Exercise and Fitness - CitiusER! AltiusER! FortiusER! ;)

baxus

Finally, after a 12 month hiatus, I am joining a gym! So excited and pumped, best thing about it is that it's a 24/7 gym so I can go whenever I want, looking forward to 2 am leg sessions :) Also I'm gonna start eating a whole lot more and lay off the protein shakes for the first couple of months, I've never been a huge fan and I'd rather get my protein from natural food sources. Any recommendations for supplements other than protein/creatine that can help with muscle recovery?

Milk's pretty high in casein, which can help reduce muscular soreness. I tend to combine the two and have my protein supplements with milk rather than water. Tastes better and MUSCLE MILKSHAKE RARGH etc.

Congratulations Inigma and Lany!

Had our final training session before our big races last night. A photographer from the local paper came down as well, so there's going to be pictures of me (115kg) in skintight lycra plastered across the local rag. Joy. Still, publicity is publicity, right?

Also, not sure if this is the done thing on here (happy to delete if it's not), but I mainly took up rowing in order to complete these two races for charity. I've enjoyed it massively, but it's been a pretty huge effort (I track all my exercise and worked out that I've spent just over 200 hours training and rowed over 500km in the last 4 months...) so if any of you guys want to find out more/donate then we've got a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Optimusrowingchallenge

Karate fine tuning time: Had such a great class last night. working on being invasive into another person's space. Kind of hard for me since I like my personal space and hate when others come into it. But I worked on a new one-step last night that was very invasive, very badass and very quick. Felt pretty good too. Now I just need to get over that in my jujitsu and free sparring....neither of which work well at a distance ;)

I know everything I need to know to get permission to test for brown belt, I just need to work on showing mastery of them. (more aggressive, more assertive, more confident---dominating)

(but last year, I couldn't even spar and was totally afraid of getting even close to people in karate, for fear I would hurt them. It is amazing how far I have come in such a short time)

A bit late, but congrats Inigma and Lany!

Until yesterday, I hadn't done deadlifts in about 6 weeks with ball hockey season winding down/playoffs ramping up now, work, world cup among other things. I have no idea how, but I obliterated my old PR (now at 405). Could all of that back and forth action in hockey have benefited my lift that much?

Shit ton of Cleans and Jerks today. My hip flexors and Psoas is actually sore. Must have done something right.

Did a bunch of deadlifts the other day, and was puking between sets. Thought i was fucking rocking that shit.

Turns out I had the Norovirus. Lame.

I did 2 erging sessions in the last two days.

On Wednesday I couldn't finish all 3 sets of 15 minutes. It was way too hot and humid for me but I did manage 2 sets, didn't even start the third.

Yesterday's session was much more successful, with my average times not being at the desired level yet, but still constantly improving.

We didn't do the leg day, but erging and a squatting left their mark on my legs :D

I couldn't go back to the boxing gym but in the morning before work I'm on the treadmill at home. I'm doing between two and three miles and at night I do the Herschel Walker workout and do push ups and crunches during the TV commercials, during an hour long program I can do about two hundred of each. I want to try to squeeze dips in there somehow. And I may take things up a notch and do a kettlebell workout.

By far my worst run yet today. My right leg was so painful, I fell behind my dad pretty much straight away and didn't catch up till we were halfway through the second 10mins - and then only when he'd turned round to come back my way. He gave me a few choice words about my performance, and while I wasn't all that gracious in reply it did work. Although my leg hurt on every other step on the way back, it still hurts now.

Still, we made a better time than Friday somehow - we're hovering somewhere around the 6min 30seconds mark per km.

Be careful not to push through pain just because someone else is pushing you. I'm sure your dad is just trying to motivate you, but only you can know if the pain you're experiencing is something you can push through or something you can't. Sometimes even if you can handle the pain pushing through it is only going to push you to the point where you can't anymore. Take an extra rest day if you need it, the last thing you want is to have it turn into something that stops you for weeks or more.

Still in pieces today after the Sark to Jersey race on Saturday.

27km, open seas, apparently the roughest conditions they've seen in 15 years. Opposing Force 4 winds and a strong tide led to 1m+ swell, loads of chop and a very, very, very soggy HBH.

Finished in 2:08:04, which meant we missed out on the all-time Novice record by less than 6 minutes - absolutely gutted. Still, we smashed the other Novice crews by over 20 minutes and ended up winning our class, so at least we've got some silverware for the clubhouse!

Bring on next weekend...

:bowdown: :thumbsup: That sounds awful and awesome at the same time. :)

Bizarrely, it didn't feel that bad at the time - we were helped by the fact that for the last 8km or so we had a massive tidal current that pushed us up to 15-17km/h, which is the fastest we've ever rowed.

The following day though...especially when combined with a massive hangover from the awards dinner...

Found this photo which really puts the roughness of the conditions into perspective (not my crew):

http://tinyurl.com/mkoryhr

Did a 9.5km run on Saturday just under 50 minutes, which came down to 5'15"-5'20" per km.

Loved every second of it, as the route went around a river lake and beaches along it, but with almost no people due to cloudy and windy weather.

I'm starting to consider running a half-marathon in the fall. Since most of our local races are in the spring, that means I'll probably go on a road trip ;)

Still in pieces today after the Sark to Jersey race on Saturday.

27km, open seas, apparently the roughest conditions they've seen in 15 years. Opposing Force 4 winds and a strong tide led to 1m+ swell, loads of chop and a very, very, very soggy HBH.

Finished in 2:08:04, which meant we missed out on the all-time Novice record by less than 6 minutes - absolutely gutted. Still, we smashed the other Novice crews by over 20 minutes and ended up winning our class, so at least we've got some silverware for the clubhouse!

Bring on next weekend...

I second DP in that sounds horrible and awesome both!

Did a 9.5km run on Saturday just under 50 minutes, which came down to 5'15"-5'20" per km.

Loved every second of it, as the route went around a river lake and beaches along it, but with almost no people due to cloudy and windy weather.

I'm starting to consider running a half-marathon in the fall. Since most of our local races are in the spring, that means I'll probably go on a road trip ;)

Very nice! Sounds like it was lovely run.

Only about 4 hours sleep last night so no weights today, but I will be carrying all sorts of heavy things up from the basement...lots and lots of trips up and down the stairs.

eta: carried the treadmill up the stairs, with the husband, twice. I am sure that counts as it is very heavy. :P (first time we had the treadmill flat and it didn't fit through the door way, so back down, tip it sideways and back up the stairs)

Erg session on Tuesday - still going for the distance and did almost 13km.

Times still in need of improvement and still improving. It's fun to see work you put in pay back.

In other news, I did yoga yesterday after skipping it for a few weeks. It was brutal.

I see some improvement since my first class, but it will take some time before I can go through the whole class properly.

Yesterday we had a 30ºC weather combined with storm and heavy rain which blew the humidity through the roof which made it extra hard for me.

My shirt was soaked by the time we finished our 75 minutes class.

Archived