Fargo- the TV series

Baitac

Last week - we saw Gus a year later, now a mailman. Did anyone mention how he became a mailman? Just before that, he was calling Molly and mentioned the hearing about the shootings was coming up. I assume he got fired from the force for shooting Molly? Did I miss a reference?

This is kind-of-sort-of answered in the movie version of Fargo. Marge and Norm decided they couldn't both be cops and raise a family, and Margie was the better officer, so...

I've seen the first four and it's an odd one - there's so many aspects of it that I love from the tone, direction and characters to BBT's stellar performance but there's something missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. It could be that it's so oddball I haven't settled into the groove quite yet.

Can't fault the production at all - one of the slickest TV shows around and there's a lot of great shows these days.

Yesterday's episode was marvelously tense. I liked it.

But is was also disappointing.

It's not just that the series now revolves around one of Hollywood's favorite cliches -- that going from meek to amoral & ruthless always makes a person fantastically successful. It's that literally the greatest show in television in the last decade had that EXACT plot in a more fleshed out manner. And also the show's penchant for throwing together constant and remarkable coincidences is so Breaking Bad derivative that I feel myself rolling my eyes. Hey. Didn't I just get through watching the long version of this?

I loved last night's episode. Thought it was absolutely brilliant, especially that first half or so in Vegas.

[ignorant Young Person Question] Out of curiosity, can someone really go from almost totally dark hair to completely white in a single year? I honestly have no clue but I'd assumed it would take a little longer and be more gradual. Or are we to assume that perhaps Lorne was dyeing his hair before?

Billy Bob Thornton has grey hair, so I assume he dyed his hair for the previous episodes (or wore a wig - the wigs they wear on GoT and on The Americans are amazing, so it could be a wig) and is now showing his natural hair colour, or his hair has been dyed or bleached to lighten it a bit.

The comparison between Lester and Walter White doesn't work for me at all. Lester, at heart, never really changed. He's a coward of the highest order -- the only thing that's changed are the lengths he'll go to save his own skin, and his utter disregard for everyone else in that effort. It's displayed pretty prominently in last night's episode, twice actually. First, in the elevator with Malvo and the other folks. Lester answers "yes"...only to go and change his mind at the last moment and run away. I actually think Malvo was testing him there, seeing if he was "for real" (note how after shooting Stephen Root and the two woman, he takes on an almost jovial persona with Lester with a tinge of camaraderie, asking him to "help move the body"). Would Malvo have killed Lester afterwards? Maybe. But then maybe not. Look at Malvo's reaction to the deaf hitman -- a major liability to himself -- yet he showed him a sort of respect and even freed him. So if Lester had really been all for it, if he really meant YES when he said it, then things might have turned out differently. But Lester still isn't a man or ape in the sense that Malvo means it -- he's still just a giant coward. And he proves it supremely by his actions in letting his new wife go into the new office instead of him.

Billy Bob Thornton has grey hair, so I assume he dyed his hair for the previous episodes (or wore a wig - the wigs they wear on GoT and on The Americans are amazing, so it could be a wig) and is now showing his natural hair colour, or his hair has been dyed or bleached to lighten it a bit.

I was thinking more of the "in-universe" explanation. I mean can someone actually dye their hair to look like that kind of white? It seemed more like that was his natural hair color (which it is, in the real world), and that his hair from before was a disguise. Then again, Malvo strikes me as the type of person who is perpetually "in disguise" of some sort.

Does this show have anything to do with the movie?.... Or is just the setting the same? ... All I hear is good things.

It is mostly its own entity, but there are some connections. The ties to the movie come more from just a general style/tone (and in the end, I suspect theme).

Hell, most of the show doesn't even take place in Fargo, does it? What connection does Fargo even have to the plot anymore? Lester, Molly, and co. are all in Bemidji, correct?

It is mostly its own entity, but there are some connections. The ties to the movie come more from just a general style/tone (and in the end, I suspect theme).

Hell, most of the show doesn't even take place in Fargo, does it? What connection does Fargo even have to the plot anymore? Lester, Molly, and co. are all in Bemidji, correct?

Most of the movie takes place in Minnesota as well. Fargo is just where Jerry goes to meet the kidnappers at the beginning. The majority of the movie is in Brainerd and Minneapolis.

ETA 2:

Holy fucking shit, I didn't think Lester could get any scummier, but he's the lowest of the low!

Poor Linda!

It gets better!

Take closer look at the scene when Lester prints the plane ticket to Acapulco. The son of a bitch bought single one-way ticket for a single person. He never planned to take her with him, and I can't think of a way he could've ditched her. To me, that means that even of Malvo hadn't been at the office, Lester was still planing to murder Linda on the way to the airport.

It gets better!

Take closer look at the scene when Lester prints the plane ticket to Acapulco. The son of a bitch bought single one-way ticket for a single person. He never planned to take her with him, and I can't think of a way he could've ditched her. To me, that means that even of Malvo hadn't been at the office, Lester was still planing to murder Linda on the way to the airport.

Nice catch! I completely missed that... Wow, what a colossal creep.

Archived