Ned and Jon's relationship

The Skinner

While there is a chance it might not be true, for the sake of this conversation let's assume that R+L=J is true because I'd rather not distract the topic with paternity debates.

Jon seems to idolize Ned, and Ned in turn seems to love Jon as much as his other children even though he's a nephew. Do you think this is an extension of his love for Lyanna or because he raised him and treated him his other sons and thus came to see him as such? And for Jon, westeros makes a big deal about bloodlines and direct descent, do you think if he discovers the truth will he consider Rhaegar his father or Ned? And how do you think he will feel about it being hidden from him?

Ned clearly loves Jon. Among others he thinks of Jon similar to how he thinks of Robb, mentioning among what he misses being the sound of Robb and Jon at sword practice. He was raised as Ned's son among the rest if his family which would of course lead to them being close

I can only assume Ned kept the truth hidden from Jon for Jon's own good as well as that of the greater Stark family. There would be war if it ever got out and a secret told is no secret at all

Ned will always be the father to Jon imho. He never knew Rhaegar and when he hears from I would think either Howland or Benjen that he is a Targaryen I think he will accept it pretty well. Now younger jon might have reacted differently but the Jon of Dance is far more level headed and mature

"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it"

Jon will probably go through 4 of the 5 steps of loss(probably rather quickly).

1. Denial

2. Anger

3.Bargaining(will probably skip this step)

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

It also could depend on how Jon finds out.

I'm pretty sure that Ned loves Jon. Of course, it is more obvious how much Jon loves Ned, but I don't think Ned could inspire and influence him so much if he didn't feel that his father truly loved him.

I think Jon will always regard Ned as his "true" father even after learning the truth of his birth (which will probably be a great shock at first, but will help him to know and understand himself better). It was Ned who brought him up, who taught him his values and provided him with a home and a family. Nothing will ever change that.

I imagine he would be upset at first. First at the secret, not being told, but once he calmed down he might realize Ned had reasons and blood aside, he was still his father. Finding out Rhaegar slept with some faceless woman he thought was his Aunt isn't going to change the fact that for Jon Snow, Ned Stark was the one that was there for him his whole life.

Ned loves Jon with all his heart. He might not be Jon's actual father but they share the same Stark blood. And since Lyanna died, Jon has been the only thing left of Ned's sister and Ned also cherishes him for that reason.

Jon loves Ned as his father. He feels deep gratitude because Ned took him in and raised him as his son. He's still a bastard but it could be a lot worse for him. He understands how he affects the dynamics in the Stark family (especially Ned-Catelyn) so he understands how much Ned sacrificed when he brought baby Jon to Winterfell. Jon also considers Ned his role model. He adopts the same moral codes, tries to match his honourability, holds onto the northern values etc. Catelyn even thinks, bitterly, that Jon takes after Ned more than any of his trueborn children.

I think Rhaegar will never be a father to Jon. How could he be, when Jon never knew him? Instead, he grew up hearing very contradictory stories about him. I'm sure that after finding out the truth Jon will first go through a stage of denial. Next, he might feel anger towards Ned for keeping the secret from him and also demonstrate a passive anger towards his "fate" which played out different from what he'd imagined. Then he might move to a more angsty phase until he finally accepts it as it is. He'll forgive Ned quickly because he'll be able to see that Ned had no choice back then. And he'll probably want to find out more about his father. But in the end, I think the Targaryen inheritance will be something that Jon either turns his back on or follows out of duty and not because he wants it. In his heart, he is a Stark.

I've always had the idea that Ned got Ashara Dayne pregnant but had a stillborn son, which was a trauma that added to post-natal depression and the news of the death of her brother at the hands of her lover that made her kill herself. Part of the reason Jon was said to be his bastard son was because Ned wanted a surrogate for the son he lost, as well as to protect his sister's son from enemies and schemers.

Sometimes I feel that Ned loved him more out of obligation and because Lyanna asked him to rather than he loved him like he loved the others. I am most definitely wrong but this is what I feel.

I don't think that is the case.

“Lord Stark,” Jon said. It was strange to hear him call Father that, so formal. Bran looked at him with desperate hope. “There are five pups,” he told Father. “Three male, two female.”

“What of it, Jon?”

“You have five trueborn children,” Jon said. “Three sons, two daughters. The direwolf is the sigil of your House. Your children were meant to have these pups, my lord.”

Bran saw his father’s face change, saw the other men exchange glances. He loved Jon with all his heart at that moment. Even at seven, Bran understood what his brother had done. The count had come right only because Jon had omitted himself. He had included the girls, included even Rickon, the baby, but not the bastard who bore the surname Snow, the name that custom decreed be given to all those in the north unlucky enough to be born with no name of their own.

Their father understood as well. “You want no pup for yourself, Jon?” he asked softly.

“The direwolf graces the banners of House Stark,” Jon pointed out. “I am no Stark, Father.”

Their lord father regarded Jon thoughtfully.

Ned did love Jon, but only because it was his obligation and duty.

He thinks to himself that his lies (jon) have haunted him for years.

He let Jon go to the wall, if I was him I sure as hell wouldn't let Jon go there. Jon even thinks to himself that Ned would have known what the wall was like, and the fact he let him go anyway made it worse.

Ned never thinks of Jon as his son. Never once.

So Ned does love Jon, but not as his son. And it's a love for someone that "haunts" him.

I don't think you can raise a child for years and call him your own without it becoming the truth for you. Ned probably never forgot Jon was his nephew, because of his lie, and because he could never forget Lyanna, but that doesn't mean he didn't feel like Jon's father. Because he was his adoptive father.

And honestly, you don't love children (or other people) only because they share blood with you. My favorite aunt is my aunt because she was married to my uncle, not because we share dna. You love people because some of them are good, and deserve to be loved.

As for Jon, I tried to imagine how I would feel if my mother told me she wasn't my biological mother. Yeah, I don't envy him....

I believe Ned loves Jon as his children. No more than he could tell, which of his own he would prefer to another. That Jon is the child of his sister must mean something. Certainly. He loves Jon as much as his lost sister.

When Jon will learn, he will understand. He will hate Robert for that (and Varys), but no one else. I suppose he will still consider Ned is his father. But of course he will want to learn everything possible about Rhaegar and Lyanna. If the Ghost of High Heart is still there, and Bloodraven ...

Sending Jon to the Wall was the best choice, while Robert lived. If Jon had a child with violet eyes and platinum hair...

Archived