Kurt Sutter’s Period Drama for FX - 'The Bastard Executioner'

AncalagonTheBlack

I have a hint for you: Use firefox incognito mode. When you used up your 10free  NYT articles, just close and restart the browser to enjoy your next 10 NYT articles :)

I do that, thanx.  I wasn't sure what the protocol was here to mention how to avoid the limit.  So I thought I'd at least warn people.

I thought it was pretty bad and found myself doing a lot of little things to pass the time while it was on in the background.  At one point I looked up and swear I saw a graphic saying the scene was taking place in Inner Pryceshire, hooted in derision and went back to what I was doing.  The whole 'will he be outed' drama takes a much more skilled hand than I have ever seen Sutter employ so I might give it one more week, but I doubt even a brilliant episode can save the mediocrity this has already pretty much carved out as its niche.  And it is coupled with the gratuitous cheap 'try and shock you with what we can do with a sword (or other sharp weapon)' scenes already so...

• 2 months later...

The finale was hilarious.

Usually, cancelled shows don't conclude anything, here it's the exact opposite. They so wanted to satisfy viewers and conclude everything knowing in advance that the show is cancelled that the result is hilariously ridiculous and makes absolutely no sense.

Everyone is nice with everyone else, we're all good guys and buddies and love each other, and ally ourselves against the meanie inquisitors who kidnapped two random people. And of course, the good guy gets the lady in the end.

Those viewing figures were pretty bad. Guess there were a lot of people sticking with SoA out of habit and made a point of avoiding future shows. That or there's little crossover between biker gangs and medieval thugs

Saw today that Sutter has canceled the show, since the low viewer numbers are too depressing for him to keep writing for it.

I watched the first ten minutes of this drivel and concluded the same thing. Too depressingly shitty to watch. 

Those viewing figures were pretty bad. Guess there were a lot of people sticking with SoA out of habit and made a point of avoiding future shows. That or there's little crossover between biker gangs and medieval thugs

Yeah, didn't check to see if my other posts where still in the thread, but the show got beat by pretty much everything, including repeats of shit shows.

I have never seen a show fail on so many levels in my life...  FX should be ashamed... AMC would have never put this piece of garbage on the air... if this gets a second season I'd be shocked

Me too, especially considering it's already been canceled. :P

Sadly, his ego won't go anywhere. Can't wait for his next show starring Katy Segal...

Wasn't their a rumour of a prequel show? She could play the same character that way and everyone could ignore the age differenc. Or she plays the character's mum? With Sutter anything is possible.

I have never seen a show fail on so many levels in my life...  FX should be ashamed... AMC would have never put this piece of garbage on the air... if this gets a second season I'd be shocked

To be fair SoA was garbage at various points but had great ratings so I can understand why FX took a chance on the show. Even if crap they are happy with a crappy ratings winner.

I'm pretty sure AMC would screen a season of anything by the Mad Men/Breaking Bad creators and just hope the audience would be there too. I mean, they allowed that Walking Dead spin off to be made so I wouldn't put them on a pedestal,

I have been able to sit through the entire season and honestly, I was glad it was done. I couldn't have handled second season. The idiocy of faux-pregnancy (seriously, no one thought of advising Baroness of actually getting pregnant with someone?) was something that made me believe someone truly dropped the ball (if they ever had it) regarding this...

So, goodbye Chris Hemsworth-look alike and the worst role Matthew Rhys had in ages (Can you imagine going from the set of The Americans to THIS? What was he thinking?)

I have been able to sit through the entire season and honestly, I was glad it was done. I couldn't have handled second season. The idiocy of faux-pregnancy (seriously, no one thought of advising Baroness of actually getting pregnant with someone?) was something that made me believe someone truly dropped the ball (if they ever had it) regarding this...

So, goodbye Chris Hemsworth-look alike and the worst role Matthew Rhys had in ages (Can you imagine going from the set of The Americans to THIS? What was he thinking?)

Nice to see the recycling of plots. That one was so well executed/received in SoA too.

As for the second question I suspect the answer was simply "paid vacation to visit friends and family back in his homeland". Like Liam Neeson said "sometimes you do a film for the art, sometimes you do it for the money".

It's a shame they never managed to have an even worse third season where they travelled to America to escape the King's Knights and find a missing child who'd been kidnapped by Native Americans. It doesn't matter that they hadn't discovered it. The title music could have been performed by native american musical instruments (and Katey Sagal could have sung the song)

Episodes started piling up on my DVR and when I realized I wasn't looking forward to watching them, I went ahead and deleted them all. Then I found out a day or so later that the show had been cancelled, so good riddance. 

Something I will say is that I think that the setting, Wales and the Welsh Marches in the medieval period, is a good one for story telling. Using the era of Edward II is a bit of a puzzler, but could have worked well enough. I would have gone back a few decades a least, but whatever. Anyway, I hope a good writer and a good production team revisit this setting at some point. 

Edward I's reign and era are GREAT for a television series.  Which is when this series was set, I'd thought, but I never watched it, so maybe I'm wrong,and not for the first time.

Actually all eras would make good series temporal locations for historical drama.  :)

Archived