What was GRRM's reason for the Tyrion and Sansa marriage?

Audrey Arryn

The chips will fall far from where they currently stand after the dance and Tyrion will not be fighting on Dany's side. Sansa will divine her queenship from Tyrion's kingship, a kingship of her creation, this is what her internship is all for.

Ok, maybe you believe that, but it still looks very far-fetched to me. :dunno:

It could have been a lot worse for Sansa. Her wedding chapter could have concluded with the words:-

"Sansa bent to her task."

it could have been worse for jon

"after spending most of the afternoon agreeing terms jon bent to his task hungrily enjoying tormunds blood price"

The point of this marriage is something I want to put my foot on, but somehow constantly eludes me... I believe there are more than one reason for this marriage to actually have happened:

1. "Castamering" Starks. We all know Tywin's MO. With dead Bran and Rockon, presumably dead Arya, RW set in motion, Sansa is the last Stark that needed to be subjugated to Lannister's will. Also, it gives Lannisters claim over North and Riverlands...

2. Jon. I lost a friend arguing this one. Simply, plot-wise, GRRM somehow had to make space for Robb's will to happen and make future possibility for Jon to become KitN... Given that marriage wasn't consummated, Tyrion's previous marriage wasn't properly annulled, the forced nature of it, this marriage could be easily annulled, but for the time being, it did gave Jon some claim over North

3. Sansa understanding politics. Now, here I have to publicly apologize to my friend, brashcandy. We argued about whether marriage is because of Jon or Sansa, and she made this compelling argument about Sansa finally understood her status as heiress of the North, that people look at her and see only her claim. Also, IMO, it was interesting setting for her transformation from pawn to player. Needless to say, brash was right and I was wrong about this one.

I keep seeing this Stark on Stark idea, and for me it is complete nonsense, but I have to ask it, where in God's name you people find proofs for this "inevitable" battle?

Actually I want them to end up togheter, but never say this aloud here, the Sansa fan will kill you.

My dear friend, the reason why Sansa fans are against this idea is because she doesn't want to stay married... As for killing part, I solemnly swear, I am up to no good :)

Please point me to this thread :drool:

I'm sorry but this is kind of ridiculous. Nothing was going to save Lady if Cersei really wanted her dead, and Sansa going to Cersei didn't make anything happen with Ned that wasn't already going to happen. She was an 11-year-old girl who had been taught all her life to respect higher authority and to be loyal to whomever she was betrothed to. Did she learn some harsh lessons, yes. Do I think she has some northern gods curse hanging over her head, Jesus Christ, no.

:agree:

They were in the wilds for so long, we don't have concrete proof it hasn't already happened. Poor Satin.....

:lol:

its not all bad for satin if he places his ear next to where jons bum used to be he will hear the sea much the same way as if you place a seashell next to your ear :)

its not all bad for satin if he places his ear next to where jons bum used to be he will hear the sea much the same way as if you place a seashell next to your ear :)

Or maybe he can simply join them, the more the merrier. I have a feeling that those Jotin fans will likely kill us in our sleep. :lol:

It's simple given GRRM love of writing about characters with conflicting hearts desire.

For Tyrion, who has grown up wanting a beautiful woman to love him, he has all he could dream of in this marriage, a beautiful, young highborn maiden. But the reality it is a farce.

For Sansa, I think it opened her eyes to the fact that gallant comely knights of the songs coming to save the damsel were a myth. Sometimes your savior is an imp, a drunk fool or a scheming creepy father figure!

It's simple given GRRM love of writing about characters with conflicting hearts desire.

For Tyrion, who has grown up wanting a beautiful woman to love him, he has all he could dream of in this marriage, a beautiful, young highborn maiden. But the reality it is a farce.

For Sansa, I think it opened her eyes to the fact that gallant comely knights of the songs coming to save the damsel were a myth. Sometimes your savior is an imp, a drunk fool or a scheming creepy father figure!

^ This. :agree:

But I also stand by my original answer to the OP's question: it's a plot device. A kind-of necessary one.

There had to be a big connection between Tyrion and Sansa in the eyes of the world, in order for the Lannisters to automatically extend the regicide charge from Tyrion to Sansa. And if Sansa didn't stand accused of regicide alongside her husband, there would be no urgency to her needing to stay in hiding. She'd still be wanted... as an important hostage... but her entire life wouldn't be on the line. She'd have options other than to stay with Littlefinger, whether she wants to or not.

Sansa disappearing the night of Joffrey's murder makes her a suspect. The wedding is not necessary. Can only married people scheme together? Both Tyrion and Sansa hate Joffrey, Why wouldn't people think they planned it together when Sansa oh so conveniently escaped on the very night?

it could have been worse for jon

"after spending most of the afternoon agreeing terms jon bent to his task hungrily enjoying tormunds blood price"

I think that that's the point at which Satin would have learned one of the duties that's expected of the Lord Commander's squire.

To fuel endless internet debates?

Also, it makes her a convenient suspect in Joffrey's death and justifies her need to get the hell out of King's Landing now. Right into Creepyfinger's loving embrace.

To fuel endless internet debates?

Also, it makes her a convenient suspect in Joffrey's death and justifies her need to get the hell out of King's Landing now. Right into Creepyfinger's loving embrace.

In 2000 the traffic on the Westeros.org message boards was pretty light, I'd imagine, so Martin wrote this to increase the fan activity.

Sansa disappearing the night of Joffrey's murder makes her a suspect. The wedding is not necessary. Can only married people scheme together? Both Tyrion and Sansa hate Joffrey, Why wouldn't people think they planned it together when Sansa oh so conveniently escaped on the very night?

Because Sansa would have no reason to plot with Tyrion without the marriage. For all Sansa knows Tyrion has been in on the killings of her father, mother and brother. With their marriage, their fortunes have been locked together whether Sansa likes it or not. Especially if Tyrion took her maidenhead, which would ruin her chance of remarrying someone like Harry the Heir.

@op,

Because it was another way for GRRM to piss off Stark fans, and weaken the house in general. I think he enjoys humiliating/killing/denying vengeance for Starks.

I wrote the above mainly as a joke, but actually it is somewhat true. The wedding was another way to show the reader that House Stark was dead, and the Lannisters had won which is supposed to setup their resurgence in an immensely satisfying way; e.g, it was, in part, a literary device (like the RW) that gets the reader ready for rise/ultimate victory (read:survival, something other houses might not be able to boast at the end of the novel) of House Stark.

It was most likely to get Sansa out of King's Landing and into Littlefingers clutches.

As far as allowing Jon to be the heir... as much as I want to believe it, we don't really know about that yet.

I think the wedding of Sansa and Tyrion wasn't about Jon Snow or his possibility of being KITN, and it's supposed to be a plot development of her own. The wedding is more about her. It's Sansa growing and realizing her value as the heiress to Winterfell. It's about her growth. Robb could've had other reasons to put Jon Snow as his heir if that was solely the reason. Sansa is, after all, in Lannister hands. He didn't needed her wedding to disregard her claim. We can't possibly know that Jon will King, in fact, analyzing the end of ADWD, Sansa and Rickon are closer to claim the North than him. I'll abstain from that argument until WOW comes out.

Archived