John C. Wright and gender relationships

Nerdanel

I'm kind of impressed. Good job he's just a lone nutter and no-one in government holds similar views, right? Right??

Wright has an adoring fan squad on his blog that keeps lapping up his logorrhea and thinking it's insightful. I could dig up several quotes but I don't think I'll bother. He is also writing a book of Christian apologetics.

Wright didn't use to be just your garden variety atheist - he was a hardcore Ayn Rand fan, much like Terry Goodkind. Wright still agrees with the Objectivists in many things, such as the evilness of Immanuel Kant. So it sounds like he was always like that, just with a different authority figure to base his existence on.

Wright claims to have had multiple visions of Jesus and Virgin Mary and to have received secret messaged that he can't reveal because they are secret. He knows the visions are true because Jesus told him he would judge everyone in the last day, something that isn't all that obscure as far as Biblical knowledge goes and something that was likely told to him earlier by some Christian, but since John C. Wright apparently doesn't believe in the subconscious he is certain the supernatural is the only explanation. Having already wanted to convert to Christianity to the point of praying to God for a sign to believe only makes the whole thing even more miraculous. Imagine: Suffering a heart attack and then surviving it because his wife prayed for him! The condition of his arteries prior to the heart attack and the skills of the doctors who treated him are of course completely irrelevant. Prayer did everything and such a thing definitely couldn't have happened by random chance.

I wonder if Wright is gradually heading to a Dave Sim style meltdown or if he is relatively stable in his crazy thought processes like Card and Goodkind appear to be.

Wright has an adoring fan squad on his blog that keeps lapping up his logorrhea and thinking it's insightful. I could dig up several quotes but I don't think I'll bother. He is also writing a book of Christian apologetics.

Wright didn't use to be just your garden variety atheist - he was a hardcore Ayn Rand fan, much like Terry Goodkind. Wright still agrees with the Objectivists in many things, such as the evilness of Immanuel Kant. So it sounds like he was always like that, just with a different authority figure to base his existence on.

Wright claims to have had multiple visions of Jesus and Virgin Mary and to have received secret messaged that he can't reveal because they are secret. He knows the visions are true because Jesus told him he would judge everyone in the last day, something that isn't all that obscure as far as Biblical knowledge goes and something that was likely told to him earlier by some Christian, but since John C. Wright apparently doesn't believe in the subconscious he is certain the supernatural is the only explanation. Having already wanted to convert to Christianity to the point of praying to God for a sign to believe only makes the whole thing even more miraculous. Imagine: Suffering a heart attack and then surviving it because his wife prayed for him! The condition of his arteries prior to the heart attack and the skills of the doctors who treated him are of course completely irrelevant. Prayer did everything and such a thing definitely couldn't have happened by random chance.

I wonder if Wright is gradually heading to a Dave Sim style meltdown or if he is relatively stable in his crazy thought processes like Card and Goodkind appear to be.

Fuck, I'd take Goodkind over this guy any day. Hell I'd probably take Card. And you know how I feel about good old Orson.

Also, I need to pick me up some Kant it seems.

• 3 years later...

Oh god are the puppies still at it? After their resounding success last year? Ffs. Go chew some slippers and shit on the floor instead, that'd be more welcome.

Hey Min, you should read Ran's thread on the 2015 Hugos. They're not just "at it" -- they actually got people who believe that women do not deserve the right to vote, who think blacks and Muslims are actually subhuman, and who think homosexuals should be subjected to corrective rape, on the ballot this year.

I've just been reading the Vox Day rant Darth Richard was on about (I'm not linking it here because it's just too disgusting but if you really want it it's easy to find). Fucking hell, how does someone completely and utterly horrible have any kind of voice and influence in the genre?

I've just been reading the Vox Day rant Darth Richard was on about (I'm not linking it here because it's just too disgusting but if you really want it it's easy to find). Fucking hell, how does someone completely and utterly horrible have any kind of voice and influence in the genre?

He has influence in the online community which IMO is different than the actual genre as a consumer-producer relationship, and even that is minimal. Best to ignore him, like you would any other silly troll.

PG,

Is that the one where he calls NK Jemisin a "half-savage"? I'd hate to think he has anything worse than that.

That's the one.

It's like... that's the sort of thing that puts me off the idea of absolute freedom of speech. Especially when some people think 'freedom of speech' means that not only is he allowed to say things like that, but that you can't censure him in any way like, for example, kicking him out of a private group.

He has influence in the online community which IMO is different than the actual genre as a consumer-producer relationship, and even that is minimal. Best to ignore him, like you would any other silly troll.

As parochial as one might consider the Hugos, they're a very visible part of the genre, and he's managed to damage them badly.

Archived