‘The Last Kingdom’ - based on Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon series

AncalagonTheBlack

Yes, that's sadly one of the things that got lost on the show due to being unable to have actors that grow progressively. They had to make a clear time jump to switch actors, and move things to when Uthred is an adult.

Spoiler

Which meant killing his family waaayyy too early :(

I received the impression that Aethelwold was passed over by the witten because they honestly understood he wasn't fit to lead -- too flighty, among other failures, that went far beyond his lack of self control when it comes to booze and broads.  It comes through in other ways as well.

One of the elements I miss personally not being included is the silver or gold bands, bracelets -- what are they called? -- that a leader awards a man for valor and courageous action in battle. In the books Uhtred talks about his all the time.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I received the impression that Aethelwold was passed over by the witten because they honestly understood he wasn't fit to lead -- too flighty, among other failures, that went far beyond his lack of self control when it comes to booze and broads.  It comes through in other ways as well.  But it makes for an entertaining fool, if, in the eyes of many, including the ruling family, an appalling one, as we saw with the tits crawl of penance / penitance.  He also is clever in that way -- this is also Alfred's great temptation to sin.

One of the elements I miss personally not being included is the silver or gold bands, bracelets -- what are they called? -- that a leader awards a man for valor and courageous action in battle. In the books Uhtred talks about his all the time.

18 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Arm rings?

Thanks! -- arm rings it is! Torcs are neck pieces, but when it comes to what the 'ring giver' gives out -- here --

The king or overlord gave out arm-rings or neck-rings to promote valor and fighting for land and king. The individual who received the ring was honored by his fellow soldiers. These rings worn on either arm or neck, gave the wearer recognition and instant envy in others. They were symbols of strength and courage; there must have been many attempts to steal such objects of monetary and social value. However, it is doubtful that the brave men who received such awards ever gave the opportunity to lose their trophies.

I'm holding out hope for Steapa in S2.... I would really like them to slow the story down and not skim through the books like they've been doing... The show is fantastic, but it could be even better --IMO-- if they set events up with more storytelling.... better explain *why* Uthred does what he does...

24 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Still two books?

I'm not sure if they've said but IMO Lords of the North could be fluffed up as an entire season.

Plus books 3&4 don't really flow together as 1&2 do, in fact I'm pretty sure there's a few year time skip between them.

32 minutes ago, burt_wahlberg said:

Anyone in here have any idea what the time period is on this?

looks 17 - 1800ish but Im not sure.

Have you got anything without spam?

19 hours ago, burt_wahlberg said:

Anyone in here have any idea what the time period is on this?

looks 17 - 1800ish but Im not sure.

I'm guessing you already have the answers to all these random questions you keep asking in different threads about that, since you're probably the one who made it. Make a thread and tell people what you're trying to promote instead of trying to trick people.

On 13-7-2016 at 7:43 PM, Zorral said:

Alfred 

As a huge Alfred fan, you might be interested to know that David Dawson has a role in BBC's latest series, The Secret Agent based on the eponymous Joseph Conrad story. I don't know if it's a recurring part, but he was on point again. 

4 hours ago, Veltigar said:

As a huge Alfred fan, you might be interested to know that David Dawson has a role in BBC's latest series, The Secret Agent based on the eponymous Joseph Conrad story. I don't know if it's a recurring part, but he was on point again. 

Which alas I shall not see until who knows when!

• 1 month later...

More season 2 cast announced:

Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson as Sverri (Hakur played Lem Lemoncloak on GoT)
    Richard Rankin (Outlander S2)
    Björn Bengtsson as Sigefrid
    Magnus Samuelsson as Clapa
    Henrik Lundström
    Marc Rissmann as Tekil
    Christopher Sciueref as Jonis

Previously announced S2 cast: Thure Lindhardt (“The Bridge”), Millie Brady (“Legend”), and Peter McDonald (“Thirteen”)

Season 2 Set Photos

I'd really like to know who will play Guthred and Ivarr.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Björn Bengtsson as Sigefrid

Hmm, that does seem to point out that book 4 (Sword Song) will be adapted too. So they'll continue with 1 season = 2 books.

Unless there's another Sigefrid in The Lords of the North that I forgot about?

Archived