Formula 1 - 2015 Ferrari Rising

The BlackBear

Hmm. Aston Martin rumoured to be in talks to team up with Red Bull and run Mercedes engines next year.

Maybe not as crazy as it sounds. The same people involved also set up Red Bull's deal with Infiniti during their heyday. Running Mercedes engines sounds like a bit of a risk - Red Bull have previously said that they (like McLaren) didn't believe that customer engines can win world championships - but with Renault apparently losing the plot I can see them trying something different next year.

Interesting. I still think people forget its the Mercedes package that puts them ahead and not just the engine. If that was the case then all the other mercedes engines should be lining up in running order but Ferrari and Red Bull have both been ahead of the other mercedes engine teams at various points. Although it does look like Force India have made some changes to help out. There's no doubt the mercedes engine is the most powerful but the aerodynamics etc must also be key. Unless the mercedes engine for mercedes is a better version than that of the other teams? I've no idea if that could be the case or not.

Unless the mercedes engine for mercedes is a better version than that of the other teams? I've no idea if that could be the case or not.

They were talking about this on the BBC commentary during the race. Apparently the engines delivered to the different customer teams are meant to be the same that the works team get, but DC speculated that since the engine units are so complex nowadays the Mercedes team may benefit from having greater knowledge about how to get the best out of the engine.

They were talking about this on the BBC commentary during the race. Apparently the engines delivered to the different customer teams are meant to be the same that the works team get, but DC speculated that since the engine units are so complex nowadays the Mercedes team may benefit from having greater knowledge about how to get the best out of the engine.

Sounds devious to give them the same engine but not the complete set of instructions. Although I can also see why an engine/team would would be reluctant to level the playing field. It's different with Honda and Renault who don't actually own teams - so it's in their interest to give everyone the same quality engine but with Mercedes and Ferrari I can imagine they keep the best version for themselves (or the cheat sheet to get the optimal performance out of the same engine)

• 2 weeks later...

That's terrible news about Bianchi, R.I.P. :(

The fact that he was still in a coma after so many months suggested he might never recover but it's still a shock. I think he had the potential to be a great driver and it's tragic we'll never get the chance to see what he can do.

Well, that was a very entertaining race, which I hadn't necessarily expected before it started. Hamilton must be wondering how after so many things went wrong for him that he ended up apologising to his team about 2/3 of the way through he's actually managed to extend his World Championship lead, and Rosberg must be wondering how he let so good an opportunity get away. I feel a bit sorry for Kimi, with his place under threat the last thing he needed was a mechanical problem when he was sitting in a reasonably comfortable second place. 5th was a good result for Alonso, although this might be as good as it gets for McLaren this year. The stewards might have been the busiest people at the race track, there seemed to be a lot of penalties, some of which didn't even involve Pastor Maldonado.

Feel a bit sorry for Rosberg since one relatively minor mistake and he managed to finish behind Hamilton who made several pretty major ones, but it's all about timing - and he hadn't exactly made the most of the opportunity before then anyway.

When is Maldonado going to be banned from the sport?

Can't say nothing happened in that race! Hamilton was actually very lucky in the end because a lot of the things that went wrong were of his own making. I'm still amazed that he hasn't matured to the point where he realises he doesn't have to make up a lost position within a lap (but it makes it entertaining to watch as he digs himself out of his own hole). I do feel sorry for Rosberg though with his "slow and steady" approach coming undone at the end. I feel worse for Kimi though as he really could have done with that second place result when the entire paddock seem to be talking of who's replacing him next year. Hopefully Ferrari will remember his performance here and even moreso, Kimi might start put races like this in for the rest of the season.

It's funny how Vettel basically ran one of his old Red Bull races. Leading from start to finish. Yet he thoroughly deserved it. Even when I think there was a good chance he was actually in the best car again for this track. I wonder what it is about warm tracks and Ferrari's increased performance/Mercedes weaker performance?

• 4 weeks later...

Another interesting race, despite Hamilton's total dominance. Vettel's inexplicable rage at his exploding tyre - entirely his and the team's fault after being told that one stopping would almost certainly not work - was monumentally entertaining, and full credit for Pirelli's incredibly restrained response. Solid result for Red Bull, a real shame for Button (though his observational commentary on what the other drivers were doing as they sailed past was amusing) and great stuff from Perez.

Drive of the race was easily Grosjean, and it was horrible that he got on the podium, the team were going nuts with joy, and then the bailiffs showed up to start impounding the team's equipment. I hope they get the problems sorted for Monza, if they can repeat this performance there they might have Renault showing up with the chequebook and being willing to buy the team there and then.

Vettel's inexplicable rage at his exploding tyre - entirely his and the team's fault after being told that one stopping would almost certainly not work - was monumentally entertaining, and full credit for Pirelli's incredibly restrained response.

Not quite inexplicable: The tyres were supposed to last 40 laps (recommendation from Pirelli to Ferrari, before the race), but this one exploded after 28, without signs of going off. There was no indication off Rosberg's tyre going off either. So the drivers, not just Vettel, are concerned that there are structural flaws in these tyres, and that nothing is done about them.

• 2 months later...

I think by this stage Fernando may as well be treating the season as a set of short holidays to exotic locations.

I did like him and Jenson invading the podium as well.

It's a shame how the best driver hasn't really had the best car for possibly the duration of his career (I'm trying to recall whether Renault was that dominant in those seasons?). The real shame is he's probably going to be past his best if he ever has a decent car again. A real loss for the sport that he left Ferarri but it didn't seem such a bad idea at the time. I wonder if they didn't realise the new engine was going to be such an improvement or if they just failed to communicate this to Alonso?

AS usual I find it hard to care about races once the championship is over. Rosberg performs when it no longer matters - whoop de doo. I'll watch the highlights later on.

To anyone in the London vicinity:

I have a spare ticket to the Race of Champions, Friday session only.  It's at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford - some more details at http://www.raceofchampions.com/. Gates open from 5pm and the action starts at 6.30pm (expected end at around 11pm). Ticket is totally free to whoever asks for it first: the only catch is you have to sit not too far from an excitable pregnant novelist.

To anyone in the London vicinity:

I have a spare ticket to the Race of Champions, Friday session only.  It's at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford - some more details at http://www.raceofchampions.com/. Gates open from 5pm and the action starts at 6.30pm (expected end at around 11pm). Ticket is totally free to whoever asks for it first: the only catch is you have to sit not too far from an excitable pregnant novelist.

Hi Zoe, I think I might be interested in that. It's been a long time since I've watched the Race of Champions on TV (I don't know if they even still televise it?) but I remember it being entertaining to see the F1 drivers in a less serious environment. I think it's relatively easy to get from Cambridge to Kings Cross to Stratford.

Hi Zoe, I think I might be interested in that. It's been a long time since I've watched the Race of Champions on TV (I don't know if they even still televise it?) but I remember it being entertaining to see the F1 drivers in a less serious environment. I think it's relatively easy to get from Cambridge to Kings Cross to Stratford.

Cool. It's twenty-one minutes from KX to Stratford by tube, or six minutes from St Pancras to Stratford International by high speed rail...

Archived