New trilogy featuring Fitz and the Fool by Robin Hobb

pat5150

Why would you think he'd bond with a crow? Because of the cover? The first book had a big stag.

Both the U.S. And UK covers have a crow on them though. Or rather, the U.S one has the wing imagery on it. I tend to think the covers are at least in some way related to the book (especially after reading the blog post I linked). The UK cover last year had bees on, for example.

Yeah, I was thinking something similar.

Wasn't there some sort of poison or something in him from his captors that the Skill magic couldn't heal? I'm going to need to re-read before the next book comes out, but I seem to remember something like that. As long as it isn't Shun who does it :stunned:

Just had a look at the final chapter of Fool's Assassin.

Fool had been poisoned, but somehow he managed to create pockets within himself to contain the poison. One of Fitz's knife plunges had pierced one of these pockets, and the last we saw of him, the poison was racing through his body. Eek!

I'm nearing the end of my first read of The Farseer trilogy. My thoughts in spoiler tags:

Robin Hobb is a fantastic wordsmith, and she's done a fine job of breathing life into characters that could easily become sign posts in a generational fantasy such as this one, with nothing more to do than point the hero toward his next goal. The world is somewhat interesting, especially the Forged Ones, the Wit, and the White Prophets. My biggest criticisms are that there's too many lulls in Royal Assassin and Aassassin's Quest that slow the pacing, and characters that come across as evil like Regal are in fact evil. This isn't bad in and of itself; Ramsay Bolton is one of my favorite villains in ASOIAF, but what makes him work for me is that his actions are rooted in his upbringing and backstory. I didn't get that from Regal, though he did show a good bit of competence in Assassin's Quest. My criticisms are offset by her deft characterization and her ability to nail that special bond between a man and his canine companion.

Well, it's pretty obvious he's going to bond with something. And I guess the stag represents the Farseer sigil, which was on the cover of the very first Fitz book. On the cover of the second book there was a wolf. See where this is going?

That's very thin. He is going to bond an animal, I agree, and I am very curious to see what it will be, but I doubt it will be a crow or a raven.

I don't even think it will be anything avian. Wasn't there something in the earlier books, and I recall this vaguely, about some people not being fit to bond with birds and more likely to bond with other animals? He's always been connected to canines. On the other hand it's not going be another wolf or dog I think. Could be a dragon. But it could even be that the cover image is indeed indicative of the animal he bonds with, I just don't think there's any pattern anymore to the covers, unlike with the John Howe covers for the Farseer trilogy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the cover of the Dutch version of Fool's Quest ( click on the book cover, it will appear):

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/boeken-van-fitz-nar-2-geheimen-van-nar/9200000040540600/

It shows a golden dragon in the left hand corner, and the right hand corner has the letter "N". It stands for "Nar" , which is the translation for the Fool.

And this was the cover for the 1st one:

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/boeken-van-fitz-nar-1-moordenaar-van-nar/9200000025901373/

A bee in the left hand corner and the letter "B" in the right.

• 2 months later...

I'm really struggling to get through this. I loved the first two trilogies but this is such a slow burner, I'm finding it difficult to keep picking it up to read. Also, I'm only 1/3 of the way through it, but it basically feels like I'm waiting for Molly to die so Fitz can return to Buck.

I'm really struggling to get through this. I loved the first two trilogies but this is such a slow burner, I'm finding it difficult to keep picking it up to read. Also, I'm only 1/3 of the way through it, but it basically feels like I'm waiting for Molly to die so Fitz can return to Buck.

Mild spoilers I guess but nothing too bad:

[Spoiler]

Fitz is being really dense in this one. Really, really, dumb and it's getting ridiculous. It's by some way one of Hobbs less action packed books, I might even say the least. And we get a second POV, having the first 6 books all from the perspective of one guy it seems very odd to get another perspective. (A person I'm finding pretty hard to like.) I shall work on finishing it, so I can actually talk to someone about it.

[/Spoiler]

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/240932/fools-quest-by-robin-hobb/

If you hit the look inside link on that page you can read the first 140-odd pages for free. Be warned though, it cuts off mid-chapter, mid-sentence even, and pretty momentous things were going down at the time. Now I have to wait a month to find out what happens. :bang:

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/240932/fools-quest-by-robin-hobb/

If you hit the look inside link on that page you can read the first 140-odd pages for free. Be warned though, it cuts off mid-chapter, mid-sentence even, and pretty momentous things were going down at the time. Now I have to wait a month to find out what happens. :bang:

So much for getting any work done this morning.

Loved the first trilogy, loved the second. Since this thread started before "Fools Assassin" came out I will just mention it was awesome. So good to have everyone back together. Not to mention a new Farseer "Bee" thrown into the mix. I love Robin and Fitz is one of my favorite characters. Book 2 comes out next month and im so looking forward to it.

As someone who is very interested in seeing to what extent the Wit will feature in the remaining two Fitz books, I was very pleased to hear that:

Mild spoiler for book II:

[spoiler] Fitz will apparently "use the Wit on several occasions, and with a variety of animals" as per an advance review.[/spoiler]

Finished it, it's a slow book.

[Spoiler]

Really slow, although when a book tries to make that much time pass it is always difficult. And good lord Hobb beats you over the head with the 'son' thing.

Got to be honest I don't like Bee. I just haven't warmed to her. And fitz is still doing dumb things for the sake of the plot which go wrong every single time.

That said the bad guys when they finally properly turned up (in the last chapter!) seem nicely horrible.

[/Spoiler]

Finished it, it's a slow book.

[Spoiler]
Really slow, although when a book tries to make that much time pass it is always difficult. And good lord Hobb beats you over the head with the 'son' thing.

Got to be honest I don't like Bee. I just haven't warmed to her. And fitz is still doing dumb things for the sake of the plot which go wrong every single time.

That said the bad guys when they finally properly turned up (in the last chapter!) seem nicely horrible.
[/Spoiler]

Vague spoilers from a review of the next book (I've managed to stay away from the 'look inside' so far)
[spoiler] Bee apparently becomes much more palatable in the next book, as well as some of the new characters who were insufferable in this book (presumably Shun, and FitzVigilant if for some obscure reason he survived). And curiously, there are supposed to be more characters from the first trilogy returning.

Also, I didn't particularly like Bee (as in her personality, but I enjoy characters I don't like), but I did enjoy having another POV - particularly one who isn't all that affectionate towards Fitz. It's nice to see the world through a lens other than his for a change.
The bad guys seem pretty impressive yeah. Poor Fool, can't catch a break. At least he didn't have his back flayed this time
[/spoiler]

Archived