New hammer of waters

LordImp

the hammer has been used two times , the breaking of the arm and flooding of the Neck. Does anyone belive it will be used again? Im thinking that Bran might eventually use the hammer again. 

There is no such thing as the hammer of waters. It is a myth made to explain sea rise and the northern swamp 

I don't see the point of it. Sure its impressive to re-arrange the geography and all but in the end of it, its an empty strike in the air. With human naval technology pretty much any water barrier can be crossed at this time in Westeros, so I don't see how it would actually achieve much.

Not really. Depending on the target, it could very well could some major damage. I mean, could you imagine what a Hammer hitting the coast of the Westerlands and obliterating Lannisport would do to the Lannisters? Or how much the Reach would suffer if Oldtown and the Arbor were smashed?

Not really. Depending on the target, it could very well could some major damage. I mean, could you imagine what a Hammer hitting the coast of the Westerlands and obliterating Lannisport would do to the Lannisters? Or how much the Reach would suffer if Oldtown and the Arbor were smashed?

It may absolutely be a hit for the Lannisters or the Tyrells, but what will come then, or do you think that there will be happy-ever-after scenario after these Houses are hurt? The Lannisters will retain their gold and the Tyrells their agriculture. And history shows that just because one issue has been settled, there won't come new ones. And then considering how many thousands of smallfolk who will die for a most temporary revenge for the Starks, that won't win them back just about anything, then it sounds more like Aerys' burning King's Landing than anything else.

I think a disaster, natural or otherwise, could be in store for Westeros. Specifically, I've wondered if we could see the continent turn into three separate land masses, splitting at the Neck and the Wall. Those two areas are quite a bit narrower than most of the rest of the continent, and would likely be easier to "break" than the rest.

Another possibility is that they could become submerged, assuming those points are at relatively low elevations.

Map of Westeros

It's probably worth noting that it didn't work right the last time, back when there were many greenseer's attempting it and magic was stronger than it is today. Though magic is on the rise again and Bran could be a special kinda greenseer.  Still I don't think it's likely. 

It may absolutely be a hit for the Lannisters or the Tyrells, but what will come then, or do you think that there will be happy-ever-after scenario after these Houses are hurt? The Lannisters will retain their gold and the Tyrells their agriculture. And history shows that just because one issue has been settled, there won't come new ones. And then considering how many thousands of smallfolk who will die for a most temporary revenge for the Starks, that won't win them back just about anything, then it sounds more like Aerys' burning King's Landing than anything else.

You seem to be assuming a lot of things from my one post. I'm not saying there will be any happy-ever-after end and I don't even believe there will be another Hammer of the Waters. I'm arguing that if it was to happen, it wouldn't just be a useless and empty action.

There is no such thing as the hammer of waters. It is a myth made to explain sea rise and the northern swamp 

The hammer of the waters doesn't have to be a literal hammer, likely isn't...

An action by the Children that made the seas rise, breaking the arm of Dorn or flooding the Neck could be "calling the hammer of the waters" (even if that is something like a comet, or melting ice caps, or sinking land)...

Now if you want to say that something like this happened, and the Children are just getting credit for it, then I'd be interested to hear why... because I think there is abundant evidence of major, geographic changing, events.

The hammer of the waters doesn't have to be a literal hammer, likely isn't...

An action by the Children that made the seas rise, breaking the arm of Dorn or flooding the Neck could be "calling the hammer of the waters" (even if that is something like a comet, or melting ice caps, or sinking land)...

Now if you want to say that something like this happened, and the Children are just getting credit for it, then I'd be interested to hear why... because I think there is abundant evidence of major, geographic changing, events.

And the abundant evidence of major geographic changing events is? As far as I can remember, all we have is legend 

You seem to be assuming a lot of things from my one post. I'm not saying there will be any happy-ever-after end and I don't even believe there will be another Hammer of the Waters. I'm arguing that if it was to happen, it wouldn't just be a useless and empty action.

Yes, I assume it was another run-off-the-mill pro-Stark post. Perhaps I was wrong and perhaps I was not. But in the end, the previous Hammers of Water ammounted to nothing as far as I can tell in regards to the task it was made for, so I doubt that a new Hammer of Water will be any different.

Legend says that the great floods that broke the land bridge that is now the Broken Arm and made the Neck a swamp were the work of the greenseers, who gathered at Moat Cailin to work dark magic. . . . What became of Valyria is well-known, and in the Iron Islands, the castle of Pyke sits on stacks of stone that were once part of the greater island before segments of it crumbled into the sea.

Beneath the castle walls, the waves still smash against the remaining rock stacks day and night, and one day those too will doubtless crash into the sea.

I think the Hammer of the Waters will hit Pyke. I imagine the Drowned Man, Damphair, dying by drowning. Oh, the irony. 

Of course, in reality these changes take thousands of years, but since we're in fiction and have seen lots of myths growing into reality: Why not? But I originally thought, the opposite could happen. The Long Winter could be an "Ice Age" that may reconnect some parts of Westeros or the Way to Essos.

Legend says that the great floods that broke the land bridge that is now the Broken Arm and made the Neck a swamp were the work of the greenseers, who gathered at Moat Cailin to work dark magic. . . . What became of Valyria is well-known, and in the Iron Islands, the castle of Pyke sits on stacks of stone that were once part of the greater island before segments of it crumbled into the sea.

Beneath the castle walls, the waves still smash against the remaining rock stacks day and night, and one day those too will doubtless crash into the sea.

I think the Hammer of the Waters will hit Pyke. I imagine the Drowned Man, Damphair, dying by drowning. Oh, the irony. 

Actually i think the hammer once hit Pyke , separting the Iron Islands from mainland Westeros. But yeah something is in store for Pyke.

Well, someone finally posted some claimed evidence on the Hammer.
Notabily, the sunken places are thousands of miles away from the two theoretical places where the Hammer would have hit.
Also, I would like to know how it was for the lizard-lions: are they almost flat because the Hammer got them in the head? Where they cursory bipedals up until the Hammer, and then learned to swim not to leave their old beloved savannas-turned-swamps? Did they evolve from "normal" 5-inches long lizards in the time between the Hammer and today, let's say some 10.000 years in the best case scenario?

Actually i think the hammer once hit Pyke , separting the Iron Islands from mainland Westeros. But yeah something is in store for Pyke.

I think it more likely it once hit Wyk. The legend of the Grey King has the sea drown out his hall, and he supposedly made a longboat from a heart tree. Old Wyk and Great Wyk could have once been one big island until the Grey King cut down the heart tree, pissing off and warring with the CotF who responded by sending the Hammer of the Waters to his hall an separating Wyk into two islands. 

Old Hammer and New Hammer:

The shore was all sharp rocks and glowering cliffs, and the castle seemed one with the rest, its towers and walls and bridges quarried from the same grey-black stone, wet by the same salt waves, festooned with the same spreading patches of dark green lichen, speckled by the droppings of the same seabirds. The point of land on which the Greyjoys had raised their fortress had once thrust like a sword into the bowels of the ocean, but the waves had hammered at it day and night until the land broke and shattered, thousands of years past. All that remained were three bare and barren islands and a dozen towering stacks of rock that rose from the water like the pillars of some sea god’s temple, while the angry waves foamed and crashed among them.

(...)

It is likelier that the inundation of the Neck and the breaking of the Arm were natural events, possibly caused by a natural sinking of the land. What became of Valyria is well-known, and in the Iron Islands, the castle of Pyke sits on stacks of stone that were once part of the greater island before segments of it crumbled into the sea.

(...)

The Sea Tower rose from the outmost island at the point of the broken sword, the oldest part of the castle, round and tall, the sheer-sided pillar on which it stood half-eaten through by the endless battering of the waves. The base of the tower was white from centuries of salt spray, the upper stories green from the lichen that crawled over it like a thick blanket, the jagged crown black with soot from its nightly watchfire.

(...)

Pyke is so ancient that no one can say with certainty when it was built, nor name the lord who built it. Like the Seastone Chair, its origins are lost in mystery.
(...)

Pyke is neither the largest nor the grandest castle on the Iron Islands, but it may well be the oldest, and it is from there that the lords of House Greyjoy rule the ironborn. It has long been their contention that the isle of Pyke takes its name from the castle; the smallfolk of the islands insist the opposite is true.

(Thats because the castle is older than the Hammer of Waters. Therefore it gives name to the "new island" that was created by the hammer)

(....)

Once, centuries ago, Pyke was as other castles: built upon solid stone on a cliff overlooking the sea, with a wall and keeps and towers. But the cliffs it rested upon were not as solid as they seemed, and beneath the endless pounding of the waves, they began to crumble. Walls fell, the ground gave way, outer buildings were lost.

What remains of Pyke today is a complex of towers and keeps scattered across half a dozen islets and sea stacks above the booming waves

(...)

Visions danced before her (Melisandre), gold and scarlet, flickering, forming and melting and dissolving into one another, shapes strange and terrifying and seductive. She saw the eyeless faces again, staring out at her from sockets weeping blood. Then the towers by the sea, crumbling as the dark tide came sweeping over them, rising from the depths. Shadows in the shape of skulls, skulls that turned to mist, bodies locked together in lust, writhing and rolling and clawing. Through curtains of fire great winged shadows wheeled against a hard blue sky.

(....)

Wildlings massing, Ser Denys believes. He thinks they are going to try to force the Bridge of Skulls again.”

“Some may.” Could the skulls in her vision have signified this bridge? Somehow Melisandre did not think so. “If it comes, that attack will be no more than a diversion. I saw towers by the sea, submerged beneath a black and bloody tide. That is where the heaviest blow will fall.”

“Eastwatch?”

Was it? Melisandre had seen Eastwatch-by-the-Sea with King Stannis. That was where His Grace left Queen Selyse and their daughter Shireen when he assembled his knights for the march to Castle Black. The towers in her fire had been different, but that was oft the way with visions. “Yes. Eastwatch, my lord.”

(....)

I can totally see Pyke being hit by a HoW. the imagery just screams that it will be hit again by the waves.

Aeron should also be killed then:

Outside, beneath the snoring of his drowned men and the keening of the wind, he could hear the pounding of the waves, the hammer of his god calling him to battle. Aeron crept from his little shelter into the chill of the night. Naked he stood, pale and gaunt and tall, and naked he walked into the black salt sea. The water was icy cold, yet he did not flinch from his god’s caress. A wave smashed against his chest, staggering him. The next broke over his head. He could taste the salt on his lips and feel the god around him, and his ears rang with the glory of his song.

Consider the Drowned priests traditions:

Aeron took a leather skin from Rus, freshly filled with water from the sea. The priest pulled out the cork and took a swallow.

They drink sea water.

It was a bleak, cold morning, and the sea was as leaden as the sky. The first three men had offered their lives to the Drowned God fearlessly, but the fourth was weak in faith and began to struggle as his lungs cried out for air. Standing waist-deep in the surf, Aeron seized the naked boy by the shoulders and pushed his head back down as he tried to snatch a breath. “Have courage,” he said. “We came from the sea, and to the sea we must return. Open your mouth and drink deep of god’s blessing. Fill your lungs with water, that you may die and be reborn. It does no good to fight.”

Either the boy could not hear him with his head beneath the waves, or else his faith had utterly deserted him. He began to kick and thrash so wildly that Aeron had to call for help. Four of his drowned men waded out to seize the wretch and hold him underwater. “Lord God who drowned for us,” the priest prayed, in a voice as deep as the sea, “let Emmond your servant be reborn from the sea, as you were. Bless him with salt, bless him with stone, bless him with steel.”

They drown people as a sort of baptism

Lord Quellon never returned from his last voyage; the Drowned God in his goodness granted him a death at sea.

(...)

“Throw the dying in the sea. If any beg for mercy, cut their throats first.” He had only contempt for such; better to drown on seawater than on blood.

They consider drowning as a sacred death...

. Down to the pebbled beach they would go, to drown Benfred Tallhart in salt water. The old way.

in fact its the way they execute people

Hagen lowered his horn. “If we die with dry feet, how will we find our way to the Drowned God’s watery halls?”

“These woods are full of little streams,” Cromm assured him. “All of them lead to rivers, and all the rivers to the sea.”

(...)

“We were born from the sea, and to the sea we all return,”

and that dying in the sea is the only way to reach paradise.

the priest said. “Kneel, that I might bless you.” Lord Merlyn sank to his knees, and Aeron uncorked his skin and poured a stream of seawater on his bald pate.

They bless the ironborn by pouring their heads with seawater

The priest’s robes crackled as he pulled them down, still stiff with salt from their last washing a fortnight past. The wool clung to his wet chest, drinking the brine that ran down from his hair. He filled his waterskin and slung it over his shoulder.

they only wash their clothes with sea water.

I think a HoW would be a fitting death for the drowned priest Aeron.

the hammer has been used two times , the breaking of the arm and flooding of the Neck. Does anyone belive it will be used again? Im thinking that Bran might eventually use the hammer again. 

That's the CotF claiming to have more power than they actually do.  If they had that much power the First Men would have lost.  The Neck and the Stepstones went because the ice melted and the ocean level went up.

Archived