NFL Suberb Owl: Evil Empire vs Legion of Boom

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Yeah, I' am hoping maybe 20 years from now I'll be able to look back at this offseason and get a real chuckle.

One thing I find troubling are these articles indicating that "Tomsula is conducting interviews for his coaching staff". They aren't letting him talk to these people are they?

This is so embarrassing. Season-long orchestrated hatchet job on a great coach and then you're caught completely flat-footed when you fire him.

As bad as Tomsula might be at talking, I'd prefer it to Baalke. Rumblings that a lot of the debris in the road is coaches (understandably) asking for clarification about domain issues, and Baalke/York doing all the talking ain't gonna help that. Otoh, it appears Tomsula's Rolodex has been maxed out as we're now bringing in NFL Europe guys who have been out of the game for years. Holy fucking crap.

And one last depressing thought: how is this playing for the players? We actually rebuilt the brand, and now we're pissing on it.

On the Carroll/Niners thing, pretty much agree with ME. Mostly 'hate' them in obligatory fashion, but really only Sherman bothers me, and he's a bright guy. Wilson's God stuff doesn't bother me nearly as much as it seems to bother others, because imo the norm (God cares about football games) is much more absurd than his extension of it (God trolls a specific fanbase). Lynch, meh. 95% of my opinion on him is as a player, and Guy can play.

Closest I come to a real complaint is the extraordinary amount of 'incidental' injuries the Niners seem to rack up every time we play them. Not as convinced it's dirty as some fans seem to be, but my eyebrows are raised.

So the coaching staff that led the Rhine Fire to 6-4 is now leading the San Francisco 49ers after they just fired a coach that led them to the NFC Championship game 3 years in a row.

I remember cursing this franchise after getting my heart broken by "The Catch", but even I wouldn't have gone so far....

I don't see how. The Niners still have a lot of talent, to intentionally tear it all down and start rebuilding would be crazy. With a decent coaching hire there's every reason to think they could make it back to the playoffs next year.

So is there any possibility that York is deliberately tanking to get some oddly good draft pick or get a coach they really want? Is tonsula basically a zook?

Honestly, I think it's Baalke whose running the show. I think he more or less leads York around by the nose. Tomsula is a sock puppet, essentially.

This is so embarrassing. Season-long orchestrated hatchet job on a great coach and then you're caught completely flat-footed when you fire him.

As bad as Tomsula might be at talking, I'd prefer it to Baalke. Rumblings that a lot of the debris in the road is coaches (understandably) asking for clarification about domain issues, and Baalke/York doing all the talking ain't gonna help that. Otoh, it appears Tomsula's Rolodex has been maxed out as we're now bringing in NFL Europe guys who have been out of the game for years. Holy fucking crap.

And one last depressing thought: how is this playing for the players? We actually rebuilt the brand, and now we're pissing on it.

This is something I am not hearing enough of from Niners fans locally. I really think that Baalke/York thought they'd be the first choice of every eligible candidate. The truth appears to be that NFL coaches know a train wreck when they see it.

So is there any possibility that York is deliberately tanking to get some oddly good draft pick or get a coach they really want? Is tonsula basically a zook?

Yeah, they will bumble themselves to a 7-9 record or so (with a team that should be easily 10+ wins). Tomsula would probably screw up tanking, anyway.

And just a random thought. We're in the age of companies kowtowing to social media outrage all the time.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/08/news/companies/gap_logo/

http://mashable.com/2011/09/18/netflix-qwikster-apology/

etc.

Any chance the 49ers come out with a heartfelt apology and say "we have listened to our fan's feedback, and have decided that our attempt to go forward with a homeless man as our coach was misguided. We will hire a real coach, and learn from this mistake."

Of course they won't, because they're part of the NFL, and the NFL doesn't do customer service, but if this was any industry that operated in a real market place with elastic demand you would think they would, right?

None of it makes a lot of sense. The only thing I can think of is the money.

The Niners will be saving probably $ 3-4 million on their coaching staff this year, maybe more.

They've been flush with the cap the last few years so if they go $10-15 million under the cap the money could start adding up.

All their PSL's for the new stadium are sold, so it's probably safe to say their stadium revenues are locked in pretty nicely.

They have had a 33 year string of sell outs, so they might be counting on the fan base not bailing on them right away.

Does it make sense to do this 5- 10 years to make a little over $100 million? I don't think so, but I don't own the team.

This is something I am not hearing enough of from Niners fans locally. I really think that Baalke/York thought they'd be the first choice of every eligible candidate. The truth appears to be that NFL coaches know a train wreck when they see it.

I don't think Baalke is as concerned with eligible candidates as he is with having a staff that is under his thumb.

None of it makes a lot of sense. The only thing I can think of is the money.

The Niners will be saving probably $ 3-4 million on their coaching staff this year, maybe more.

They've been flush with the cap the last few years so if they go $10-15 million under the cap the money could start adding up.

All their PSL's for the new stadium are sold, so it's probably safe to say their stadium revenues are locked in pretty nicely.

They have had a 33 year string of sell outs, so they might be counting on the fan base not bailing on them right away.

Does it make sense to do this 5- 10 years to make a little over $100 million? I don't think so, but I don't own the team.

This line of thinking is not terrible logic. What you are missing from the equation are that coaches and staff are not counted against the salary cap. Teams can spend any amount they want on them. (The way that they should be able to for players)

This line of thinking is not terrible logic. What you are missing from the equation are that coaches and staff are not counted against the salary cap. Teams can spend any amount they want on them. (The way that they should be able to for players)

I don't think that matters so much when it comes to the Yorks. Pretty much every expenditure counts against their Cap. :frown5:

I probably didn't articulate it as well as I could have. What I meant by "10-15 million under the cap" was savings accumulated by not re-signing free agents, not being active in the free agent market, etc, etc.

Salary Cap is good. Not everyone has an owner who would go pay2win. That being said, if there was no salary cap then there would have been no 18-1 Patriots team. Brandon Stokely, THE EDGE Edgerrin James, Tarik Glenn, Cato June... All four of these men would have been on the field to play the Patriots in Superbowl 41.5

Hell, we can even assume that Joeseph Addai wouldn't have ended Marvin Harrison's career in week 4 vs the Bucs that year.

Archived