Fargo- the TV series

Baitac

I just finished watching the finale, and I am on a really similar page as Relic. I think the show tried to explore reasoning for violence and failed. That is not to take away from any of the performances. Billy Bob has earned awards already for this show, and he should earn more.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished watching the finale, and I am on a really similar page as Relic. I think the show tried to explore reasoning for violence and failed. That is not to take away from any of the performances. Billy Bob has earned awards already for this show, and he should earn more.

Well the whole shebang got nominated for Emmys so you may yet get your wish. :)

Nothing told in the movie is necessary to enjoy the series, there's one thing from the movie that fills in the back story of one character a bit, but it's still not 100% necessary to know the whole story of it from the movie.

Mainly what's fun about watching Fargo the movie and then the tv series is to see how they rhyme with one another.

Eh, perhaps it's better I try and get a hold of the movie then. I'm not a big fan of Billy Bob, which is really the only reason I haven't watched the show as of yet but it comes very highly recommended.

Overall I enjoyed the show a lot. I think my main problem was in how much I hated Lester. Although I appreciated how they made me hate him even more when he got a spine. I don't think i've hated a character quite so much as him at the point where he says "put your hood up". I thought he'd hit a low putting a gun in his nephew's school bag but killing his second wife was a whole new level. Good job by Freeman in evolving a character from his standard "I'm a cowardly clutz" routine to a vicious bastard.

That wasn't my only disconnect with the show though. It often felt like it was a collection of really slick scenes intermingled with other stuff. I'm sure there was a point to the mundane and the extraordinary but a lot of the times they felt pretty separate entities.

BBT was excellent throughout though. And David Carradine reminded me of why he should be on screen more - he was excellent throughout and the way he handled the Malvo meeting was sublime.

Unfortunately, Netflix is not an option this side of the world. I think it's on the local itunes store though, might give that a try instead.

The movie is a perfect Coen brothers film. Billy Bob was excellent in this series. He deserved to be nominated. Give the series a chance.

Overall I enjoyed the show a lot. I think my main problem was in how much I hated Lester. Although I appreciated how they made me hate him even more when he got a spine. I don't think i've hated a character quite so much as him at the point where he says "put your hood up". I thought he'd hit a low putting a gun in his nephew's school bag but killing his second wife was a whole new level. Good job by Freeman in evolving a character from his standard "I'm a cowardly clutz" routine to a vicious bastard.

That wasn't my only disconnect with the show though. It often felt like it was a collection of really slick scenes intermingled with other stuff. I'm sure there was a point to the mundane and the extraordinary but a lot of the times they felt pretty separate entities.

BBT was excellent throughout though. And David Carradine reminded me of why he should be on screen more - he was excellent throughout and the way he handled the Malvo meeting was sublime.

Great post, I agree throughout although David Carradine is deceased. It was his brother Kieth in the role

Great post, I agree throughout although David Carradine is deceased. It was his brother Kieth in the role

Yeah I haven't seen Keith in much after Deadwood. He had that promising role in Dexter but that story was thrown out quickly. He seems to play that wise old man role to a tee.

Just finished this. I don't quite get the criticisms at it.. I thought this was a fine show and one of the best on TV this year. Perhaps being able to marathon it gave me a different experience from watching it in real time. The dark humor really kept me entertained though and kept me from asking too many questions. The only thing that really stood out was the fish storm. I thought Malvo orchestrated that as well, which as implausible as that would have been to pull off, is still more plausible than a fish storm explanation. Still, the idea that the Grocer King's innocent firstborn died in yet another Biblical plague had me in stitches with the morbidity of it all. I was actually smiling during that scene.

Allison Tolman stole the show for me. I also loved when Martin Freeman sets his wife up to be killed. I don't think I've hated or despised a character as much as him in that scene. The entire supporting cast was great too.. from the daughter, to Molly's dad, to Dennis from It's Always Sunny, to Key and Peele... great job all around. I never would have expected Key and Peele or Dennis to be in something like this.

I don't think this show can be compared with True Detective. It's too apples and oranges for me. The ending for Fargo was more satisfying than True Detective's. Tough awards season all around though.

ETA: And the story of the glove, I guess, is about two different kinds of people, the first are people who would try to make the best of things and leave a pair of gloves for someone else on the platform, and the second kind who would keep the orphan glove and be angry and curse the world for the dropped mate.

See that's the scene where Lester tries to get Salverson to explain why she thinks he's such a bad person, capable of committing these evil acts. I took Salverson's reply meaning that by himself, Lester was nothing and largely useless. As useless as having just a single glove. But together with Malvo, Lester is as every bit a monster as Malvo is. Together these two make themselves a perfectly complimentary pair deserving of each other. So Molly lets Lester go, to be re-united with his other half.

Also, while not exactly subtle, Lester dying by running on thin ice was hilarious. Very satisfying ending.

Just finished this. I don't quite get the criticisms at it.. I thought this was a fine show and one of the best on TV this year. Perhaps being able to marathon it gave me a different experience from watching it in real time.

<snipped for length>

Also, while not exactly subtle, Lester dying by running on thin ice was hilarious. Very satisfying ending.

Nice points! Nice analysis!

Yeah this was quite a good show. A bit weird how it's nominated under the mini series category, but True Detective is a full series.

Anyway, after some hesitation I saw the movie finally. And wow, is it ever great. Better than the show? Probably, but it's tough for me to say because they're totally different mediums. It certainly set a good impression when I heard the score - turns out my favourite bit from the show is the opening theme of the movie!

Yeah this was quite a good show. A bit weird how it's nominated under the mini series category, but True Detective is a full series.

I don't think series vs mini-series has anything to do with length specifically (otherwise anything made in the UK would be a miniseries) I think the difference is the intention to continue on afterwards . For example they wanted to make a second series of TD from the get go so its a series where as shows like Generation Kill were meant to have their run and then be over and done with

Archived