Why would Harry the heir marry a bastard?

RK Rajagopal

Has Alayne been legitimized? I don't think she is, as such as her legal status as a bastard means she is hear to precisely nothing other than whatever sums het father decides to settle upon her. The real plan is for Littlefinger to have a big reveal about her status as the Lady of Winterfell (perhaps he will tell Harry before hand, I don't know). However, the plan has a huge flaw: When the existence of Rickon and Bran Stark is revealed, she ill go back to being the heiress to nothing.

The Riverlands goes to whoever the Crown gives it to, the Targs and Baratheons choose to give it to the Tullys but its not as if they were the rulers before that.

Precisely and they've given it to Baelish. If he has an heir it doesn't return to the crown's possession upon his death.

Has Alayne been legitimized? I don't think she is, as such as her legal status as a bastard means she is hear to precisely nothing other than whatever sums het father decides to settle upon her. The real plan is for Littlefinger to have a big reveal about her status as the Lady of Winterfell (perhaps he will tell Harry before hand, I don't know). However, the plan has a huge flaw: When the existence of Rickon and Bran Stark is revealed, she ill go back to being the heiress to nothing.

At which point, the Vale is connected to Winterfell by marriage. That's not a flaw.

Harry would marry a bastard for the same reason other noblemen throughout history have done so: money!

Connections are a secondary consideration, but it usually comes down to gold. Noble does not always mean wealthy. Cash flow can be a huge problem for aristocrats. That's part of the reason arranged marriages held on so much longer in the upper classes than they did in the lower ones.

• 2 weeks later...

LF spent a lot of time to explain how the seat of Arryn will be succeeded when Sweetrobin dies and pointed why Harry the Heir is the Heir. But he left it ambiguous what will happen to the seat of House Arryn if (more like when) both Sweetrobin and Harry the Heir die.

In that case, the crown will decide the matter because there will probably be several distant claims including the Gulltown Arryns who had the sense to marry merchants. LF is practically a merchant loved in both Gulltown and KL. So, my take is that LF is planning to claim the Vale of Arryn in his own name by the decree of the king and also he plans to kill/bribe all the Vale lords who are likely to object his overlordship in the Vale. He implied that to Sansa by saying that a lot of things might happen "within a year" that he bought.

I also think that LF never actually planned to give Sansa to anyone. When the time is ripe, he means to marry Sansa as a Stark himself and defy the IT. Since Sansa’s claim to Winterfell and Riverlands trample fArya’s in any case, LF is hoping to have a strong hold in the Vale, North and Riverlands at that point. He thinks that he can win the willing support of the North and the Vale by marrying a willing/happy Sansa and promising justice for the Lannisters, Boltons and Freys.

However, we know certain things that LF does not know and ruin his plans, such as the survival of the Stark boys, unwillingness of Sansa, emergence of dragons, Varys taking an active hand in everything, unpredictability of those hedge knights, even the Others ffs etc. So, I think LF will slowly see that his luck is running out and his plans are failing, which will drive him into desperation.

LF describes the wedding to Sansa, including her casting aside her false identity, wearing a cloak with wolves, claiming her right to Winterfell. Combine that with a crapload of money and Harry the Heir is getting a very, very good deal out of the process. The better question, given what each party is bringing to the table, is why Sansa would marry Harry.

I also think that LF never actually planned to give Sansa to anyone. When the time is ripe, he means to marry Sansa as a Stark himself and defy the IT. Since Sansa’s claim to Winterfell and Riverlands trample fArya’s in any case, LF is hoping to have a strong hold in the Vale, North and Riverlands at that point. He thinks that he can win the willing support of the North and the Vale by marrying a willing/happy Sansa and promising justice for the Lannisters, Boltons and Freys.

I don't know about this. It seems to go against, well, everything we know about Littlefinger's character.

Personally, I think he's planning to do the exact opposite of what you're suggesting: He'll marry Harry to Sansa and then go to Harrenhal while Harry goes North to wage war against the Boltons. If Harry wins, he'll remember who put him there. If he loses, Littlefinger looks completely innocent. In fact, it'll probably look like the Vale Lords arranged Robert's death in order to oust LF as Lord Protector so they could finally take up arms against the Throne, like they've wanted in the beginning. Either way his hands appear to be totally clean.

LF describes the wedding to Sansa, including her casting aside her false identity, wearing a cloak with wolves, claiming her right to Winterfell. Combine that with a crapload of money and Harry the Heir is getting a very, very good deal out of the process. The better question, given what each party is bringing to the table, is why Sansa would marry Harry.

The Vale is bringing thousands of soldiers to the table, bit more valuable than a very contested claim and Sansa's virginity.

The Vale is bringing thousands of soldiers to the table, bit more valuable than a very contested claim and Sansa's virginity.

The claim itself is contested and would probably come down to arms, but in a purely legal sense, there is no way that Arya can inherit if Sansa is alive.

Harry isn't Lord of the Vale. He brings nothing to the table unless Robert dies.

I would imagine that Harry's options are to marry the beautiful daughter of the Lord Protector for a massive sum of money or see the family that have raised him from a child in financial ruin. It's pretty clear that Anya Waynwood has no love for Littlefinger so he must have a LOT of leverage over her to get her to agree to the match in the first place.

In the show, not the books.

Thanks I've seen the show recently and I'm rereading the books but I'm only on the second one. So why have it in the show if they aren't going to find out anyways? I'm sure it's gonna come out eventually, mabe even whoever is caring for Harry knows and that's why the match was agreed upon.

Thanks I've seen the show recently and I'm rereading the books but I'm only on the second one. So why have it in the show if they aren't going to find out anyways? I'm sure it's gonna come out eventually, mabe even whoever is caring for Harry knows and that's why the match was agreed upon.

I think there are a lot of things from Feast and Dance that the showrunners will cut or trim to replace with things they deem more intriguing. I myself am kinda curious to see what sort of changes they make, there were some awfully ponderous endeavors in the last two books IMO. Both were still great tho :cool4:

Littlefinger will not marry Sansa. IMO he will restrain himself enough cuz his plans mandate it. He thinks of Sansa as a weird mesh between childhood love reborn, the offspring of the man who married his love, and his daughter. He is too dedicated to his plans to allow his feelings for Sansa to get in the way. Afterall, Cat did favor Brandon over him and Sansa is Ned's daughter too. He seems confused about how he cares about her. Does he love her like he loved Cat? Does he love her like the daughter he and Cat never had? Does he just want someone to respect him? Does he love her as a student? IMO it is a weird mixture of all of these feelings but one thing is for sure:

I think he will not marry her or abuse her because he wants to leave a legacy. He is giving Sansa everything that he never had:

- A dashing young lord to marry

- Being saved by Jester like that one song

- being rich and going from baseborn to highborn.

- Lands and vassels (the riverlands sure beats the Drearfort)

- political power from an early age

He wanted these things when he was a child and he has achived them gradually. He is now dumping them on Sansa because he wished someone did that to him when he was her age. He wanted to be betrothed to the hot lady. He wanted a huge castle and army. He wanted to be a knight in shining armor just like in the songs.

He also has so much influence now but once he is gone, the name Baelish will pass into oblivion. He is training Sansa as the daughter he never had to carry out his scheming after he is gone.

He may want to marry her but i doubt he will.

I don't know about this. It seems to go against, well, everything we know about Littlefinger's character.

Personally, I think he's planning to do the exact opposite of what you're suggesting: He'll marry Harry to Sansa and then go to Harrenhal while Harry goes North to wage war against the Boltons. If Harry wins, he'll remember who put him there. If he loses, Littlefinger looks completely innocent. In fact, it'll probably look like the Vale Lords arranged Robert's death in order to oust LF as Lord Protector so they could finally take up arms against the Throne, like they've wanted in the beginning. Either way his hands appear to be totally clean.

Why does everyone seem to forget that Sansa can't marry anybody?

First of all, bringing her out in the Stark maiden cloak will stop the wedding right as it's starting. Harry agreed to marry Lord Baelish's daughter, not someone wanted by the crown for regicide.

Second, she's married to Tyrion. Until or unless she gets an annulment, or has proof that her husband is dead, she cannot be legally wed to another man.

Harry is marrying alayne stone, not to mention that the vale right now is the 2nd atrongest kingdom and sansa is t the heir to anything unless several of her relatives die.

Sansa is supposed to seduce him into marrying her for love/lust, so part of it would be Harry being manipulated into defying social conventions for a girl, and Littlefinger having wealth and power of his own and no heirs besides "Alayne" to inherit it might help make her seem more desirable.

Archived