The Walking Dead: Season 4 - No Comic Spoilers!

Alia of the knife

Kid's a budding sociopath... Actually, all of the children seem to be budding sociopaths. I guess that's a side effect of seeing everyone you love turn into flesheating monsters.

Yeah, one of the things I like about this season is the idea of an entire generation of children being raised desensitized to death and their own moral perceptions of when to kill living people and in what situations. What will (even their very small) society be like when these kids are adults and what about the next generation after. In one of the previous episodes, I remember thinking of the phrase from the Wire about the crack babies's crack babies.

It looks like almost everyone who died at the vet center died from the illness, with the exception of a few walkers trapped at the back.

They had antibiotics there, wouldn't they have taken them?

I assume that the illness killed everyone at the vet center quickly and just how effective are the antibiotics going to be when they get back to the prison?

Can I reiterate that antibiotics don't work on viral infections eg flu? Secondary bacterial infections that cause pneumonia do respond to antibiotics but the speed and way in which the infected are dying suggests it is the virus. They need to find antivirals but the most realistic hope they have is quarantine and avoiding exposure. You could be sitting in an antibiotic making factory and it would be of no use to you if you had a viral infection. If their was a vaccine that would be a massive help to those who don't yet have the infection but in reality it's down to the infected's immune systems. Hershel is doing more good for them by managing their symtoms with a cold towel than the antibiotic gang are.

You may as well have the antibiotics though as it could come in handy for Cholera or bubonic plague or a nasty cut.

Can I reiterate that antibiotics don't work on viral infections eg flu? Secondary bacterial infections that cause pneumonia do respond to antibiotics but the speed and way in which the infected are dying suggests it is the virus. They need to find antivirals but the most realistic hope they have is quarantine and avoiding exposure. You could be sitting in an antibiotic making factory and it would be of no use to you if you had a viral infection. If their was a vaccine that would be a massive help to those who don't yet have the infection but in reality it's down to the infected's immune systems. Hershel is doing more good for them by managing their symtoms with a cold towel than the antibiotic gang are.

You may as well have the antibiotics though as it could come in handy for Cholera or bubonic plague or a nasty cut.

Wasn't it Herschel who said that the antibiotics would help with the symptoms and/or secondary infections? I happened to watch World War Z last night (don't bother guys). Anyway, they mentioned that the Spanish flu had killed 3% of the world population. That is huge. Bubonic plague and anthrax respond to antibiotics.

Stupid thought: why would undead people need food? Do they eat or just bite and tear and relish the act without actually eating.

I guess I'm in the minority of people who think rick is a complete hypocrite. He banished her for doing something he would and has done. Carl can kill someone in questionable circumstances but Carol can't? Come on. I will say that I think this will take a negative toll on the group. And damn, Daryl was lookin good getting his muscle on :P Edit: I hope she goes to the prison and faces tyrese and takes the girls. She should have faced Tyrese in the beginning. That was her mistake.

I agree completely and I saw your next post that was too long to quote about the hitchhiker with the orange backpack. You are correct. It was when Rick was returning to his home with the "Cleaner" guy from the first episode. He drove right past him then scooped up his backpack on the way back. That was the exact same as murder in my book.

I also felt the killings in the bar back in season 2 on the farm was pretty straight up murder. To me, it was the irony of the situation.

On one side you have Rick and Shane tag-teaming Hershel to let them stay....

Rick- We will contribute, we can help out, if you send us away you are killing us.

Shane- Let's just take the farm, we are stronger, we don't need to ask...

One guy in bar- We will contribute, we can help out, if you send us away you are killing us.

Other guy- Let's just take the farm, we are stronger, we don't need to ask...

Rick starts killing them.

I also admit to bias. I have never liked Rick from the first episode. He has always had that classic cop mentality. Do what I say not what I do.

My biggest hopes are... Darryl goes after Carol. They find new group. New group becomes spin-off that is in the works.

Carol and Darryl are my two favorite characters.

Just to also point out... Without Carol, who is going to be doing all the cooking and cleaning now?

That is why Carol has been my favorite character throughout the series. She is always doing the little things that add up to huge contributions.

She is always doing something useful, always. While everyone else is laying around the prison, Rick out being crazy, Glen and Maggie contaminating the towerhouse, Carol is hard at work.

Wasn't it Herschel who said that the antibiotics would help with the symptoms and/or secondary infections? I happened to watch World War Z last night (don't bother guys). Anyway, they mentioned that the Spanish flu had killed 3% of the world population. That is huge. Bubonic plague and anthrax respond to antibiotics.

Stupid thought: why would undead people need food? Do they eat or just bite and tear and relish the act without actually eating.

Bubonic plague and anthrax are bacterial infections so antibiotics will work wonders for them and it's worth having them. Spanish flu is a virus so the antibiotics won't do anything to cure the flu. Secondary infections like pneuomonia are good reasons for antibiotics if you show signs of having pneumonia. In this case they are dying way before secondary bacterial infections can move in. So the antibiotics are only going to help those who survive the virus but may pick up a bacterial infection as a consequence (which I guess is what will happen with Glen).

It's a bit like giving water to someone who is hungry - it'll put off dehydration but it's not going to solve the hunger.

Your second question could be that the zombie infection programs them to eat regardless of hunger. Or whatever is left of the brain does feel hunger so they try to eat, It seems picky of me not to be bothered by the impossibility of something that doesn't eat being able to walk around indefinitely but the antibiotics on Viral infecitons is a known fact whereas we are still awaiting results from studies on how the walking dead sustain movement.

I agree completely and I saw your next post that was too long to quote about the hitchhiker with the orange backpack. You are correct. It was when Rick was returning to his home with the "Cleaner" guy from the first episode. He drove right past him then scooped up his backpack on the way back. That was the exact same as murder in my book.

One guy in bar- We will contribute, we can help out, if you send us away you are killing us.

Other guy- Let's just take the farm, we are stronger, we don't need to ask...

Rick starts killing them.

I also admit to bias. I have never liked Rick from the first episode. He has always had that classic cop mentality. Do what I say not what I do.

They are similar events but there is a massive difference. Rick didn't know the guy on the road or the guys in the bar. Carol knew both the people she killed. If Rick had shot Tyreese and Merle why they were having breakfast in the prison because the thought they were a threat that would be more similar. Plus the guys in the bar were revealed to be part of an unpleasant gang and the way that scene was panning out I think it was a case of Rick had to shoot first.

It's still a morally grey area but from the last episode I think Rick was mainly at fault for making the decision himself. He should have let the community decide what to do with her.

Bubonic plague and anthrax are bacterial infections so antibiotics will work wonders for them and it's worth having them. Spanish flu is a virus so the antibiotics won't do anything to cure the flu. Secondary infections like pneuomonia are good reasons for antibiotics if you show signs of having pneumonia. In this case they are dying way before secondary bacterial infections can move in. So the antibiotics are only going to help those who survive the virus but may pick up a bacterial infection as a consequence (which I guess is what will happen with Glen).

It's a bit like giving water to someone who is hungry - it'll put off dehydration but it's not going to solve the hunger.

Your second question could be that the zombie infection programs them to eat regardless of hunger. Or whatever is left of the brain does feel hunger so they try to eat, It seems picky of me not to be bothered by the impossibility of something that doesn't eat being able to walk around indefinitely but the antibiotics on Viral infecitons is a known fact whereas we are still awaiting results from studies on how the walking dead sustain movement.

I understand the antibiotic issue. It's still a good idea for them to have them available and odd that they haven't up to this point, considering all the skin infections and other stuff they may have been getting from living in filth while suffering from injuries.

Regarding the eating. It might be an echo from the times they were alive. It's interesting that they don't eat each other.

The antibiotic thing bothers me, but it's something so commonly done in books and shows. Always on the look out for antibiotics even though I know the writers have to know that antibiotics aren't the end-all cure to everything, especially with viruses. I've come to accept that it's laziness, not wanting to do the research about secondary viruses or anti-virals or just not wanting to get into the medical jargon, or else it's just assuming the audience doesn't care about it or is ignorant on the topic. It still irks me that we have scenes where T-Bob the medic is telling them to only look for antibiotics, when they are surrounded by tons of meds that could definitely prove useful. There's no way there was no anti-viral meds in a vet school, or even no meds to help with the symptoms of the illness. It was maddening to me that they weren't spending any time looking for extra stuff, especially knowing they likely couldn't return to the college for quite a while.

I understand the antibiotic issue. It's still a good idea for them to have them available and odd that they haven't up to this point, considering all the skin infections and other stuff they may have been getting from living in filth while suffering from injuries.

Regarding the eating. It might be an echo from the times they were alive. It's interesting that they don't eat each other.

Most definitely. Antibiotics are like gold in their world. But Dr Pepper is also right in that there were probably more immediately useful things they could have taken.

The antibiotic thing bothers me, but it's something so commonly done in books and shows. Always on the look out for antibiotics even though I know the writers have to know that antibiotics aren't the end-all cure to everything, especially with viruses. I've come to accept that it's laziness, not wanting to do the research about secondary viruses or anti-virals or just not wanting to get into the medical jargon, or else it's just assuming the audience doesn't care about it or is ignorant on the topic. It still irks me that we have scenes where T-Bob the medic is telling them to only look for antibiotics, when they are surrounded by tons of meds that could definitely prove useful. There's no way there was no anti-viral meds in a vet school, or even no meds to help with the symptoms of the illness. It was maddening to me that they weren't spending any time looking for extra stuff, especially knowing they likely couldn't return to the college for quite a while.

It bugs me as it becomes a self-perpetuating myth in that showrunners stick with it because that's what the general public think and the general public thinks it because it happens on tv/film all the time. Sometimes I think TV writers would still be convincing the world that it is flat if TV had existed early enough.

I guess I have to try and live with the fact that in entertainment antibiotics treat viruses, noise exists in space and that people fall unconscious with a single blow and always wake up again (along with many others I'm sure). I guess it's hell for military personnel to watch anything involving soldiers too.

Google: Carol and Merle deleted scene.

One of the best scenes of the series, can't believe they cut it.

Is this where she threatens to slit Meryl's throat?

I think Daryl is going to find Carols trail and figure out what happened. What I don't know is if he will be bothered by what Carol did more than what Rick decided to do with Carol.

And thank you for bringing up the Rick telling Hershel kicking them out would be murder. I forgot about that and now Rick has made the choice that Hershel didn't. Oh the irony.

Is this where she threatens to slit Meryl's throat?

I think Daryl is going to find Carols trail and figure out what happened. What I don't know is if he will be bothered by what Carol did more than what Rick decided to do with Carol.

And thank you for bringing up the Rick telling Hershel kicking them out would be murder. I forgot about that and now Rick has made the choice that Hershel didn't. Oh the irony.

It's tricky - I'd say Daryl is pretty self-righteous himself these days but I don't think he'd have the heart to exile Carol. He'd just be a bit distant with her for a while. He kept forgiving his brother after all.

Well I guess Rick not killing Carol is an improvement for him. Small steps and all.

I'm not sure that's plausible. Carol got in a car and drove off. It's not like she walked off through the woods where she could be tracked.

There's only so many places she'd look to go too. I don't find that unrealistic.

I guess she has to stick to roads and can't go in the direction of that zombie mega-herd. I kind of expect that to be a problem that comes to them eventually. Unless they just forget about it. I wonder if you could divert a zombie horde with a placed obstacle?

We would hope, but it would suck to climb up a hill only to be met by 7,500 walkers and have to run right back down.

it's not going to happen but it would be hilarious if Carol bumps into team Daryl and comes back with them. It could be a bit awkard explaining the situation with Tyreese around though.

Tyreese needs to go anyways. You wanna talk about 'for the good of the group', that guy's no good for anyone. I knew I didn't like him last season when he was firing that rifle and cycling the bolt with his right hand (he shoots lefty).

Archived