NFL Suberb Owl: Evil Empire vs Legion of Boom

Manhole Eunuchsbane

I'm concerned for the Seahawks too. The Pats will gain easy yards with 10-15 yard throws to the slot receiver or Gronk in the center. A lot will depend on whether Seattle can hold them to field goals in the red zone like the Packers. If Seattle's corners don't recover it could get ugly.

So a lot depends on how well the Hawks run the ball. Their receiving unit isn't great but perhaps Willson can pop up with some long catch & runs.

But it's still an unpredictable game, not least because we don't see many games between the heavyweights from the AFC and NFC.

The NFL seems to be, at least publically, making a bigger deal out of Lynch's crude scoring celebration, which doesn't change the outcome of games, than it is about the Pats' apparent cheating, which certainly could. The first is at most a minor offense with no significant impact except that it makes the league look slightly unsavory while the latter is a potentially major infraction that could effect the very integrity of the game. Good job NFL! Once again, you demonstrate to the world an exception ability to set priorities and focus on what really matters.

The NFL seems to be, at least publically, making a bigger deal out of Lynch's crude scoring celebration, which doesn't change the outcome of games, than it is about the Pats' apparent cheating, which certainly could. The first is at most a minor offense with no significant impact except that it makes the league look slightly unsavory while the latter is a potentially major infraction that could effect the very integrity of the game. Good job NFL! Once again, you demonstrate to the world an exception ability to set priorities and focus on what really matters.

I don't think the NFL needs to do anything to make PSI: New England more publicized. It's already eclipsed the Ray Rice scandal in terms of coverage.

Bill Nye says Belicheck is full of shit...

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/bill-nye-the-science-guy-says-bill-belichick-is-full-of-1681658679

/Good enough for me

//SCIENCE, Bitches!!!!

Bill Nye is a native of Seattle and veteran of its local comedy scene (even rehashed several "Almost Live!" skits for "Bill Nye The Science Guy" and brought on other Almost Live vets to collaborate on them).

Just Sayin'. :)

So I am going to have a bunch more to say on predicting the game, but a few general thoughts to start out the actual Super Bowl week.

When the Pats have the ball, I cannot imagine them running it. Seattle's Defense was the best the NFL last season, #2 against the run, #3 against the pass (according to FO's DVOA metric). That defense is also exceptionally fast; they can swarm to the ball and that is the best way to beat power runners like Blount- clog the lanes. The Pats also don't throw deep - Seahawks knew that back in 2012 when they last played; because Brady could not go deep Sherman et al were able to focus on the middle of the field and stop Brady's passing attack. That leaves the middle of the field, short passes, bubble-screens and the flats. In every one of those areas, the Seahawks will absolutely be ready for that. Can they actually stop that part of the Pats game? I don't know, but at that point its slot receivers and Gronk. That's where the Pats make their living and if the Seahwks are weak there... stick a fork in them.

If there is one area where the Pats are just flat out better than they were in 2011 its on Defense. Pats 2011 Defense was #31 in DVOA- a repugnant number by any standard. So long as the Giants could get some key stops (Welker drop) they could get to that defense. That is not the case here; the Pats defense is fully capable of stopping Seattle drives. The big thing will be stopping Lynch; I have read that the Pats are weakest against zone-blocking lines and scat-back type runners (ie: Baltimore's Fossett), but do best against power-running games that rely on a strong, down-hill runner and straight-ahead blocking. That is the Seahawks running game. If the Pats can stop that, the ball will be in Wilson's hands and that is the game. For the vast majority of the NFC Championship, Wilson looked... about as bad as any QB has ever looked. He got locked in on one target (Kearse) and GB (a very "meh" D, #16 overall) made him pay. But, the Pats have been weakest against Tight Ends, and that is where Wilson makes his money.

With Wilson, you have to be concerned about his ability to make plays with his legs, scramble for 1st downs and turn nothing into game-breaking plays. The Pats are planning for that, but so have other teams and they have been S.O.L. The Pats have been putting minimal pressure on QBs in the playoffs- 0 sacks v, Baltimore and Indy. But I think that was from design. I don't think that was part of either game plan. Coverage for the Pats has been, largely, phenomenal. There is no receiver for Seattle as good as Yates, T. Smith or Smith Sr., so I don't see that changing. The Pats, therefore, can dedicate more resources to picking up the run and the scramble; with 4 guys rushing (Wilfork, C. Jones, Ch. Jones and Ninkovitch), Hightower and Collins alternating with keeping Wilson in line and in the pocket. The Pats can move guys around to frustrate Wilson, and either his legs can make yardage or not.

Then again, I am sure every other team in the NFL thought the same thing... how'd that work out for them?

We then come to coaching. Belichick is just a better coach than Carroll, but Carroll is better than many others (he's probably the 3rd best coach in the NFL). If this comes down to scheme v. scheme, it may be too late for the Pats, even if Belichick gives you an edge. I don't see Carroll screwing this up, but I also do not see Belichick doing a McCarthy.

This is a great way to say - this is how the Pats CAN win. But ...

The Pats have not faced a running game as good as the Seahawks ... maybe since week 4... oh... shit... I remember that... (That was a zone-blocking scheme though). If Lynch gets going and the Pats cannot stop him, it fucks up everything because now the spy has to do too much, and Wilson WILL break free a few times. If that happens... the Seawhawks can do anything they want.

That's just a good way to say that after 19 weeks, 18 games each and about as much scrutiny as you can imagine, the Pats and Seahawks are a coin flip. If that's the case, its the Ravens game all over again... and that was the best game in the playoffs...

Get your popcorn ready.

About the the Press Conference... I can't believe I was the only one who noticed. The backround contained, in addition to the Patriot logo, that of a sponsor. Specifically, "Gillette". But more specifically, "Flexball". No one in the Patriot organization considered that visual before he took the podium? Or was it a subtle "Yeah, we did it. What about it?!" :)

I think the Seahawks defense is being underrated by some. They held gb to 22 points despite 5 turnovers. 300+ yards too. I agree that their defense isn't as good against the pats style as it is gb, but they are very strong.

Most of the guys I know in the area love the Seahawks in large part due to Marshawn Lynch having grabbed his dick when he made the 'beastmode' run a few years back. Personally, I don't much care for such things. But if the NFL had half a brain, they'd allow this crude but effective celebration.

I think Josh Gordon is done

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12226738/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-facing-one-year-suspension-failing-another-drug-test

Really prodigious talent, but I don't see anyone giving him another chance.

:lmao:

Way to go Browns, you're like a bunch of fucking scientists. Keep on keepin' on.

I don't even hate them for dumping Trent Benchardson on us, we all got duped. And they lost approximately 21 spots in the draft by making that move, so they still look like assholes.

About the the Press Conference... I can't believe I was the only one who noticed. The backround contained, in addition to the Patriot logo, that of a sponsor. Specifically, "Gillette". But more specifically, "Flexball". No one in the Patriot organization considered that visual before he took the podium? Or was it a subtle "Yeah, we did it. What about it?!" :)

Considering the stadium is called Gillette Stadium its not surprising they have a Gillette product placement. Regardless, your point was called out by a couple of the local news stations here in Boston.

Since the Patriots haven't won a Superbowl since they stopped cheating, I personally think that now they are back to their old ways, they should win another. My pick is NE.

(This has been a post strictly to bait Patriots fans... I believe none of it, but it is so much fun to say.)

Bill Nye is a native of Seattle and veteran of its local comedy scene (even rehashed several "Almost Live!" skits for "Bill Nye The Science Guy" and brought on other Almost Live vets to collaborate on them).

Just Sayin'. :)

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/so-my-frend-said--who-is-bill-nye-and-im-like_o_914323_zps96493a52.jpg.html

/Yeah, Nye is a bigtime Seachickens fan. I think he did a bit at the Clink involving the measurement of crowd noise, and the science behind it.

So... Is anyone watching this riveting game?

I really do not like the format that pits teammates against each other on opposite teams. It takes away the minimal rooting interest fans have.

Richard Sherman just was interviewed on the sideline and said the Patriots probably will not be punished because the league was too busy worrying about Lynch's antics....

I really like him....

Those dicks!

I do, however, appreciate Taren Killam's versatility to play both Tim Tebow and Tom Brady (and Mr. Rad!).

Archived