John C. Wright and gender relationships

Nerdanel

• Complaining about a paragraph in a Dungeons and Dragons manual that tells players they can play gay or trans characters. When a commenter asked if he was maybe overreacting to a single paragraph in a massive book, he gave a typically hyperbolic response:

• "When a man calmly flicks a very tiny ember from the end of his cigarette into your infant daughter’s eye, think of how many skins cells and internal organs he leave undisturbed."

This guy's "logic" is just a sight to behold.

It's quite hilarious that he explodes over minor stuff seemingly every other day yet can't stop patting himself on the back how calm and rational he is.

oh god i'm reading the comments under that "Complaining" link. So many HATERS OF PC LIBRULISM agreeing with JCW on how sinful and pointless it is to acknowledge that some D&D characters might be gay. Fave so far (amongst a veritable ocean of bilge) is this one:

Women have their strengths, but not a whole lot of them are relevant to wandering around in caves, stabbing monsters in the face, and stealing their stuff.

I dunno, doesn't that sound like... multi-tasking to you? In your face, fantasy gaming gender essentialists!

When the corruption and harlotry was made public, the Leftwing media immediately closed ranks, as they did with President Clinton under similar circumstances, and, unable to defend the adultery-for-favors, merely accused all and sundry of witchcraft, consorting with demons, sodomy, causing storms, and blighting crops and cattle, poisoning wells, and kidnapping children to grind their bones into their bread in their impious and dark rites to glorify Moloch.

I'm confused, I thought the Leftists were in favour of sodomy, witchcraft etc. Why would they then accuse GG of the same...?

Also, criipes I've never seen anyone use "harlot" unironically like this guy.

ETA

"Christian cutie-pies are sexier than sterile pagan dames (because our women are fertile, their rounded breasts engorged with milk, their nubile & callipygious hips able to bear children, whereas pagan women are mannequins, female in name only, barren"

Do..non Christians sprout buds? Are we hydra?

goodness, he crazed.

but: strange bedfellows, that site, whereupon folks run around talking about "dogfuck rapeworld" or something.

Solo, I'm not sure you're crazy enough to look into the depths of SPN fandom. Bakker would be terrified by some of what SPN fandom has come up with.

I think there is definitely some truth to this, though we don't know what kind of dominionist or pre/post rapture millenarian faction is he is part of. At least not that I could tell, but I could only read so much. :ack:
What I suspect is more at play is just straight forward conservatism, the desire to maintain power relations as they are (or were) at least in the imagination. He harps about women and gays instead preaching about charity and forgiveness because he sees the private power of people like him diminishing. Christianity has many messages, he could have chosen otherwise.

take solace that the world appears to him as a continued fall from originary perfection, which perfection included inter alia the subordination of women and the rigid fixation of gender ideology--a continued fall that he and his coreligionists realize that they are powerless to decelerate, partially because it is a necessary fall that christ shall remedy at the end of history. he and his fellows are nevertheless doubly bound to agitate against the fall from originary perfection by what they perceive as scriptural injunctions, which injunctions of course are, but not perceived as, contradictory to the remedial promise of christ (they are accordingly not hypocrites or liars on this point); their perpetual defeat infuriates them. all that is solid melts into air, and they are outraged therefor.

Solo, I'm not sure you're crazy enough to look into the depths of SPN fandom. Bakker would be terrified by some of what SPN fandom has come up with.

Dear, no. Let's stay with John W. Right. Do not descent into SPN fandom, I beg you.

Christianity has many messages, he could have chosen otherwise.

Man could convert, but his character remained as tairy as you can get.

Tyrion's Shrooms,

If Wright is Roman Catholic he shouldn't believe in the "Rapture" at all. That is a very evangelical Protestant dogma, and low church Protestant at that. It is not in keeping with either Roman Catholic or Orthodox theologies.

Tbh though much of his ranting isn't particularly related to even the most bitterly conservative Catholic views, from what I've seen.

Well, at least Bakker looks like a saint compared to the ramblings of this John C. Wright dude. I mean, good grief. Although the fandomfailwiki was entertaining. I had totally forgotten all the drama surrounding Cassandra Clare for instance.

Well, at least Bakker looks like a saint compared to the ramblings of this John C. Wright dude. I mean, good grief. Although the fandomfailwiki was entertaining. I had totally forgotten all the drama surrounding Cassandra Clare for instance.

Cassandra Claire is a monster who wears human skin.

Archived