. But if you take everything into account then no, he has not. Only three episodes earlier he thought that he could live out the rest of his days with his loving family and $80m of drug money. In the end he did not get what he wanted, not even close.

agree. the climax was not in the finale. shouldnt be to hard to accept/like this. the wire did it every season.

and any type of dream sequence ending would have been awful, and remote throw inducing

Like Walt himself said, he did it for himself, for his pride. That's why people are saying that he won. He won as a drug lord. He failed as a father, as a husband, as a human being, but his quest was never about being a great human being, was it?

The point of the dream sequence ending was that it would be better than 50 minutes that feel just like a dream sequence, but aren't.

I would prefer Walt becoming a lumberjack to any sort of dream sequence.

Down the road, Ozymandias will be the one that sticks, and it will be viewed as the best episode and actual finale of the show (Felina would be more of a spiritual finale). I already view Ozymandias as the finale, with the last 2 episodes as an epilogue where Walt succeeds in making the best of his terrible circumstances.

In the context of his circumstances, this was a clean sweep victory for Walt, but it pales in comparison to what he lost throughout the show (especially in Ozymandias).

:agree: Perfectly said.

The one complaint I have with this season is that Walt's "confession tape" incriminating Hank wasn't given more impact. It was a brilliant move and Hank realized that with the money Marie borrowed from the White's it would damn them in the eyes of the law. But then we cut to Hank picking up Jesse and Gomez somehow being in the loop (when before Hank had kept the whole thing to himself) and the tape is never really given much attention

I loved the ending. Walt got a couple things he wanted: revenge, money to his family, his name cleared of his brother in law's murder, and recognition in the form of infamy. I mean, when the cops get to the compound, and put together what the hell went down, Heizenburg is going to be one of the baddest motherfuckers ever.

In every other possible way, he lost. Bitter sweet endings are usually cool with me.

How about a sequel? 25 years later, Jessie, embittered by all he has lost and endured, and having received notice of his impending death by some form of fatal illness, needs glasses, has grown a goatee and shaved his head. Donning that hat, he assumes the title Heizenburg and gets back to doing that thing that he alone, left alive on this planet, knows how to do. Cause do you really want to live in a world without Coca Cola?

It'd probably be shit, but I'm genuinely wrecked that this one is over, and while I suspect "Better call Saul" will be gold in its own way, I don't think it'll scratch my Breaking Bad itch. Shitty deal. When shows are really done right, it hurts when they wind up. Much better feeling than that "well, at least that's finally over" most of us who stuck out Dexter were left feeling a week ago.

agree. the climax was not in the finale. shouldnt be to hard to accept/like this. the wire did it every season.

and any type of dream sequence ending would have been awful, and remote throw inducing

GoT also does it every season - Baelor, Blackwater, Rains of Castamere were all the penultimate episodes in their respective seasons.

And more than that, he died in the exact opposite way Hank did -- trying to weasel his way out of it, rather than accepting it like a man (a sentiment Hank seem to live by, as evidenced by his statements toward Walt about turning himself in).

I think Walt won overall.....he beat the WS...freed Jesse...destroyed blue meth.......killed lydia.....ensured that money was left for his kids....and to me his biggest victory was beating cancer....i mean not dying of cancer.and to top it all off he left a legacy....he will be a case study for law enforcement for years to come.

This was the perfect finale. The last two episodes have made for a fitting and emotional denouement to Walt's story. And there's nothing like revenge for getting back at people. I didn't have the slightest idea what Walt would do with the Gretchen and Elliot, and I completely believed his threat about the "hitmen". It's true that the ending was in some sense tidy, but then Walt is not one to leave loose ends in his plans.

A protagonist who becomes a villain presiding over an empire of lies and violence in the end loses everything, but in defeat destroys his enemies and tries to leave a legacy to his family.

That's a pretty fucking awesome story arc.

This is random, but I want a t-shirt that simply says "What kind of man goes to the DEA?"

Yes. Me too.

A protagonist who becomes a villain presiding over an empire of lies and violence in the end loses everything, but in defeat destroys his enemies and tries to leave a legacy to his family.

That's a pretty fucking awesome story arc.

DING DING DING DING :agree:

That's why I'm going to re watch the series at some point start to finish. I caught up to the show when s3 was airing, and since then I only occasionally watched episodes twice. Aside from Ozymandias and Crawl Space, I feel like the rest of the recent big moments could have had a bigger punch for me if I more recently watched the rest of the show. When you look at the big picture, a story like this would be infinitely better if watched at once (not consecutively, but you know a couple eps a day).

the finale was perfect to me.Ppl are compalining about the neatness of the finale but to me Walt has evolved with the way he did things.....from being scared and unprepared with crazy 8.......to just simply running down gus's guys to save jesse.....to a well thought out plan to dispose of Gus.....he started to pay more attention to detail...From his previous meetings with the WS he knew that they would all be in the room and he also knew that Jesse was a prisoner....driving alone from NH to NM gave him time to hash out his plan.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, for what this show was, the finale was perfect. It was Walts story coming to it's only logical conclusion.

People keep saying it was "neat and tidy"...well you've practically been told the ending in flash forwards and all that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, for what this show was, the finale was perfect. It was Walts story coming to it's only logical conclusion.

People keep saying it was "neat and tidy"...well you've practically been told the ending in flash forwards and all that.

Disclaimer: I found the ending episode very satisfying from a visceral point of view, but I did think it was too neat.

Re: your post - I don't think that's true at all. The realistic conclusion is Walt either getting caught before making it back to Albuquerque or getting shot by the Nazis without being able to set off his robomachine gun. I don't think we were told the ending in flash forwards either; we saw the gun in the trunk, certainly, but that's about it.

Disclaimer: I found the ending episode very satisfying from a visceral point of view, but I did think it was too neat.

Re: your post - I don't think that's true at all. The realistic conclusion is Walt either getting caught before making it back to Albuquerque or getting shot by the Nazis without being able to set off his robomachine gun. I don't think we were told the ending in flash forwards either; we saw the gun in the trunk, certainly, but that's about it.

Well how else did you think that a) this series could close, either him going to jail, or dying, it was pretty much 50/50 there, and b- after watching the flash forwards, did you think Walt would escape unharmed? I didn't think it'd be by his own gun, but I thought Jesse or the Nazis would have killed him for sure.

I mean this is just the logical conclusion. It was either jail or death based on the show as a whole, and specifically based on what we knew. I always leaned towards his death. I thought it was the only way for it to end. Now we can debate specifics, but in the broad sense, this was the only logical conclusion.

Archived