Most Charismatic Character in Asoiaf

Frey Pie

Syrio, a minor character whom I still remember. What he has to say about "seeing correctly" is key to a lot of things, and he conveys it in a memorable way.

Also Oberyn.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot Asha. She almost won that moot, impressive, considering the way Greyjoys feel about women.

Olenna!!!

Didn't read all the propositions. But Mance Rayder is, for me, better by far than anyone on the initial list. Robert was a good one, but incompetent ruler. Most proposed characters are able to attract a few followers, surfing on partisan ideas (freedom, spoil, revenge, whatever..). But bringing your opponents and everyone on your side is what charismatic means to me.

Robert and Rhaegar were clearly the two top dogs of their era. Arthur Dayne the sword of the Morning was too really charismatic, he inspired every young knights of the realm even more so than Barristan the Bold who was also among the great men. Brandon Stark was also one of the big men of that era, everyone remember the reckless guy who went to fight Rhaegar, Jaime was seen to talk about him by twice going as far as compare himself to him and coming from someone as arrogant as Jaime it's quite telling ("There are no men like me. There's only me."). Ned who always felt inferior to him. Oberyn was too, as someone else stated. 

In the young generation, Renly was charismatic but clearly not as much as his brother.

No. Dragons can't be charismatic. At least her freedman and her khalasar does not follow the dragons.

I disagree. She has power just because of her dragons. Without them she wouldn't had an army, she maybe would had Barri though if she was still alive but he is hardly an army.

Tyrion seems to lack charisma in the book and actually seems to repel a lot of people based on his looks and snark.

Regarding Dany, if by outside the story you mean to the readers I think you're overestimating her charms to a lot of readers based on her thoughts and external dialogue. I know she has her diehard fans but there are lots that aren't drawn to her at all as she's fairly polarizing. Personally I find her dull as cardboard. We are basically told she is charismatic in the story so people like me often just roll with it and play along despite not feeling it is being adequately shown unless her speaking cadences or looks (creepily for a 13-14 year old) play an enormous role in this supposed charisma. Maybe it would help more if we had additional POVs regularly interacting with her to give us more to work with.

I love the character but I can't see how he'd be viewed as charming to most in the story. He seems to be viewed as weaselly and opportunistic and probably rude. Even the little passage of him as a kid in Dunk and Egg has him being viewed as annoying. 

That's because those northmen don't have a sense of humour.  People just need to listen to Walder's dialogue.  I don't own the audio books but was fortunate enough to briefly listen to AGOT, ACOK, and ASOS in English and Walder's lines were just delights when read by Roy Dotrice.   Give it a listen.  I think you might change your mind.  I can appreciate it even if English isnt' my first language.  Walder is just funny as anyone can be.

That's because those northmen don't have a sense of humour.  People just need to listen to Walder's dialogue.  I don't own the audio books but was fortunate enough to briefly listen to AGOT, ACOK, and ASOS in English and Walder's lines were just delights when read by Roy Dotrice.   Give it a listen.  I think you might change your mind.  I can appreciate it even if English isnt' my first language.  Walder is just funny as anyone can be.

I already think he's entertaining in his own cantankerous way. His comedy was just ahead of its time in the feudal era.

I disagree. She has power just because of her dragons. Without them she wouldn't had an army, she maybe would had Barri though if she was still alive but he is hardly an army.

Irrelevant. Having dragons and a big army does not guarantee charisma. 

Oberyn and Littlefinger probably

I don't know why the quoting system is so messed up.... I was trying to quote post #3 on the first page, the one saying that Ned is thought to he cold and dull, and that Littlefinger and Loras wrre more charismatic...anyway. ..

How the heck is Littlefinger charismatic? Who did he ever attract or inspire by this supposed charisma? The only people who ever even liked him are Lysa, and perhaps some of his servants, but the latter are people he is paying. Most people mistrust him or despise him.

For that matter, how exactly is Loras charismatic? 

Ned, on the other hand, is loved and respected by everyone in the North other than the Boltons and Lady Dustin, and the latter has a grudge against his family. People are indeed inspired to go to war for the loyalty to him - even after his death, northern clansmen are ready to go to war to defend "The Ned's Little Girl". That fits the definition of charisma to a T.

He is "said to be cold and dull"? By who? The Lannisters?

Sure. I disagree though. People with WMD have more followers because they have the power that creates fear not because they are charismatic.

Dany has a huge following because people love her and adore her. She inspires loyalty. They think of her as "Mother". That's charisma. Trying to deny that because you dislike her is pretty silly and seems to come from the "someone I dislike is not allowed to have any positive qualities whatsoever" school of thought.

Also, your theory about dragons will have merit if you manage to prove that Aenys I had the same following as Dany.

Archived