R+L=J v.96

Jon Weirgaryen

What's funny about that famous saying—every rose has its thorn—is Ser Alliser Thorne's presence at the Wall + A blue flower [rose] grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness... .

I am really sorry about the gender thing--normally I am very careful not to make that mistake, but I was in a rush and trying to get out the door as I was typing and posting. I am glad, however, that my reading comprehension skills are still in tact. :cool4:

No offence taken :) I just thought clarification might be useful :)

There is probably a whole year from the moment Lyanna was "taken" by Rhaegar and they died. In that lapse of time, they spent probably two months travelling from wherever they were to Dorne, and just that they had sex. Unless of course we consider Rhaegar is the kind of guy who would deflower a girl in some random inn or while camping with Arthur and Whent. He ain't Robert.

Who knows Rhaegar did take a girl and piss off 4 entire regions in doing so.I suppose he thought the Stark's would be cool with him taking her and I suppose he thought the father he knew was insane would react in a sane manner when dealing with the Starks.

People seem to give Rhaegar being a good guy too much credit simply because biased people say so.For all we know he started having sex with her right away.

Who knows Rhaegar did take a girl and piss off 4 entire regions in doing so.I suppose he thought the Stark's would be cool with him taking her and I suppose he thought the father he knew was insane would react in a sane manner when dealing with the Starks.

People seem to give Rhaegar being a good guy too much credit simply because biased people say so.For all we know he started having sex with her right away.

What makes you think that Jorah or Ned are biased?

Plus, not anticipating an all-out civil war =/= expecting everyone to be cool. Just saying.

The only people Rhaegar owed explanations were the Starks and the Martells.

I think people can't or don't want to understand that those Lords wouldn't mind about Lyanna being "dishonoured". Whatever happens in the Prince's sheets aren't matter of war, only matter of families being offended and wanting retribution. Girls' hymens aren't that important to call banners, unless is your own daughter, and even so many other lords would say "well, that's your thing, not mine". Imagine if Rhaegar had eloped with Cat instead. I can't imagine the Arryns recruiting people to go and fight Aerys for what his son did.

The Rebels were mainly the Starks, the Baratheons, the Arryns and the Tullys. And there is a chain of events that caused this:

Aerys wanted Ned and Robert dead. They both were under protection/tutelage of Jon Arryn. The main "offended" here also is Ned, because Aerys killed both his father and brother, and the Prince "kidnapped" his sister, and he's now the Lord of Winterfell. But Arryn didn't act when Lyanna was taken: he didn't call men in name of Ned, the brother, or Robert, the future husband. If they heard Brandon went to KL to deal with Rhaegar, then they assumed he was going to solve a situation that only was important to the Starks, not the rest of Great Lords.

Anyway, Robert and Ned go and gather their forces. Then, Ned returns. They joined Arryn's men. It's later when Hoster joins, after Ned marries Cat and Jon marries Lysa (or after the betrothals are arranged).

Hoster helped the Rebellion because he was now linked to the Rebels by marriage. Before, he couldn't care less. He had no reasons. All of this was put in motion AFTER Aerys asked Arryn for his boys' heads. Not because Lyanna and Rhaegar did or did not. Let's pretend Brandon had been a calm chap and goes to the RK and asks kindly "where is Rhaegar?" and no one dies, Would the Tullys, Arryns and Baratheon have joined together and Rebel against the Targaryens to protest for Lyanna's flower being well, deflowered? Nope.

What's funny about that famous saying—every rose has its thorn—is Ser Alliser Thorne's presence at the Wall + A blue flower [rose] grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness... .

You are a genius. I always deemed the presence of Thorne on the Wall and his relationship with Jon to be bitterly and tragically ironic but this is a real gem :wideeyed:

Just to put to rest the whole "R+L=J is a red herring and Martin is gonna pull a 180 on us", could we add this to our Reference Guide?

Author George R.R. Martin admitted in a recent interview that some of his fans have solved the mysteries of his epic fantasy series.

Fans of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series have poured over the dense novels for years, constructing and fine-tuning theories as intricate as the series itself. That labor of love has apparently borne fruit.

“Some of the theories are right,” Martin confirmed, speaking at the Edinburgh International Book Festival.

The author admitted that he has “wrestled” with the fact that some fans have solved the many mysteries of his epic series.

“I do want to surprise my readers. I hate predictable fiction as a reader, I don’t want to write predictable fiction,” he said. “I want to surprise and delight my reader and take them in directions they didn’t see coming.”

“But I can’t change the plans,” Martin stated firmly, recalling that he was first confronted with this issue on fan boards in the ’90′s. “At least one or two readers had put together the extremely subtle and obscure clues that I’d planted in the books and came to the right solution.”

The Song of Ice and Fire series has exploded in popularity with the progression of HBO’s adaptation, Game of Thrones. As more and more fans join the speculative masses, it becomes more likely that the hive mind will reach Martin’s pre-drawn conclusions.

“So what do I do then? Do I change it?” Martin mused. “I wrestled with that issue and I came to the conclusion that changing it would be a disaster, because the clues were there… so I’m just going to go ahead.”

Still, Martin keeps much of his hope in the less technological segment of the fandom. “Some of my readers who don’t read the boards, which thankfully there are hundreds of thousands of them, will still be surprised,” he said. “And other readers will say: ‘See, I said that four years ago, I’m smarter than you guys.”

Source

Just to put to rest the whole "R+L=J is a red herring and Martin is gonna pull a 180 on us", could we add this to our Reference Guide?

Source

:agree:

It's not like too many people read the reference guide, anyway, but every single person who does is one person less likely to bring this up :P

:agree:

It's not like too many people read the reference guide, anyway, but every single person who does is one person less likely to bring this up :P

All right, since it was I who did the first post of this invocation thread this time, I edited it to add this bit:

Since this theory has been refined so well, will Martin change the outcome of the story to surprise his fans?

No, he said he won't change the outcome of the story only because some poeple have put together all the clues and solved the puzzle.

Did I get this all right?

Any changes to recommend?

All right, since it was I who did the first post of this invocation thread this time, I edited it to add this bit:

Since this theory has been refined so well, will Martin change the outcome of the story to surprise his fans?

No, he said he won't change the outcome of the story only because some poeple have put together all the clues and solved the puzzle.

I'd recommend that "poeple" should be changed to "people".

:D

Ygrain approves +100 (except poeple)

Why?

In real llife, actor Jack Nicholson was raised with the belief his birth mother was his "sister."

There isn't any evidence to support it. Sounds like wishful thinking to me. Also, why can't she just be Edric's aunt like it says in the text? What purpose does it serve for her to be Brandon and Ashara's daughter?

Archived