Exercise and Fitness - CitiusER! AltiusER! FortiusER! ;)

baxus

Thanks everybody :thumbsup:

Fuck that sounds painful! Heal up fast.

At least the doctors gave me a highly insufficient amount of pain medication. :bang: 20 pills, take 1-2 every 6 hours... and followup in a week. If I'm taking the max dose that's 2.5 days worth of pain management, so rationing netted me a total of 4 hours sleep last night. Horrible people, doctors.

I've been a fat shite for the last month - between taking a break from serious training to give myself a chance to recover from various niggles and tweaks and all my friends being back home for a wedding, I've done no exercise and eaten/drunk shitloads.

As a result, I've put 4kg back on. Grumble.

Still, new month, fresh start. Exercise and healthy eating and all that fun stuff.

And have you recovered from your niggles? In this last week or so I've started getting shin splints again, not too badly though. I can only really feel it after a run. I've also managed to drop below 80kg recently, which is pretty awesome.

I'd really like to crack 10k before I head back to Uni though, and I think it's technically possible. I ran for 40 minutes yesterday, which went pretty well despite the tiredness and hangover. 6:08/km and ~6.5km.

Exercise I will do. Healthy eating and drinking is my Everest

I'll find out once I start training hard again!

Hopefully yes though - I'd tweaked my shoulder in the first 26km race and subsequently rowed another 28km race the following weekend, which did me no favours at all. As it wasn't a major injury, I'm hoping that a month or so of inactivity will have healed it up. I'd also been playing one sport or another pretty seriously non-stop since August 2012 and captaining two different teams over the last year, so it was really nice to just...relax. Not worry about organising a team or being available to play or anything like that.

Looking to log some serious hours in the gym in the near future though - been ages since I've lifted properly. Predicting absolutely terrible numbers.

How long til you go back to uni? 3 weeks? A 3km increase in that time seems feasible - good luck!

First of the month, which means increased weights! I am going to be sore tomorrow. Still doing the 5/5 on the weight machine, but am up to the "heavy" setting on the lower body (at this pace will max out the leg extension (100lbs) in 3 months.

Butterfly: 30lbs (each arm)

Bench Press: 130

Lat pull down: 70

Ab Crunch: 90

Leg extension: 85

Leg Curl: 60 (each leg)

side Bend: 60

Arm Curl: 60

Shoulder Shrug: 80

Just finished up a 22 mile run to cap off my first ever 70 mile week, which also put me over the top of 200 miles in a month for the first time, at 206 with a week to go! Legs tired, spirit enthused.

wow! nice work!

Wow. Nice job OAR. :cheers:

Ran my second 5k today. Not an official one, got a similar time/km as before but over more hills and distance.

I've got a 12kg kettlebell, trying to make myself look less puny. I'm really unused to ''lifting'' so any recommendations regarding reps or weight or whatever are more than welcome.

What are you looking to achieve with it?

Hey everyone! I havent been on this thread in a while (since April), but as of Monday I finally started getting back in shape/eating healthy. There a local gym that offered a 30 day trial of their personal training and I decided to try it out. It's hard but I'm feeling good about finally gaining some control and getting healthy again (for good, this time).

Nice to have you back :grouphug:

Damn, I finally get my ass on the floor to start working on my core... and today I take a tumble on my bike ride to work - breaking two bones around my eye. I was coming off of a wooden bridge that is perpendicular with the bike path so that I have to start my turn before I'm off the bridge. Well it rained early this morning and the bridge was still wet - my front tire hit the mostly dry concrete as I'm beginning my turn and my back tire is still on the slippery bridge. My angular momentum pulled that back tire out from under me and I was straight on my side with my face on the concrete. My sunglasses also caused a wicked gash in my eyelid that was just gushing blood.

Now I will not be working out for the foreseeable future, but I can't chew at all right now (even loaded up on percoset) so hopefully my liquid diet will help me maintain my weight until I can get back to it. What a shitty day.

OUCH! hope you heal quickly!

Hope you are getting better, ReG. That sounded brutal. Arsehole doctors

OUCH! hope you heal quickly!

Thanks! I definitely feel much better than I did Wednesday, but I've had zero desire to do anything fun this holiday weekend, and ended up canceling all of my plans.

It's still way too painful for me to think about getting back on my bike any time soon. Although, when I do, I'm going big time geeky and will be wearing a MTN bike helmet around town. This is the one I've ordered and had I been wearing it, it would have protected my face. I would have still had all of my other injuries (wrists, knuckles, knee, shoulder) but those are all minor enough that I would have even continued on to work, and not missed out on the next 3-6 weeks of riding.

So my current struggle is the fact that my personal trainer made me promise not to weigh myself (since it becomes a huge obsession). Instead I've been casually measuring myself and and happy to see some results without the ups and downs of weight fluctuations.

Nice helmet. I'm always unsure about full headed ones. On the one hand, they look cooler and protect more of your face. On the other, I imagine they're probably really hot after a bit, and they make drinking on the move a real pain (although I imagine a camelbak could fit).

I am a bit worried about the heat issue - I wish I had bought one last year because last year's model has 14 instead of 8 vent, and weighed 3/4lb. less. The only one I could find on ebay was $300 more than this year's model, used :stunned:

I hadn't thought about difficulty drinking with it... I'll figure out something.

I started training today for my first ever half-marathon. I started training for it last week, and I've been running 2.5-3 miles every other day. I'm not sure when I'm going to jump to 4 miles, but being that the race is in 47 days, I think I'll do that next week. It's in Atlantic City, which is apparently one of the flatter marathons that you can do. Suggestions?

I started training today for my first ever half-marathon. I started training for it last week, and I've been running 2.5-3 miles every other day. I'm not sure when I'm going to jump to 4 miles, but being that the race is in 47 days, I think I'll do that next week. It's in Atlantic City, which is apparently one of the flatter marathons that you can do. Suggestions?

I don't know what your fitness level is outside of 2.5-3 miles every other day, or what's the longest single run you've ever done in the past, but 47 days to a half marathon is a tall order. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do it, but definitely be careful and calibrate your expectations accordingly.

I work out every day. I've been switching between P90x and Insanity, so my endurance is there. It's the whole running thing that I'm worried about :laugh: , and when and how much I should increase my distances in warming up.

I work out every day. I've been switching between P90x and Insanity, so my endurance is there. It's the whole running thing that I'm worried about :laugh: , and when and how much I should increase my distances in warming up.

I think you should keep doing every other day, pick one day to be your long run, and increase it by a mile every week, maybe at the end jump from 8 in week 5 to 10 in week 6. Keep doing every other day and maybe after a couple of weeks bump up the mid week runs to 4 miles. I think that should cautious enough that you won't get hurt from doing too much mileage too soon.

Hey all - I haven't been in these threads in ages, but I've been getting back into the gym a bit lately and have a question.

Quick background:

Whenever I've gone in and out of being in a lifting routine, I've always found that I get much more sore after the first time lifting any particular body part even if I don't dive back in with an intense first workout. For example, I did a "chest and tri's" day like four days ago and am still pretty sore. I think this is pretty normal though, and soreness from lifting is almost a "good" pain to me.

But when it comes to legs, I get this x1000. Even if I try to take it relatively easy that first time lifting legs again, I tend to get "I can barely walk" levels of soreness. Anyone else deal with this and have any suggestions? Anyone know why this would even be? Could it simply be that leg muscles are larger and prone to greater soreness?

It's just the way it is my friend. Leg doms are the worst, you just have to suck it up and wait for it to stop happening :)

:o Expensive helmet, I remember reading an article quite a while back about the benefits of expensive helmets. Can't remember if cost made a difference though :laugh: More vents will help, and if you think about it the back of the helmet should help trap breezes.

Well, like I said a camelbak should be good. Bottle of water would be stupid to try though. Not that you need any prompts on bike safety :worried: Get well soon, anyway

That's why I went with this year's model :lol:

I went bouldering on Sunday morning, and decided I should do some core work and some triceps to balance out all the pulling action. I long ago adopted a friend's "8 minute abs" program, where you pick eight ab exercises and go full bore on them for 45 seconds apiece and rest for 15 seconds; I modified it to add 10 push-ups between each ab set. Triceps and abs are killing me today :lol:

@Trisk

Try doing some non-strenuous leg exercise the following day, it should help a bit with the DOMS. I used to cycle slowly to work (6.5km, flat) and even just doing that bit the day after a heavy session would help. Something like that or a bit of yoga or some easy bodyweight stuff will do!

I think you should keep doing every other day, pick one day to be your long run, and increase it by a mile every week, maybe at the end jump from 8 in week 5 to 10 in week 6. Keep doing every other day and maybe after a couple of weeks bump up the mid week runs to 4 miles. I think that should cautious enough that you won't get hurt from doing too much mileage too soon.

Thanks for your advice.

@Trisk

Try doing some non-strenuous leg exercise the following day, it should help a bit with the DOMS. I used to cycle slowly to work (6.5km, flat) and even just doing that bit the day after a heavy session would help. Something like that or a bit of yoga or some easy bodyweight stuff will do!

Yup. Any kind of active recovery will help Trisk.

That's sort of what I feared.

I think the worst I ever had it was when I hadn't lifted legs in like a year and on the first day back went with some deep lunges with pretty heavy weights in hand. I was limping for like a week after. But even when I've tried a little less like just hitting the quad and calf machines, I still get it really bad after the dreaded first day back.

I suppose the real moral of the story is not to get out of the lifting routine in the first place.

Make sure you are also cooling down well and stretching/foam rollers to keep everything loose - definitely helped with my back and hammies a lot.

Got a last minute invite to a British level heavyweight comp in 2 weeks. I am so not prepared :lol:

Top 5 qualify for a big comp in the US next year though so I feel obligated to do it!

That's pretty cool mate. Good luck.

The rugby season proper starts this weekend which I'm really looking forward to. We've had a couple of decent wins in preseason games but it'll be good to just go out and play a proper game rather than rotating on and off in a game were the result doesn't really matter. I'm also starting to feel fairly good about how we might do in the league this year after having an opposed training session against a local side in the league above and it going really well.

Archived