The "Handsome Young Man" (Show Spoilers)

TheRoseWithThorns

I think the idea of Littlefinger working with the Faith Militant is pretty ridiculous. I think he is smart enough to stay the F*** away. Like others have said, Lancel was not his to give and the High Sparrow has been playing Cersi the whole time. He did need to get her into the Sept so he could get her into custody though.

Gendry.

I'm pretty sure Lancel told the High Sparrow about his sins at the beginning.

The High Sparrow has been playing Cersei this entire time.

And how would he know where Gendry is if he was smuggled precisely to never be found by Mel who for some reason can insta travel and track the BwB with no trouble?

He was referring to Lancel just to explain clearly where did the HS got his info instead of the torturing of Osmund Kettleback... To justify the presence of two characters who had nothing to do in Kings Landing in the first place.

Let's look at possible options:

1. Lancel - this is the simplest solution, but on closer examination this does not work: I agree that Lancel is not for Littlefinger to give;

He must have confessed his sins long ago, otherwise it would be a very bizarre and unrealistic writing: Lancel becomes "born again", participates if pogroms organised by Faith, but keeps his sins for himslef, until immoral Littlefinger tips off Tyrells / High Septon about those? Would not the Faith punish Lancel for keeping his sins for himself for so long? High Septon says that a young man came to him...

2. Olyvar - this could work, if LF gets him murdered or he changes the testimony, but why would they trust a 2nd testimony more thn the 1st? Anyway I believe Olyvar still seems more logical than Lancel.

3. Robin Arryn - I understand "A handsome Young Man" is an expression, but somehow I can not see sweetobin quolifying as one... besides whats his use for Tyrells? some said they are goung to crown him - I am sorry but this does not work - Robin has no ZERO claim to the Iron Throne - there is no way they can crown him without a huge civil war/confusion in the country, besides even if they succeed in this conspiracy - this is a long term process - bringing army of Arryn, slaughtering people in KL, etc... How exactly is this going to help Loras and Margery? They are the priority for Olenna, not the Iron Throne. LF is offering her a gift that will help her to save/iprove the situation of her grandchildren, and Robin Arryn is definitely of little help when it comes to pending trial. If they hope he will bring the Army of Vale to scare the Faith… well the Tyrells have even bigger Army but High Septon seems not to care…

4. Gendry - this could work if he is used (in combination with the Genealogy Book from Season One) to prove Sersei's relations with Jaime, and to dethtone Tommen - but again - I can not seehow this can help Olenna to save/help Loras and Margery here and now.

5. fAegon - whell, if suddenly the faith becomes very supportive of fAegon (why?) then after getting the crown he could help Loras and Margery by Royal decree, crackdown on the church, etc but is not it too complicated? If Tommen is unable to attack the Faith today, whill the newly crowned fAegon able to do it Tomorrow?

6. Jon, Ramsey, Greyjoys and Essos gang are too far away to matter at this point.

So, in conclusion, it seems to me it is either Lancel (making the writing sloppy), Olyvar (there is still hope they can come up with a logical explanation/justification) or someone we totally do not expect…The Mountain maybe?????

The same gift i gave cercei a handsome young man.

1. LF Has struck an alliance with doran securing jamies release

2. The price of that is trystane marrying margery.

LF fits into his kingmaker role again.

Also i dont see anyother way that jamie leaves peacefully.

The whole arresting cercei was simply the HS flexibg his muscle.

4. Gendry - this could work if he is used (in combination with the Genealogy Book from Season One) to prove Sersei's relations with Jaime, and to dethtone Tommen - but again - I can not seehow this can help Olenna to save/help Loras and Margery here and now.

I don't think that LF will play the incest card bringing Gendry into the game because then Stannis would be king. Tommen and the Tyrells would loose their claim immediatly.

And i think Olenna knows what it means if the accusation of incest comes true. So you can't really call this a gift in this situation.

Olyvar - this could work, if LF gets him murdered or he changes the testimony, but why would they trust a 2nd testimony more thn the 1st? Anyway I believe Olyvar still seems more logical than Lancel.

They don't need to believe his testimony. Once he changes his story and casts at least some doubt on his original testimony, he will be useless as a witness. The Faith will no longer consider what he has to say as evidence. His confession is no longer pure, in other words. I do think they will torture him, and probably ultimately kill him, getting to the bottom of it, but that'd be Olyvar's problem. They'll retract that trial against Loras, because they'll no longer have evidence, or a credible witness. Why would Olyvar do this? The same reason he is all smiles while he confesses that he slept with Loras "many times" to a psychotic, homophobic, fundamentalist group that he, himself, witnessed murdering homosexuals on sight. The guy is clearly not bright. I imagine he will do whatever Littlefinger tells him to do.

They don't need to believe his testimony. Once he changes his story and casts at least some doubt on his original testimony, he will be useless as a witness. The Faith will no longer consider what he has to say as evidence. His confession is no longer pure, in other words. I do think they will torture him, and probably ultimately kill him, getting to the bottom of it, but that'd be Olyvar's problem. They'll retract that trial against Loras, because they'll no longer have evidence, or a credible witness. Why would Olyvar do this? The same reason he is all smiles while he confesses that he slept with Loras "many times" to a psychotic, homophobic, fundamentalist group that he, himself, witnessed murdering homosexuals on sight. The guy is clearly not bright. I imagine he will do whatever Littlefinger tells him to do.

You have a point that this would explain his extreme smugness, believing he was protected both by LF and the Queen. But, I'm not sure...not that the show needs to make sense...how the "crimes" associated w/procuring false testimony would lead to the walk of shame. She is specifically punished in a sexualized way for her sexuality in the books, she's punished for having sex which is the only one of the crimes they proved.....so it would be kind of strange and over the top that she receives a walking through the streets naked punishment if the only crime the handsome boy has on her is setting up the Tyrells.

It was lancel ... That is y they had that little scene with them both when littlefinger arrived in Kings landing. It's probably just that lancel knew littlefinger knew about him. Lancel told the faith some stuff but was slowly opening up about it and didnt want it to be littlefinger who told the faith

I do not believe it is Lancel.

Upon joining the faith he was baptised in essence by confessing his sins. With the Faith militant being the most radical of the faith i highly doubt he is working for LF

Olyvar is the only realistic choice he worked for LF in the past and cersei will have known he was loras squire and worked in the brothel.

LF organised with cersei for Olyvar to testify against Loras.

LF has now organised for Olyvar to vanish or give a different testimony at the trial

The HS said the faith only need reason to suspect for there to be an actual trial

Margery and Loras will be released and house Tyrell will be in debt to LF

Margery will take the place of cersei in Tommens Ear and will learn of the Bolton Threat

either way LF is in line to become Warden of the North.

LF will then be Lord of Harrenhall & Warden of the North.

He could quite easily marry sansa to little Robyn he has an accident and LF marries Sansa and his game for the throne marches on

Let's look at possible options:

1. Lancel - this is the simplest solution, but on closer examination this does not work: I agree that Lancel is not for Littlefinger to give;

He must have confessed his sins long ago, otherwise it would be a very bizarre and unrealistic writing: Lancel becomes "born again", participates if pogroms organised by Faith, but keeps his sins for himslef, until immoral Littlefinger tips off Tyrells / High Septon about those? Would not the Faith punish Lancel for keeping his sins for himself for so long? High Septon says that a young man came to him...

2. Olyvar - this could work, if LF gets him murdered or he changes the testimony, but why would they trust a 2nd testimony more thn the 1st? Anyway I believe Olyvar still seems more logical than Lancel.

3. Robin Arryn - I understand "A handsome Young Man" is an expression, but somehow I can not see sweetobin quolifying as one... besides whats his use for Tyrells? some said they are goung to crown him - I am sorry but this does not work - Robin has no ZERO claim to the Iron Throne - there is no way they can crown him without a huge civil war/confusion in the country, besides even if they succeed in this conspiracy - this is a long term process - bringing army of Arryn, slaughtering people in KL, etc... How exactly is this going to help Loras and Margery? They are the priority for Olenna, not the Iron Throne. LF is offering her a gift that will help her to save/iprove the situation of her grandchildren, and Robin Arryn is definitely of little help when it comes to pending trial. If they hope he will bring the Army of Vale to scare the Faith… well the Tyrells have even bigger Army but High Septon seems not to care…

5. fAegon - whell, if suddenly the faith becomes very supportive of fAegon (why?) then after getting the crown he could help Loras and Margery by Royal decree, crackdown on the church, etc but is not it too complicated? If Tommen is unable to attack the Faith today, whill the newly crowned fAegon able to do it Tomorrow?

6. Jon, Ramsey, Greyjoys and Essos gang are too far away to matter at this point.

So, in conclusion, it seems to me it is either Lancel (making the writing sloppy), Olyvar (there is still hope they can come up with a logical explanation/justification) or someone we totally do not expect…The Mountain maybe?????

I think it's bad writing, in all likelihood, and it's a combination of Lancel and Olyvar. Lancel is the most obvious choice, given how the confrontation of Cersei scene was filmed.

Lancel is occam's razor. However, LF can't influence him, and he already confessed his sins. D&D's lazy explanation? He didn't confess them directly to the High Sparrow, but LF tipped off the HS to talk to Lancel. Why does Lancel alone also not work? Olenna certainly wants Cersei punished, but she's like Tywin, family is her first priority. Punishing Cersei is meaningless to her if she can't save Loras and Margaerey. Unless Olyvar sleeps with the fishes, they still go down.

So, to form an alliance with, or at least just be in the good graces of, the Tyrells, LF puts in motion for it to be brought to the HS' attention Lancel's sins involved sleeping with the Queen-Regent/Queen Grandmother, and he will make sure Olyvar doesn't testify. That way Olenna gets what she wants, her grandkids back with Cersei out of the way, and LF gets what he wants - given that his ultimate move is for the Iron Throne, he'd rather have a Cersei-less Tommen on the throne that Stannis or whoever else.

Just my $0.02

I don't think that LF will play the incest card bringing Gendry into the game because then Stannis would be king. Tommen and the Tyrells would loose their claim immediatly.

And i think Olenna knows what it means if the accusation of incest comes true. So you can't really call this a gift in this situation.

Unless he anticipates a Council to be called and he rigs it so Gendry is legitimised. Off Tommen, try and palm Marge on another king.

Reading the Sweetrobin suggestions in this thread....what about Harry Hardyng? From what we know about him he's handsome.

Even if it is just Sweetrobin, this makes me worry that Sansa wash shuffled off to play victim and Theon's morality pet in Winterfell so that Margaery could take over her plot in the Vale in order to give Natalie Dormer something to do other than sitting around in a prison cell (and possibly being executed). If the show can keep Bronn around, then the same is true for Margaery and the Queen of Throns (if Margaery is going to die in WoW that is)

Another (rather flimsy) bit that makes me think that Magaery will still take another grasp for power (pssibly aided by LF's "Handsome Young Man") is something I read in an article about the costumes in the series that the Tyrells will "show their true colours" and switch from teal to green once they are at the zenit of their power. Since we have yet to see Natalie sport a proper green dress (in which she would look absolutely stunning) we can speculate that this is yet to come (or that this decision was changed)

Of course I'd be cheesed that Sansa was basically regressed to her state in Season 2 just to give Natalie more scenes, but at the same time I don't really want her to exit the series yet.

As to the extemd as how this would further LF's plans...he knows the Tyrells like Sansa (genuinely in the show, it seems. rather than just faking it as in the books) so perhaps he plans to install Margaery as Lady of the Vale who then could support Sansa's (and thus his own) raise to power...

You mean the heretic who worships a fire demon ? The Faith would sooner crown Gendry than lat Stannis be King.

You mean the heretic who worships a fire demon ? The Faith would sooner crown Gendry than lat Stannis be King.

The heretic has an army and many people in KL is rather fed up with the Lannisters. And he and his red witch won't mind to pass over the sparrows who are the heretics in their eyes.

Has anyone mentioned that the handsome young man could be Rickon? Its a long shot, but if we think about it, LF wants to be Warden of the North. And he's been roaming around the North for awhile, and could have discovered he was alive. He may have Sansa's death already planned, so perhaps he's going to tell Olenna "I'm going to be warden of the North, and a Highgarden/North alliance could be very powerful. Let's find Rickon together and destroy him, since he may be the last rival claim to the North".

Its far fetched and doesn't make as much sense as some of the other suggestions, but often the plot chosen is not the one that makes the most sense. :P. Just throwing it out there as another possibility.

Lancel is already a pawn of the high sparrow- he was just waiting for the moment. Oliver is a pawn of Littlefinger- even The Queen of Thorns gets that. Just because Littlefinger 'gifted' him to Cersai doesn't mean he 'gave him to her'. Littlefinger is creepy- but he does kill his pawns unless they trade sides.

killing Oliver would spell guilt for Margery and Loras- they have to be sneakier. They have to show Cersai's/ Lannister convoluted game in action- and what better way than to deliver a bastard who was visited by two hands of the king, who died shortly after. I believe the handsome young man is Gendry.

Chased by the gold cloaks, The other bastards killed- to hell with with the looks- his story reeks of suspicion.I'm more interested in how Gendry will respond- hating high borns now- and after the show's run in with Millisandre I'm really thinking he is not going to be to keen on any kind of Margery advances.

Archived