Why do we think Varys is a Blackfyre?

Arya Mormont

Well for starters, he has been supporting Aegon, the latest Blackfyre Pretender, since he was young. He has been described as "bald as an egg," which brings to mind Egg, who shaved his head to hide his silver-gold hair, perhaps suggesting he does have some Targaryen heritage. We have seen both Targaryens and Blackfyres doing something about their hair to hide their (red or black) dragon heritage.

Also, we always see the cat, Balerion, before we meet Varys explaining his true scheme. Balerion was named for the black dragon, the sigil of House Targaryen. A little thin for a clue I admit, but it could go in the right direction.

Shaved head hints at Egg's shaved head to hide his Targ hair.

The cutting for use in magic points towards King's blood.

He's from Lys, so a possible Aerion Brightflame connection.

He is playing the Game of Thrones.

All pretty vague really but has some merit.

Well, there is the shaving head stuff, but that's also the "mummer's cut". Eunuchs usually don't go bald, so he's really shaving.

But basically he's supporting Baygon, and he's probably a Blackfyre. There could be any other explanation for Varys to support him, though.

One of the most striking clues that Varys might have Targaryen blood (through Blackfyre, Brightflame or even Bittersteel) is this:

No one knew the Red Keep better than the eunuch.

Only the blood of the dragon would ever know the secrets of the fortress the Dragonlords had built, he [Maegor] vowed.

Whenever anything of import happened in the Red Keep, the eunuch appeared as if from nowhere.

And here is another possible clue:

The eunuch touched his neck and gaped at the blood on his fingers. “I have always abhorred the sight of my own blood.”

Varys is most probably taking blood metaphorically and referring to Aerys and other Targaryens as his own blood.

Not much evidence that supports Varys actually being a Blackfyre:

1. He's from Essos

2. He shaves his head

3. He contributed to Aerys' madness, trying to turn him against Rhaegar

Varys may not be a Blackfyre himself, but I'm pretty sure Aegon is, and Varys is pro-Aegon

Not only that, but he was pro-fAegon before fAegon was even born.

I'm really starting to develop an interest in the Blackfyres and their hundred years of exile. They should write a series about that.

His being a Blackfyre folds nicely into a number of theories. And there's the whole "black or red..." comment.

Is there more? For a forum that's usually so hardcore about textual evidence... What am I missing?

The BF is lacking in textual evidence in general, but there's a narrative argument to be made. How else can you explain Varys destabilizing Aerys's (and Rhaegar's potential) reign, but then supporting Rhaegar's son?

Now, you won't find me making those arguments. The supplementary stories to ASOIAF are piquing my interest in the BFs, but I feel like it would be an unsatisfying reveal in the context of ASOIAF itself. My own bias, of course. You're not wrong in saying the textual evidence is thin though.

His being a Blackfyre folds nicely into a number of theories. And there's the whole "black or red..." comment.

Is there more? For a forum that's usually so hardcore about textual evidence... What am I missing?

Golden Company, who had broken their contract for the first time ever to support Aegon. Ilyrio explains it by this "black or red, a dragon is a dragon" statement. Well, I wonder if this is true, considering the Golden Company was created to defeat the red dragon. I would think it should matter to them if a dragon is red or black.

One of the most striking clues that Varys might have Targaryen blood (through Blackfyre, Brightflame or even Bittersteel) is this:

No one knew the Red Keep better than the eunuch.

Only the blood of the dragon would ever know the secrets of the fortress the Dragonlords had built, he [Maegor] vowed.

Whenever anything of import happened in the Red Keep, the eunuch appeared as if from nowhere.

Ever heard about Larys Strong?

Archived