NFL Suberb Owl: Evil Empire vs Legion of Boom

Manhole Eunuchsbane

BTW congrats to the Falcons on hiring Kyle Shanahan as its OC and Raheem Morris as its DC. Atlanta, you watched the 2013 Redskins and were clearly blown away with what you saw .And who can blame you? Special congrats to Raheem Morris for getting promoted despite coaching basically the worst secondary in football the last 5 years. I'm sure it was the lack of talent in DC why you failed and the bountiful riches of Atlanta's defense will be just the the tonic to revive your sterling reputation.

I haven't seen a guy fail upwards like that since..................................Joe Barry.

Motherfucker.

Yeah. It has pretty much always sucked to be a Falcons fan.

Holy crap, he has a kid named Jax? No wonder he always loses.

I did not know that. Obviously this kid will grow up dreaming that his dad was actually as good at actual football as he is as a guy on a fantasy football roster...

I did not know that. Obviously this kid will grow up dreaming that his dad was actually as good at actual football as he is as a guy on a fantasy football roster...

Speaking of, has there ever been a bigger discrepancy between a player's value to a fantasy team vs. his real life team? He threw 28 TDs last year and pretty sure 22 occurred in garbage time.

Down 24 points in the 4th quarter? That's when Jay Cutler goes to work.

Both the Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson retorts have been found to be inaccurate...

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2015/01/it-took-football-to-get-people-interested-in-physics/

http://www.avclub.com/article/neil-degrasse-tyson-bungles-science-deflate-gate-s-214373?

/Everyone is getting sucked into the derpside of this scandal

I pretty much agree with what you're saying about revisionism. Let's face it, both guys learned a ton from failure.

I will add two adjunct and opposing thoughts:

1) Bill Belichick is still the most winningest coach in Cleveland in the last 25 years

2) The vortex of suck that is Cleveland > The greatest coach of all time

I can't argue with this...

... well...

The organization- forgetting team names for a second - that Belichick was with - Modell et al - eventually became the Baltimore Ravens, not the Cleveland Browns. Therefore, while yes, sure, the CITY sucked him into their brown, sluice-swirling stink-gate, the organization- Modell, Neusome (eventually) and the guys he had on the field, were actually the basic building blocks of the Baltimore Ravens- probably one of the top 5 Organizations in the AFC (in terms of on-the-field performance; off the field they are train wrecks).

But I don't just want to be a Negative Nelly - you are fully correct in one critical area - both Carrol and Belichick had to grow and these jobs provided that learning experience.

Looks like Robert Kraft just closed off the wagon circle. Apparently he just said that the league should clear them and apologize.

On the radio today somebody made a great point -- either Bill Belichick really believes that the Patriots did nothing wrong ... .or he's insane,

This is now, literally, absurd.

He went to take a leak and now... ZMGOD!!!!!!! Ninety Seconds. He was able to deflate 12 balls about 2 psi each in ... 90 seconds? That's 7.5 seconds per ball, and leaving enough time to take all the footballs out of the bag, keep them all from spilling all over the place, take out the right amount of air, then getting them all back in the bag and sealed up. IN 90 seconds.

Yeah... no. That didn't happen.

The NFL has nothing. This is a made up scandal.

Unbelievable. And by "Unbelievable" I mean "completely and totally believable."

He went to take a leak and now... ZMGOD!!!!!!! Ninety Seconds. He was able to deflate 12 balls about 2 psi each in ... 90 seconds? That's 7.5 seconds per ball, and leaving enough time to take all the footballs out of the bag, keep them all from spilling all over the place, take out the right amount of air, then getting them all back in the bag and sealed up. IN 90 seconds.

Yeah, 90 seconds doesn't seem like nearly enough time to me either. Honestly though, I don't understand why they need a smoking gun. Seems to me that as long as the inspection on both ends was on the up and up, that's all they need.

Let me just clarify here...

Are you really suggesting that the league is making a story up to tarnish the good name of the Pats and there is no validity to the story that they are cheating cheaters who cheat?

And what is Pete Carroll's back story? I wasn't really aware of him pre-Seahawks. I know he has bounced around the NFL and college game (which I don't follow). He seems like an anti-Belichick personality-wise and was pretty innovative to quickly rebuild Seattle's roster from nothing with a lot of trades for young players. He seems improbably unpopular with some people.

Despite watching games every weekend, I'm not immersed enough in the history or the inter-game news cycle to have picked up on the source for the Seattle haters. Thx.

I don't watch much college football. (Sure I'm a UConn season ticket holder, but whatever product they've put on the field lately isn't actually football.) I think there was also a lot of chatter about USC paying its players illegally. I was sure that back at the NFL level, where Carroll (well it was probably the booster club mostly, but you know what I mean) can't just pay his guys more than the competition, he'd get smoked. But apparently he's a pretty good coach too.

The 12th man thing is pretty annoying though.

Let me just clarify here...

Are you really suggesting that the league is making a story up to tarnish the good name of the Pats and there is no validity to the story that they are cheating cheaters who cheat?

I did not say the league was making up "the story"; I said the "scandal" was made up.

The Scandal is driven by the media and is carried out by de jure co-conspirators: Hines Ward, the but-hurt Indy sports writers, the disgraced former GM of the Panthers, etc.

The NFL has no evidence at all that the Patriots intentionally let air out of the footballs. And the reason for the lack of evidence does not appear to be a cover-up by the Pats (the Pats not only gave over the locker-room attendant who handled the footballs and went into the bath room immediately; the Pats turned over the video footage immediately- the NFL has had all those items this whole time); it appears to be because the Pats may not have actually done anything wrong.

The investigation is going on for the next few weeks so maybe something will come up, but right now,w hat is there? That the footballs were given to the refs and they passed inspection. 90 seconds later they are on the field. No, really - what else is there? The pressure went down. M'kay- show me evidence that the Patriots or anyone working under their auspices - employees, fans, guests, bribed officials - anyone - tampered with the footballs or engaged in some other practice that caused the balls to lose that much pressure - I'm listening.

And don't throw this back on me saying "Eugghhhh -- just another Pats fan who is denying that the Pats cheat!!! Worse than an anti-vaxxer!!!!!!" Bullshit. When this started I stated that I thought the most likely situation was a Patriots equipment manager knew that Brady like the footballs under-inflated because Brady would constantly remind the staff of this and annoy them and basically drive them crazy .... while the whole time never actually uttering a command or order like "After the refs look at these footballs, take 2 psi out .... or else...."

And I specifically said that that turned my stomach because the thought of somebody making $50K a year having to take the fall for a multi-millionaire was "fucked."

Here is what I think happened- and this assumes that the most current info is all accurate - I think the attendant brought the balls to the officials; a team of official who we are told over and over again do not work with each other during the regular season. The refs gave the balls a few squeezes, handled them over and over, but never put a gauge into them because refs never really do that. They marked the footballs and turned them back over. The footballs were probably brought over at 12.5 or 11.5 psi or somewhere around there. The refs just gave them a feel and that was it; they marked the balls as "passed." The attendant then took all the footballs out, went to the bathroom for 90 seconds and then went out to the field.

I also think that the risk/reward drive in all of us should be understood. The Pats were not a PU against the Colts; they were 7 point favorites and the Colts were no Ravens. The Pats had already beaten the Colts in three consecutive blow-outs. None was close. Why would the Pats- or anyone acting on their behalf - engage in a plan that relies on at least one person so lowly that, when push came to shove, if they lost their job, would go to the press and say "Tom Brady is a cheating cheater who cheats." Its a plan that could easily be uncovered and a plan that has very, very VERY little up-side. So, we are all going to believe that the Pats would engage in such illegality ... why?

The most likely scenario, right now, is the "refs-didn't-check-the-balls-with-a-gauge"; then the "equipment-manager-who-wants-to-please-bitchy-Brady" and finally the "Evil-Patriots."

Give me evidence; its all I ask for. Spygate had evidence - I said the Pats cheated (the impact? minimal and often completely misunderstood). Here?

Its literally in the toilet.

Both the Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson retorts have been found to be inaccurate...

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2015/01/it-took-football-to-get-people-interested-in-physics/

http://www.avclub.com/article/neil-degrasse-tyson-bungles-science-deflate-gate-s-214373?

/Everyone is getting sucked into the derpside of this scandal

Bill Nye is a Seattle fan just sayin

If the NFL comes out and says that the balls were tested and found to be 12.5 psi at the games start, and that 11 of them were at ~ 10.5 psi at halftime, then I don't think that the NFL really needs to prove that the Patriots did it. The balls were correctly inflated, they became underinflated in two hours, and they were in the Patriots possession the entire time. That's all the smoking gun you need. In such a case, a harsh penalty is coming down, something like the 500k and 2nd round pick I mentioned earlier.

BUT, if the ref who inspected the balls says that he just gave them a typical once-over and that the balls felt "fine", then the NFL has nothing. In which case, essentially the NFL and Patriots both screwed up, but there was no cheating going on at all. In which case, I would expect the NFL to do whatever it can to make this story go away, probably with a friday afternoon press conference and a slap on the wrist fine of 25k.

However something that we need to keep in mind is that the Colts had warned the NFL about the Patriots underinflating balls before the game started. If the NFL actually took that seriously, then they would have taken a lot more care with the pre-game inspection, and it would involve a pressure gauge. Even if for most games the inspection is a quick squeeze, that might not be the case this time. To me that is the biggest question out there: how complete and accurate was the pre-game test. If the NFL is sure that was done correctly and accurately, then that's all I need to know.

Its also possible that Patriots altered the balls in a way that didn't require them to do anything after the inspection. For instance, piercing the balls in advance so that they very, very slowly let air out over the course of the game.

I think it's simply more likely that the NFL knew interest in this Super Bowl would be fairly low, so ran with whatever controversy fell into their laps to ratchet up the media interest.

I doubt very much that the NFL would resort to a cheating scandal to increase interest. Allegations of cheating/rigging can be poison for a sport.

Archived