Bran Stark won't appear in season 5 (confirmed)

Brandon the Wise

"One season" or "10 episodes" isn't enough to forget a main character.

TV viewers have trouble with the minor characters. They don't have trouble with the main characters. I'm surrounded by people who watch the show but haven't read the books. They ask me about minor characters...they don't ask about main characters.

Who is main and who is minor. People I know have trouble distinguishing between Roose and Stannis, and only remember it's Stannis when Red Dress is in the scene. LOL.

I don't think people will forget Bran, but that doens't make it a good choice. It's a stupid choice and there would have been easy ways to make a different choice. And, it also can't be defended when we have already seen Theon who couldn't disappear and so got a ton of screen time for absolutely no plot advancement or Yara either.

I was looking forward to some Bran/BR scenes this season. A scene with BR introducing and discussing the Blackfyres would have worked well with Faegon and JonCon scenes, especially if they were in the same episode.

Theon's confession would be a great scene for the show. I really hope we get to see it.

I do not think that casual viewers will forget Bran, but they will be pissed when a main character who just made a very important advancement vanishes for a year. I don't understand why they would choose not to do training scenes, even just one or two of them, at this point. I wouldn't expect any big revelations in the weirnet this early on, but there are plenty of things Bran could see that could advance the plot or frame events in a very interesting way. Especially if we get Theon at the heart tree.

I do not think that casual viewers will forget Bran, but they will be pissed when a main character who just made a very important advancement vanishes for a year. I don't understand why they would choose not to do training scenes, even just one or two of them, at this point. I wouldn't expect any big revelations in the weirnet this early on, but there are plenty of things Bran could see that could advance the plot or frame events in a very interesting way. Especially if we get Theon at the heart tree.

I think it depends on his WOW arc. If he doesn't have many chapters in that book, they may simply combine his final ADWD chapter to that of his WOW chapters in season 6. In other words, rather than have him be a minor character in two seasons, have him be a major character in one season. It may actually be doing the character a favor.

Honestly, the only thing we could have hoped to see out of Bran this season; would have been him tapping into the Weirnet and giving us flashbacks. Which HBO can just as easily do in season 6; which would keep what is seen in said flashbacks, fresher on the viewer's minds. Bran's arc in the books is miniscule, from the the end of Storm on wards. I would much rather the show, give us ACTUAL material with other characters from the books; than to make up filler for Bran.

Brans chapters are awesome. Shame they can't redeem the butchering of Bloodraven in season 5, hopefully they will in the future.

I don't believe this. I doubt you do either.

They ended last season with a crazy over the top segment...skeletons, fire bombs, death, VERY theatrical. And now they say they're going to let that lie, with no explanation of who is the elf girl or the man in the tree for a season....

We could very well never see BR again. LOL.

It tells you a lot about how they tell stories, too:

"It made sense to stop where we did," Benioff said. "He's now entering a training period which is going to take quite some time, much of which isn’t particularly cinematic. So rather than being stuck in a cave for a year, we figured it would be interesting to leave him out for a little bit, so when you see him again..." Benioff didn’t want to reveal much more beyond that.

Building up to things is not "cinematic"... out of sight, out of mind... then the BIG MOMENT.

I don't believe this. I doubt you do either.

They ended last season with a crazy over the top segment...skeletons, fire bombs, death, VERY theatrical. And now they say they're going to let that lie, with no explanation of who is the elf girl or the man in the tree for a season....

We could very well never see BR again. LOL.

ye lol so tru ha

I've brought this up repeatedly on the casting thread but a few sources updated by the girl who plays Leaf, Octavia Alexandru's, agents/management say she'll be in ep. 501. They list Alex Graves rather than Michael Slovis, so it may have been shot for ep. 410 and then held over for whatever reason. That's not been done before in the show of course but that doesn't mean that they never would delay a scene though. If it was just the one CV that said this, I'd presume it was a mistake or a mislabelling but her management is convinced enough that she'll be in s5 that they've put it on a few different of her pages.

I can't post links here due to some glitch that I've not yet looked into fixing but look up her Spotlight, CastingDB and Starnow pages to see for yourself.

Though, I doubt this will do anything to allay the negativity of y'all's reactions, it could well mean that there will be at least SOME Bran next year. Or of course it could be a mistake. Still, though, figured it'd be worth bringing to your attentions, seeing as it was these very CVs that were some of the original indicators of her appearance in s4 to begin with...

I've brought this up repeatedly on the casting thread but a few sources updated by the girl who plays Leaf, Octavia Alexandru's, agents/management say she'll be in ep. 501. They list Alex Graves rather than Michael Slovis, so it may have been shot for ep. 410 and then held over for whatever reason. That's not been done before in the show of course but that doesn't mean that they never would delay a scene though. If it was just the one CV that said this, I'd presume it was a mistake or a mislabelling but her management is convinced enough that she'll be in s5 that they've put it on a few different of her pages.

I can't post links here due to some glitch that I've not yet looked into fixing but look up her Spotlight, CastingDB and Starnow pages to see for yourself.

Though, I doubt this will do anything to allay the negativity of y'all's reactions, it could well mean that there will be at least SOME Bran next year. Or of course it could be a mistake. Still, though, figured it'd be worth bringing to your attentions, seeing as it was these very CVs that were some of the original indicators of her appearance in s4 to begin with...

so your theory is that Beniof is lying/being cute in the interview? why bother with an interview at all then? the idea then is that everyone is going to be double surprised...bran will be in episode one when everyone thought he was out and then he's out the rest of the season?

It's not a theory, I'm just trying to reconcile this piece of information with what Benioff and Nairn said. Either the CVs are wrong which could very well be OR we get one last scene, maybe Bran hooking up to "the weirnet", and then we don't see his storyline again, just hear him through the WF weirwood and perhaps see him through Mel's fires (both of which would not require new footage or audio).

The Moat Caillin material in ep. 408 was originally intended for 410, as per information posted by the actor playing Kenning's management on imdb and his CV. It's possible that the Bran material we got in 410 was meant for 408 and was to have been followed up by a shorter scene in 410, which in rejiggering around the scenes, was pushed to 501. Scenes are often switched between episodes when the episodes share the same director. Of course the 410 switching to 501 would not be an example of this precedent, which is one thing counting against it.

It's not a theory, I'm just trying to reconcile this piece of information with what Benioff and Nairn said. Either the CVs are wrong which could very well be OR we get one last scene, maybe Bran hooking up to "the weirnet", and then we don't see his storyline again, just hear him through the WF weirwood and perhaps see him through Mel's fires (both of which would not require new footage or audio).

I read Benioff saying "when we see him again" as straighforward, the headline of the article is no Bran in Season 5, not no Issac shooting, he says 'when we last saw him' blah, blah, blah, his training is not cinematic, when we see him againa, blah blah. As I said it, it seems strange to bother confirming something that is going to turn out to be factually untrue.....if there is a new segment with Bran and Leaf in 501, it will be "new Bran' to the audience, even if it was shot last year.

I just can't see the producers bothering to play this kind of semantical game. But who knows.

Archived