Comics XI: Modok's 11

Sci-2

Can I also ask for a recommendation?

These Avengers films have gotten me interested in picking up some of the better runs of say, the last 10 years.

On Amazon I spotted collections like these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785190406/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OLSJR8OXYM1W&coliid=I17A9QG6L4ZZCC

Avengers: Rage of Ultron

Avengers Volume 5: Adapt or Die

New Avengers Volume 1: Everything Dies

Avengers: Time Runs Out

Any of these worth recommending? I'm interested in the crew you see in the Avengers film but also in any new crews that have good storylines.

I didn't like Rage of Ultron, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Both of the other Avengers trades are stories that are in the middle of a writer's run, so you wouldn't understand a lot of what was going on.

New Avengers v1 has a pretty good story (which starts the story you read in those Avengers trades), but well, look at the title. The story it starts is quite possibly the bleakest superhero tale of all time, so if you're just starting on Avengers, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for you, at least for now.

Also, keep in mind that the Hulk was one of the original Avengers members, but he left at issue #4, in 1964 and only returned after the movie, and Black Widow was really gone from the Avengers books more often than she was in (the other 4 were all key members, though) so you shouldn't expect to see the original six from the movies together.

That said, if you want to start with Avengers, I recommend starting with Kurt Busiek's run- there's an omnibus of it, if I'm not mistaken, and anyway shouldn't be hard to find. It also has what's the ultimate Ultron story.

That said, if you want to start with Avengers, I recommend starting with Kurt Busiek's run- there's an omnibus of it, if I'm not mistaken, and anyway shouldn't be hard to find. It also has what's the ultimate Ultron story.

Yes, there's an omni of Busiek/Perez Avengers that's just come out (first omni of I forget how many), and that gives you a really good feel of what an actual Avengers book is like before Bendis mucked it up. They had elections! Membership cards, and active vs. emeritus!

Black Widow is a character who got a lot of awesome 80s development that was derailed by the general awfulness of much of 90s Marvel, and has now been consigned to movie hell.

Hulk is a classic member of the Defenders.

How do you feel about reading them on a tablet or computer? Because if you're okay with that, you can read all of it for just $10 with a Marvel Unlimited subscription.

It does look interesting. I'd probably watch them at my desktop as it would be small on the phone and I don't use a tablet ( yet).

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

So I see it's $ 10 a month, and you can go through their entire catalogue? I'm reading up on Thanos stories and they would all be in there I imagine? Annihilation and Thanos Imperative for instance are out of print in paper on Amazon.

So I see it's $ 10 a month, and you can go through their entire catalogue? I'm reading up on Thanos stories and they would all be in there I imagine? Annihilation and Thanos Imperative for instance are out of print in paper on Amazon.

Unlimited doesn't have literally everything, but most of what's missing is older (pre ~2000?) stuff, so Annihilation and everything that follows is in there.

Avengers: Rage of Ultron

New Avengers Volume 1: Everything Dies

I liked both of these. The first is standalone, the latter however is part of a multi-year run where part of story is in Avengers proper and part in Avengers World.

That latter story has culminated in a massive event [this summer] that I at least am wary of.

Meta-spoiler:

Also, if you don't like time travel tricks Hickman's New Avengers ultimate reveal will be disappointing.

As a side note titles like New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, and so on end up being about different teams & stories depending on who is writing.

Silver Surfer 11 was excellent. It's the kind of kick-up-the-ass I needed with my comics and it's great to see some creators having real fun witht the medium. This one also probably works far better as a comic than a digital one too. If the rest of the series is this interesting then I probably need to go back and find some of the earlier run.

So, Hickman's run on Avengers is over. I'm so looking forward to re-reading the entire thing. I'm actually quite pleased with the conclusions, as I feel like I can vaguely piece together what we just witnessed...but, a re-read is absolutely required at some point.

The Rahul Album reveal was, IMO, a let down. There was some short-changing of certain narratives as well, though this seems less Hickman (minus that waste of space time jump crap) and more editorial.

All that said, I remain excited for Secret Wars proper....and possibly some of the tie-ins. (DAMN YOU MARVEL, YOU GOT ME)

Unlimited doesn't have literally everything, but most of what's missing is older (pre ~2000?) stuff, so Annihilation and everything that follows is in there.

Cool, I think I might subscribe to that.

Cool, I think I might subscribe to that.

I think it's a pretty awesome service. It actually spurred me to buy a tablet for myself, instead of constantly borrowing my wife's for the sole purpose of reading comics.

But, as I have been reading through New Avengers and Mighty Avengers (currently at the Secret Invasion storyline with both) one thing has really started to bug me... when did it become trendy to start doing comic book covers that have nothing to do with the story inside the comic? That is so annoying.

I think it's a pretty awesome service. It actually spurred me to buy a tablet for myself, instead of constantly borrowing my wife's for the sole purpose of reading comics.

But, as I have been reading through New Avengers and Mighty Avengers (currently at the Secret Invasion storyline with both) one thing has really started to bug me... when did it become trendy to start doing comic book covers that have nothing to do with the story inside the comic? That is so annoying.

It's nothing new - it goes way back. It could be happening more frequently now? I think one of the excuses is that the cover art is sometimes scheduled in advance and the story changes a little. I guess in most shops you can flick through the book to check they aren't lying.

I disagree with that because in hindsight I don't see how it could have been anyone but Doom. Be a brand new character would have made the reveal pointless, and we all know from the start Doom would have a key part to play.

I guess I'd be more okay with it if there were more hints. I get that Rabum Alal (sp?) means "Great Destroyer"/"Great Destruction" which is basically "Doom".

But outside of that I never felt like there was enough foreshadowing. It seems even if you read the original Secret Wars you couldn't figure this stuff out.

Secret Wars FCBD didn't do much to convince me to give it a shot. Weirdly there weren't any ads for the battleworld series, or are we meant to get through secret wars before those series start?

The attack on titan FCBD was interesting. I'm more an anime fan than manga fan but the range of stories reminds me of how adventurous Japan is with the comic format.

Heh I forgot about FCBD.

I'm both excited by and wary of Secret Wars II. On the one hand the initial ideas Hickman gave us were really interesting, but there were some missteps along the way (whether by him or editorial) that made the story lose a lot of momentum.

Really Image has so much good stuff coming out at this point I'm not sure if the Big Two are worth it.

So, Secret Wars #1 happened and was glorious. Or depressing. Or both.

Frank Castle steals the show. I'm definitively picking that last days tie-in, should be interesting.

The first X-man is the last mutant (unless Franklin survived, which again is pretty likely considering he's Franklin Richards). But looks like he wanted to go stop the 1610 incursion rather than going into the raft.

Looking forward to see where this goes, and should be noticed there's no one there from the Age of Ultron movie, IIRC. Ballsy move if true.

Heh I forgot about FCBD.

I'm both excited by and wary of Secret Wars II. On the one hand the initial ideas Hickman gave us were really interesting, but there were some missteps along the way (whether by him or editorial) that made the story lose a lot of momentum.

Really Image has so much good stuff coming out at this point I'm not sure if the Big Two are worth it.

I'll probably try and embark on an Avengers run through now his run is almost over. I was doing well until the space crossover happened.

I've been catching up on Spidey and have to say the Spiderverse is really fun. I also have to concede that Silk and Spider-gwen are good fun too.

I'm pleased there's enough other stuff out there for phased-out superhero readers to remain entertained. It's a good time to be a reader of american comics (even if I have an issue with events and crossovers from the big2).

Just finished volume 3 of Scalped and while the other two trades were good this one was a step up. I'm starting to understand the rave reviews that were out at the time. I guess this was essentially Vertigo's last hurrah?

If bleeding cools rumour about post secret wars X-men turns out to be true

all mutants will be on a different planet because terrigen mist kills them

then I'd certainly rather have them done in a separate universe. It's so stupid it could be true though.

then I'd certainly rather have them done in a separate universe. It's so stupid it could be true though.

:bang: WTF? Sounds ridiculous.

The sample for Injection that was in all the Image titles this week peeked my interest. It's by Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey. I thought their brief run on Moon Knight was great, so I'm looking forward to see them work together some more. It's being described as having shades of horror, sci-fi, and crime drama.

Apparently Ellis told Shalvey to compile everything he adores in various media and he had "sci-fi, crime, and Deadwood" on his list.

This sounds right up my alley.

That is for real one of the dumbest fucking ideas I've ever heard of.

Archived