What's for Dinner #4 - Is it tasty? Is it crunchable?

Tears of Lys

Haha! I'm back after a distressing time of being unable to update my password, and Ran having to save me by sending me a temporary password through email. So, I'm celebrating by eating a spinach salad with cut pieces of prime rib grilling steak, cucumber, strawberries, orange pepper, gouda cheese, almond slivers and balsamic vinaigrette with a homemade lemonade tinged with a touch of orange blossom water to drink. It's delicious.

Got Kohlrabi in our CSA, and I found a recipe for Whitefish with Corn, Kohlrabi and Tomato Compote. So the CSA is working to get me to try new recipes, we'll see how it turns out.

Not dinner, strictly speaking: I decided to learn how to sharpen my own knives. After some research and discussion I ended up picking up a DuoSharp with a Fine/Extra Fine benchstone. I'm practicing with some of my grandmother's old knives, which are unusably dull. I have put a pretty wicked edge on one and a decent edge on another. This is coooooooooooooooooooool.

The garden is doing awesome this year.

Last night we had fresh green beans, fried squash, baked zucchini and cauliflower, new potatoes (that are actually already the size of baking potatoes) with gravy, and raw tomatoes and cucumbers. Yum :D

I boiled up 2 cups of rice. Dinner!

Very filling! I haven't felt this full in a long time.

And very cheap. Possibly the perfect solution to my low-income food situation. Only thing is that cleanup was rather taxing. I'd consider the instant rice or boil-in-the-bag stuff, but to my recollection that's a bit more expensive, which would defeat the purpose.

If I can solve the clean up time issue, might be I'll just get a big jar and fill it with rice, and just eat that all the time. With some veggies and meat now and then too, of course, so I don't die of malnutrition, which would I guess be a drawback.

Archived