What's a good whiskey?

Tellus Explorer

On December 12, 2015 at 0:31 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

I didn't want to start a new thread for this question. We have any wine connoisseurs out there? I want to get a nice bottle for a friend, but I know next to nil about wine. I just know that she prefers reds.

Ignore what she has said and give her a decent white wine as a benevolant gesture.

Red wine, yecht###%yuk!

White wine for anyone that likes red is a terrible idea, plus that post was from almost a year ago.....however I'll throw in my two cents on both red wine and whiskey:

As a gift, you can never ever go wrong with Bertani Amarone, should be able to pick up an 07 from any respectable wine shop.

As for whiskey, popular category right now, go with something not many people know, Dad's Hat Rye out of Bristol PA is awesome and very reasonably priced.  Or anything from High West out of Utah is really really good.

6 hours ago, Nas! said:

Bought myself a couple of nice birthday gifts last night (I've been an extra good boy this past year by quitting smoking after 24 years): 

The Lagavulin 8, which will be a good one for the collection provided they don't turn it into a regular offering. 

Bowmore 15 Darkest.  Had a taste of this last night and really enjoyed it.  Looking forward to meeting it again soon.

Lagavulin has become my favorite distillery.  I like most Islays, but the Lagavulin 16 that I had was head and shoulders above the next best.  Sadly, it's hard to find those styles around here.  A lot of Highland stuff, plenty of blends...and those things are fine.  But Laphroaig and Lagavulin have become my gold standards.

Enjoy :)

Thanks, LL.  I'm still learning the subtleties of whisky, but I definitely favour the Islay scotches so far. The Laphroaig 10, Quarter Cask, and Ardbeg 10 are my touchstones.  I've had the Lagavulin 16, but I haven't turned out my pockets to buy a bottle yet.  The Caol Ila 10 was a highlight, too.  I think I'll open the Lagavulin 8 tonight--I'm expecting some rough edges.  Has anyone here tried it?

4 hours ago, Nas! said:

Thanks, LL.  I'm still learning the subtleties of whisky, but I definitely favour the Islay scotches so far. The Laphroaig 10, Quarter Cask, and Ardbeg 10 are my touchstones.  I've had the Lagavulin 16, but I haven't turned out my pockets to buy a bottle yet.  The Caol Ila 10 was a highlight, too.  I think I'll open the Lagavulin 8 tonight--I'm expecting some rough edges.  Has anyone here tried it?

I am certainly a novice, still.  I only got turned onto whiskeys about a year and a half ago.  A Kiwi friend of mine made me start trying the good stuff.  Nothing wrong with liking Jack, Jim, or Jameson...but they're not for me.  I've not had the Lagavulin 8.  Ardbeg 10... I will keep an eye for that :)

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm seconding the Laphroaig suggestion. I had a glass not too long ago and it has replaced Glenfiddich 18 as my new favorite.

I get a lot of stuff in Duty Free and I often see kinda specialty varieties.  I enjoy Glenfiddich, most recent one was their Age of Exploration offering.  It was good, but not amazing.  I liked the 18 more.  My friend's got a 15 on his shelf that we're hoping to break open either today or tomorrow.

As for "Whatever is in front of you," that answer seems to allow Cutty Sark... mixed, sure, but I'll be col' n' ded' a'fore I drink that straight. :D

On 10/13/2016 at 2:54 AM, Lightning Lord said:

Lagavulin has become my favorite distillery.  I like most Islays, but the Lagavulin 16 that I had was head and shoulders above the next best.  Sadly, it's hard to find those styles around here.  A lot of Highland stuff, plenty of blends...and those things are fine.  But Laphroaig and Lagavulin have become my gold standards.

Enjoy :)

Same. Laphroaig was my introduction to Scotch, but Lagavulin 16 became my celebratory favorite. Right now though, I'm sitting on a bottle of Talisker and a Bowmore 12. 

Lagavulin 16 really is excellent. It's almost boringly perfect, like it's hard to talk about what it is that makes it good. Unfortunately it's too expensive for me to have regularly. Laphroaig 10 is my go-to whisky that's relatively low-cost but still very good.

6 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Same. Laphroaig was my introduction to Scotch, but Lagavulin 16 became my celebratory favorite. Right now though, I'm sitting on a bottle of Talisker and a Bowmore 12. 

5 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Lagavulin 16 really is excellent. It's almost boringly perfect, like it's hard to talk about what it is that makes it good. Unfortunately it's too expensive for me to have regularly. Laphroaig 10 is my go-to whisky that's relatively low-cost but still very good.

Exactly.  I just had a couple glasses of Glenfididch... something (at my mate's place, I didn't look too closely) and it was okay.  But, it was just okay.  It was a perfectly reasonable drink, but nothing special.

Damn, I need to track down some La(phroaig/gavulin) before the semester ensds.

Archived