Are Nipples Obscene?

Weeping Sore

Nipples on men are comical. Nipples on women are awesome!! Neither are obscene. Though in cold weather they can be dangerous.

But I think the general consensus view is that women's nipples are far more sexual/sensual than men's. But that's me speaking as a heterosexual man. And perhaps that's social conditioning rather than an inherent biological drive. Perhaps the heterosexual ladies and the homosexual men have a different view on this and they find a man's naked chest to be equally as sexually arousing as I find naked chests of women. But honestly, I like boobs being an object of sexual arousal so I prefer them to remain generally out of the public eye, so that I can get all excited when I play with my wife's boobs. If boobs become boring and mundane then that will take all the fun out of them. Perhaps it would be better for men to be more modest, that way women, and gay men get to have another sexually titillating anatomical feature to get excited about, which they don't see every day.

I think there is a public safety issue too. When I'm biking home from work I bike past a beach. If that beach has several bare chested women wandering to and fro the chances of me crashing into a pedestrian will increase substantially.

I learned in Con Law class last month that you're free to show your nips in NYC. I figured at first that it was legal for women because of breast feeding, but that can't be it. They could just make a breast feeding exception.

I wouldn't call it obscene because that's subjective. Obscenity laws fall under the umbrella of "morality laws" (really, any criminal law is based on moral disapproval - if we didn't think it was bad, why criminalize it?). So if in a place like NYC where it would appear that the majority feel like nipples are a-ok from a "moral" standpoint, that shouldn't be an issue. Conversely, if in another city/county/state/what-have-you, where it seems the majority doesn't approve and they'd rather you not be allowed to show your nipples, guy or girl, then that should be okay too. We'll never all agree on what is obscene and what isn't. That's ok as long as we don't get crazy about it.

Only instance where I'd have a problem is if they said one gender or the other couldn't. Then they'd have some 'splainin to do.

Edit: On second thought, I don't see any problem with a law stating only women can't show their nipples in public. If that's what the majority wants, that should be okay. I don't like the idea of communities not being able to set their own moral codes through law, even if I disagree with them.

But I think the general consensus view is that women's nipples are far more sexual/sensual than men's. But that's me speaking as a heterosexual man. And perhaps that's social conditioning rather than an inherent biological drive. Perhaps the heterosexual ladies and the homosexual men have a different view on this and they find a man's naked chest to be equally as sexually arousing as I find naked chests of women. But honestly, I like boobs being an object of sexual arousal so I prefer them to remain generally out of the public eye, so that I can get all excited when I play with my wife's boobs. If boobs become boring and mundane then that will take all the fun out of them. Perhaps it would be better for men to be more modest, that way women, and gay men get to have another sexually titillating anatomical feature to get excited about, which they don't see every day.

I think there's actually something to this. I mean the erotic charge of seeing a woman's bare ankle has definitely lessened since hemlines rose above the floor. Maybe the burqa is the ultimate aphrodisiac...

I think there's actually something to this. I mean the erotic charge of seeing a woman's bare ankle has definitely lessened since hemlines rose above the floor. Maybe the burqa is the ultimate aphrodisiac...

Where ankles actually considered sexy? It really does boggle the mind. And even if they were I would wager that they where sexy purely because they where hidden. Whereas breasts are both hidden and there is actually an evolutionary explanation for why we find them attractive. I don't think they'd loose much of their allure if they where out all the time.

And besides, it's a little selfish and sexist to say that boobs must be covered up just so that guys can enjoy them more. I'm all for freeing the nipples.

Nope! They are just part of the human body. They also function as very useful baby feeding tools. I'm cool with nipples being as exposed as their owner wants them to be.

I've always found the logic here amusing. Like apparently babies spend the first year of their life feeding on breasts and then from then on they're traumatised by the mere sight of them.

Are nipples obscene? As a rule, no. But Vladimir Putin's nipples are obscene (because there must always be an exception to every rule).

There is something pretty obscene about lasers.

As a mother who breastfed both of her children, I don't see anything special about them. I admittedly worried about how people would react to my feeding them in public (not that I really showed anything, but some people are jerks). Luckily, it was rare to run into anyone who felt the need to make a comment.

Archived