US Politics - Why we can't have even mediocre things

Larry of the Lawn

How can it be a hoax bomb if you never claim it's a bomb?

There's no supporting this silliness. He was brown and had a scary arab name so they called the cops when he brought something with circuit boards to school.

I think the theory is that, if you squint, you could be afraid it was a bomb if it was left somewhere unattended.  So, in theory, Ahmed could have left it somewhere later with the intent to cause a bomb scare, but because it was caught by the English teacher earlier (and by caught, I mean Ahmed showed it to the teacher after it accidentally went off in class) he was prevented from enacting his scheme, and his excuse for carrying it around was that it was a fun project for him.  That's how you get to "it was a hoax bomb despite him denying it was a bomb at every opportunity."

Pretend you think the world works exactly like on 24, and it makes more sense.  

There's also the fact that yesterday was Maker day at Ahmed's school, and they were making clocks, but all they were doing were drawing dots on paper plates, like some lame arts & crafts from a kindergarten rather than a highschool.  Seems obvious Ahmed understood his school was missing the point of Maker day.   I heard there was something about the makerspace in the school's facebook page but looks like it was deleted.  Wish I could link to it but the school's twitter is now blocked.  The google cache of the twitter account doesn't cache past the 12th.

Nobody actually thought it was a bomb, because nobody was evacuated.

I'm more of a reader in these threads but: Saw a quite interesting graphic on where the Republican candidates stand on certain issues. http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/debates/gop-issues/

I'm not sure it really helps me decide which one I dislike the least but still interesting. Kasich with exception of IS seems to be the least out of line with my thinking, which is probably why he's miles down in the polls. :P

I think the theory is that, if you squint, you could be afraid it was a bomb if it was left somewhere unattended.  So, in theory, Ahmed could have left it somewhere later with the intent to cause a bomb scare, but because it was caught by the English teacher earlier (and by caught, I mean Ahmed showed it to the teacher after it accidentally went off in class) he was prevented from enacting his scheme, and his excuse for carrying it around was that it was a fun project for him.  That's how you get to "it was a hoax bomb despite him denying it was a bomb at every opportunity."

Pretend you think the world works exactly like on 24, and it makes more sense.  

Right but the problem then is that anything people might think is a bomb despite you saying it isn't one qualifies.

"OMG, that kids wearing a backpack! It could be a bomb!"

"It's just my school backpack!"

"Don't give me your bomb hoax denials!"

Right but the problem then is that anything people might think is a bomb despite you saying it isn't one qualifies.

Well yeah.  Its really dumb, which is why the prevailing opinion seems to be "what the fuck, Texas" rather than anything else.  

Someone who intended to make a hoax bomb and got before the hoaxing, would probably say that it wasn't a hoax bomb.  This is clearly not the case in this situation.  And yes, we do run into that overreaction which is a problem.

Someone who intended to make a hoax bomb and got before the hoaxing, would probably say that it wasn't a hoax bomb.  This is clearly not the case in this situation.  And yes, we do run into that overreaction which is a problem.

Which is indistinguishable from someone not doing anything at all. Which is why the accusation is stupid as hell.

The story of how anti-Muslim fearmongering led to a 9th grader getting arrested and led away in handcuffs for bringing his homemade clock to school and showing his teachers:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-family-adjusting-to-ahmed-mohamed-s-sudden-fame-as-police-announce-no-charges-for-clock-deemed-hoax-bomb.ece

The stupidity and ignorance on parade from the "authorities" in this story is blood-boiling. See, America? This is why we can't have nice things.

Social media has jumped all over this story, and President Obama tweeted an invitation for the kid to come visit the White House. With his clock.

The main issue here is that the kid is a Muslim. If it was a white kid with a toy gun wearing a pro 2A t-shirt I doubt he'd be getting an invite from the WH.

The main issue here is that the kid is a Muslim. If it was a white kid with a toy gun wearing a pro 2A t-shirt I doubt he'd be getting an invite from the WH.

Only you could try and spin Barry's invitation as something bad/sinister/ulterior .

How is comparing a child bringing a banned item to school comparable to a child bringing a clock to school?

Maybe instead wonder what would have happened to a white kid who brought a homemade clock to school. I agree that he probably wouldn't be getting an invite to the White House.

Or a white kid builds a bomb, a nuclear reactor, and a device that can detect nuclear materials in cargo and not only is he NOT arrested http://mentalfloss.com/article/28576/mad-scientist-month-whos-afraid-taylor-wilson

but he gets invited to the White House. http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jun/20/taylor-wilson-nuclear-teen-genius-science-interview

Steve Wozniak placed a fake beeping bomb in a locker, and then the principal opened it, and the fake bomb beeped faster (as) programmed by Steve, and the principal took the bomb and ran into the football field clutching it in his chest, pulling the wires out.

Steve Wozniak placed a fake beeping bomb in a locker, and then the principal opened it, and the fake bomb beeped faster (as) programmed by Steve, and the principal took the bomb and ran into the football field clutching it in his chest, pulling the wires out.

To be fair, I doubt Wozniak would have gotten away with that in a post columbine world.

Archived